Starsky & Hutch Sweater

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have been looking forever in thrift stores for the perfectly scaled knit, but have been unable to find anything. Originally I was going to embroider the pattern onto some stockinette stitches, but the sweaters available did not have the right scale of yarn or were the wrong colors.

2806746.jpg

I found this 1:1 scale image, which shows the pattern of the sweater:
3221205650cf2769beed.jpg

So...my crazy plan is to knit the sweater from scratch. I have already ordered by size 0 and size 1 circular knitting needles, and hopefully the fingering yarn will be the appropriate gauge and colors. I'll have to post photos later, but I thought I'd share something I am going to do.

If this project is a bust, which I hope it will not be, I suppose I can always use the yarn for a pair of knitted socks for me. :)

Last edited:
Go for it! I'm working on the head sculpts now so I might want one myself.

Practice swatch. I knit this on the fly. I think I should have done an extra row of cream between the triangles...but I think it's forgiveable in this scale, because you can see the pattern from afar without the pattern looking too big. I don't know if I should knit that pocket in the sweater.
dsc06076p.jpg

dsc06078l.jpg

Last edited:
I have drawn out the pattern on graph paper. One square equals one stitch.

dsc06082tx.jpg
dsc06083z.jpg

I had to redraw the pattern and will have to sacrifice the edge of color on top of the mountains that surround the main pattern to make it work with the scale. It's the smallest and most simplified way I can draw out the pattern...I can't make it any smaller than this. I won't know how large it will be until I make that swatch. Knitting with three colors is really difficult!
dsc06086l.jpg

Last edited:
New pattern to try:

So confusing!! Had to use a friend to help point out where I was...
dsc06089p.jpg

More like it! Sizing of the pattern is much better now for the scale:
dsc06090ct.jpg

So now I guess I will need to estimate the sleeves and work up from the cuffs....and hopefully I will be able to match the patterns when the arms are held down. I don't know how I'm going to treat the collar, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I need to find finger weight cream yarn. The one I bought is oyster---so it's not really cream. Knitpicks is sold out, so I have to wait until they get more in stock. Anyway, in my search for yarns I encountered bison wool. Now I am really curious about knitting this type of wool. I have heard of camel wool and yak wool--but bison????? OMG--going to have to splurge one day and try that wool. I bet it's luxurious. It better be if it's $80 per skein.

Last edited:
Back