Star Wars Tales of the Empire - May 4th 2024 (Disney+)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what its like? Disney shoehorning this stuff constantly is like when you get told as a child, "Let's go on this fun activity, kids!" and you and your friends excitedly wait all week for said activity, you get there and its 15 minutes of the activity and the rest of the time is a church service you got tricked into attending. Perhaps I am just a grump. Probably. Most likely.

nobody-got-time-for-that.gif

You know what its like? Disney shoehorning this stuff constantly is like when you get told as a child, "Let's go on this fun activity, kids!" and you and your friends excitedly wait all week for said activity, you get there and its 15 minutes of the activity and the rest of the time is a church service you got tricked into attending. Perhaps I am just a grump. Probably. Most likely.

View attachment 701908
I wasn't suggesting that you or anyone else should be reported by the way. It was just a general wondering. Are people finding it so objectionable that stuff like this gets brought up that they're reporting it to mods.

I wasn't suggesting that you or anyone else should be reported by the way. It was just a general wondering. Are people finding it so objectionable that stuff like this gets brought up that they're reporting it to mods.
In my experience, yes, folk get angry seeing different opinions on hot button issues and report. Also, most mods on the net lean the same way so will usually oblige. Enforcement on most platforms leans one way so you end up with the so called silent majority who all self sensor to avoid trouble. It is the same but in opposite direction in the few platforms that specifically cater to the other side.

As for the cartoon, I have yet to watch it. I still need to push myself to watch the most recent season of TBB first. From what I have read it is less filler (given the runtime hiw could it be loaded with filler?) And is dark in tone. Might enjoy it. Maybe.

... both in real life and media. It’s not that deep, 0 reason to get worked up over it.

Could that scene in question be misinterpreted from the creator's intent? Yes, it's possible.

Could that scene simply be a function of poorly communicating the dialogue to the audience, or a subset of it? Yes, it's possible.

Could the scene be created simply for open malice without regard to the actual functional storyline? Yes, that too is possible.

Could the scene be "coded" as a type of "dog whistle" to push a certain message or agenda but be just vague enough to attempt to create fuel for future gaslighting? Yes, that's also an option on the table.

Here's where I believe the rubber meets the road - Whatever people's "take" on this will be, it's evident The Big Mouse has lost the basic benefit of the doubt with a large cross section of it's potential and existing audience. That's not a good thing. That's really bad business. Losing the benefit of the doubt for such a storied long standing franchise like Star Wars, iconic in every way, just doesn't come out of nowhere.

I agree with Bill Burr above, that people will inherently desire to understand how "two people got to this place to start" Things at this kind of scale just don't happen out of nowhere. It's not a justification. It's not a blanket excuse. It's not a free pass for actions taken. It's not attempting to wash away real sin that people do to each other. But demanding silence rarely works on anyone.

Could that scene in question be misinterpreted from the creator's intent? Yes, it's possible.

Could that scene simply be a function of poorly communicating the dialogue to the audience, or a subset of it? Yes, it's possible.

Could the scene be created simply for open malice without regard to the actual functional storyline? Yes, that too is possible.

Could the scene be "coded" as a type of "dog whistle" to push a certain message or agenda but be just vague enough to attempt to create fuel for future gaslighting? Yes, that's also an option on the table.

Here's where I believe the rubber meets the road - Whatever people's "take" on this will be, it's evident The Big Mouse has lost the basic benefit of the doubt with a large cross section of it's potential and existing audience. That's not a good thing. That's really bad business. Losing the benefit of the doubt for such a storied long standing franchise like Star Wars, iconic in every way, just doesn't come out of nowhere.

I agree with Bill Burr above, that people will inherently desire to understand how "two people got to this place to start" Things at this kind of scale just don't happen out of nowhere. It's not a justification. It's not a blanket excuse. It's not a free pass for actions taken. It's not attempting to wash away real sin that people do to each other. But demanding silence rarely works on anyone.

But why does it matter either way honestly?

They’re not shoving it down your throat, you’ll only be offended by it if you want to be. It’s extremely easy to ignore in this instance. They’re not lecturing you.

It’s nothing being made into something here. Watch it and enjoy it, or don’t.

Yup it seems to me the only ones being offended by this stuff are the ones looking to be offended. Or who see something sinister behind the simplest offhand comment in a movie or TV show, or just by the mere presence of a trans/non binary person in something.

Last edited:
Yup it seems to me the only ones being offended by this stuff are the ones looking to be offended. Or who see something sinister behind the simplest offhand comment in a movie or TV show.
Like I’d understand if it went the route of that Velma show where it goes out of its way to tarnish legacy characters and tell you that you’re wrong and should feel bad about it.

In my experience, yes, folk get angry seeing different opinions on hot button issues and report. Also, most mods on the net lean the same way so will usually oblige. Enforcement on most platforms leans one way so you end up with the so called silent majority who all self sensor to avoid trouble. It is the same but in opposite direction in the few platforms that specifically cater to the other side.

IMHO, something I learned on OSW, is that when it comes to any "community", most issues boil down to assessing malice and effort.

If the person is question is contributing to the overall forum and/or community, then they are going to get more slack cut for them. It's just how it works. That extends past our hobby as well. And it extends past this specific forum. The more you contribute, the more you set a "tone" that establishes the way you communicate, that is going to usually determine the kind of rope you get. Then you have to assess if the person is acting with just plain malice. Though sometimes people aren't. Some people have problems communicating, some are poorly socialized, some are just intentionally saying something different than the crowd or general consensus of a specific place to spark a reaction, some have mental health issues, some are just looking to instigate, etc, etc.

Something I find is people who operate with malice are usually lazy. Most communication problems can be overcome with simply more effort. In effect, filibuster the other person. Data, video, articles, polling, charts, reviews, analysis, podcasts, quotes, etc, etc. The best way to counter "bad speech" is with more speech, not silence. Embrace confrontation. ( I believe the term "confrontation" gets a bad rap most of the time. Sometimes it's not a good thing, but many times it's actually essential to regulating basic order) Basic rule of life - If someone keeps telling another person that what they are seeing with their own two eyes is not real, eventually there is going to be conflict. Sometimes it's a honest viewpoint. But a lot of the time it's just plain gaslighting and inferring that the person in front of them is too stupid to see otherwise.

I grew up in poverty. When I was a kid, it was rough. I'm not saying that to make others feel badly for me, because everyone in life has struggles and things to overcome. But part of the point here is I learned fast that you had no margin of error when you were starting the race many paces behind others. I learned it was better to be very polite. Have good manners. There's the saying, just because you were born in the ghetto, it doesn't mean the ghetto is born into you. When you are a kid and you have holes in your clothes, it's better to be seen as the polite mature kid, rather than the just the kid with holes in his clothes that you don't want near your own children who go the good schools. People judge your social class all the time. Your status. What you can do for them. What they can get out of you. What I'm saying is when someone acts like a tool, online or in person or anywhere, and they are engaging in relentless malice, IMHO, they are just holding up a big neon sign that says they came from trash. Their parents raised them to be trash. And, if they have kids, they are raising those kids to be trash.

Want proof? Every one here as a kid, my best guess is your parents knew some kids around you that they preferred you not be friends with out there. Or maybe you were often the kid that other parents warned their kids about. Or as adults, you see other kids and how they act, then you see their parents and how they act, and you don't have to go far to see that connection. It's not just this hobby, it's just how people work. No one wants their kind, their "people", near the bad seeds.

So the way I found to "detach" from people who are just tools with malice, if I decided it wasn't worth outright open violence against them, was to say silently to myself - "They are going out of their way to say they are trash. They were born as trash. They were raised by trash. And if they have kids, they will breed those kids to also be garbage" That's the real cost of someone going out of their way to be a tool. Think about how pathetic it has to be for someone who was likely lucky enough to not be born in a ghetto to voluntarily make it clear that the ghetto was born into them.

You don't need to spit on someone who has already spit on their own kids. Their parents. Their cousins. Their siblings. Their family name. Nothing I said is particularly politically correct, but it's how many people feel in private, and IMHO it's the best way to fully "detach" from others with malice.

“I’m the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet – I want to know who the morons are.”

— Mark Cuban

I just looked up the clip.

*Fourth Sister stabs male Jedi*

Fourth Sister: It's finished.

Bariss: They're still alive. We need to get them to the ship. We can save them.

Fourth Sister: Forget it. Let them die. It's not worth the trouble.

Bariss: They were about to surrender!

Fourth Sister: Irrelevant. The Jedi are a threat.

I guess it's not the end of the world but it's clear what they were intending, although to be honest I think I'm more annoyed that Disney was trying to have yet another person get sabered and survive.
Maybe they looked up they profile and it showed them go by they/them pronouns?

This was pretty good. I was always interested in why Morgan was so loyal to Thrawn. I guess this gives an idea as to why.

Initially I was interested in Morgan just because her actress Diana Inosanto, was from my country, and her father is a famous martial artist who was linked to Bruce Lee. The character was OK in Mandalorian, a bit flat in Ahsoka, but she became much more interesting on hindsight after Tales.

The story of Barriss was great too. I do not understand why she looked so old at the end though. Is it because she was using The Force to trade some of her life force to heal others?

This was pretty good. I was always interested in why Morgan was so loyal to Thrawn. I guess this gives an idea as to why.

Initially I was interested in Morgan just because her actress Diana Inosanto, was from my country, and her father is a famous martial artist who was linked to Bruce Lee. The character was OK in Mandalorian, a bit flat in Ahsoka, but she became much more interesting on hindsight after Tales.

The story of Barriss was great too. I do not understand why she looked so old at the end though. Is it because she was using The Force to trade some of her life force to heal others?
Seems to be the case.

Back