Step by step sculpting tutorial

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schmittyjames is right this will be used by everyone for years to come! Also I believe this sculpt to be Donnie Darko?

Thanks! Happy to help.

Schmittyjames is right this will be used by everyone for years to come! Also I believe this sculpt to be Donnie Darko?

Donnie darko is correct! It's funny, because certain characters are hard to capture, and jake gyllenhaal is definitely one of them! So I picked a good subject for this tutorial. Lol

Updated 2nd post

Last edited:
caine could you please tell us how long it usually takes you to complete a sculpt? i know time will vary depending on sculpt but a rough idea would be great

Now, it was asked what tool I use the most, and thinking about it now I think I use my needle tool the most. It's what I use to create lines in hair, separation between lips, the folds of the eye and the lines between the eyeball and the lid, also good for the pores of the face. It can also be used to smooth certain areas. My needle tool came with a thick needle on one end, and I added a very thin straight pin/ needle to the other side for fine lines.

B9CACBC1-CD7D-4771-89B8-B77828F72B47-3578-000005EF157B3D09_zpsbc08e7c2.jpg

Thanks for thinking about this and going over it in the tutorial , it's much appreciated. My next problem is ears so I'm glad to see you're going to go over them also. :lol

The sculpt looks fantastic. :clap

Thanks! Happy to help.

Donnie darko is correct! It's funny, because certain characters are hard to capture, and jake gyllenhaal is definitely one of them! So I picked a good subject for this tutorial. Lol

Updated 2nd post

I can totally see Jake in it now for sure. Looking awesome better likeness than hot toys sculpt for sure!

This is awesome, very inspiring stuff. I'm seriously tempted to pick up some sculpting materials on my way home from work!

Thanks for posting this, and Donnie looks amazing so far. :rock

Ok, I feel it needs to be said that sometimes when you're sculpting the likeness will come in and out a little, at least for me. Also, while you're building up the structures of the face, it's gonna look down right stupid at times. Point is, don't get discouraged! Keep working and its just a matter of time. I also believe in quality over quantity. If you set your sights on a character, keep at it until its as perfect as you can get it, versus doing sculpt after sculpt that isn't quite finished.

Also, It's best to gather perspective by leaving the sculpt and coming back. You'll look at the sculpture completely different and see problems you didn't before.

It's also good to check your work in a mirror. It helps to refine symmetry. OK!! On to more pictures!

E84D8953-CAA9-4369-AF2C-82F831DD993B-2845-000004ED5918557F_zps2691e612.jpg

You'll see here that I start with the basic shape of the nose, forehead, brow, cheekbones and chin. I roll up appropriately sized pieces and place them in position on the head. I build up little by little and also subtract when necessary. I also use the ball tool to create a depression where the corner of the eyes will be.

28797BAF-93BA-462C-A0A5-AA5F4459822B-2845-000004ED1320BA5F_zps458b3b73.jpg

EDIT!!!: I forgot some important info! When sculpting a likeness, for me anyways, it's good to spend some time with your subject. If at all possible, watch video of the character. Sometimes the subtleties of a persons face cant be recorded accurately by photo alone. Usually when I sculpt someone from a specific film, ill watch that film over and over until the sculpt is finished. For Alan grant I've watched Jurassic park about 10 times. Though its my favorite movie so I didn't mind. Lol.

Look at the characters pronounced features and work from there. Sometimes it's a set of specific features in conjunction that really define a character and are what can hammer a likeness home.

Keep adding slowly and subtracting and eventually a more human likeness will appear.

4593AEDB-6B49-41CF-AFE5-D5073BEB21F5-3296-0000057CC342E6B5_zpsb8957d05.jpg

Started to add hair. Same process, just take small peices and build it up until you get the basic shape of the hair. Also, you can see in the first pic I smoothed the eyes over and then added more clay and later I smoothed them out again and moved them a little higher.

D1298917-B65A-41EE-A0B7-69431C263FF0-3296-0000057CC751CDD8_zps20e70cb5.jpg

I then added the top and bottom lid trying to match the size and slant of the characters eyes. A lot of how I work is kind of intuitive I guess you would say. Honestly, to do this tutorial I had to really try and think about my thought process. The beauty of sculpting for me is just getting lost in the project. I sort of go blank and eventually, hopefully, the piece comes together.

I should also mention a couple more items I'm using which is lighter fluid and a brush. After I feel I'm getting a general likeness, it helps me to smooth out the roughness of the sculpt to try and clarify the image and make the forms of the face more distinct. You can use rubbing alcohol for this, but I like lighter fluid because it breaks down the surface a little more making smoothing faster.

------------
More adding and subtracting, adding and subtracting over and over! I should note now that, for me at least, the closer it comes to te characters likeness the slower the changes become.

D04F3802-E09E-4306-934E-2949C4680E49-3578-000005EF1129AE5D_zpsb3d0adb9.jpg

Now, it was asked what tool I use the most, and thinking about it now I think I use my needle tool the most. It's what I use to create lines in hair, separation between lips, the folds of the eye and the lines between the eyeball and the lid, also good for the pores of the face. It can also be used to smooth certain areas. My needle tool came with a thick needle on one end, and I added a very thin straight pin/ needle to the other side for fine lines.

B9CACBC1-CD7D-4771-89B8-B77828F72B47-3578-000005EF157B3D09_zpsbc08e7c2.jpg

Amazing tutorial and great work on Donnie. Its so freaking cool to see this come together! Kudos to you sir! :duff

My pleasure. I believe Art techniques should be shared, not hoarded. I feel Anyone with artistic ability has an obligation to try and pass their knowledge on. If not it dies. There's a lot of artists out there that withhold their practices because they're scared. they're scared someone's gonna come along and do what they do better. So they keep it locked up. And Instead they point out the flaws of others and boast about how talented they themselves are...WELL! What ya gonna do? Thanks to everyone who's followed this tutorial. More to come as I finish up darko!

My pleasure. I believe Art techniques should be shared, not hoarded. I feel Anyone with artistic ability has an obligation to try and pass their knowledge on. If not it dies. There's a lot of artists out there that withhold their practices because they're scared. they're scared someone's gonna come along and do what they do better. So they keep it locked up. And Instead they point out the flaws of others and boast about how talented they themselves are...WELL! What ya gonna do? Thanks to everyone who's followed this tutorial. More to come as I finish up darko!

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Thanks for sharing the knowledge. You nailed it Caine nobody is gonna steal an artists technique and make it better without hours and possibly years of practice! Thanks again for helping people instead of hoarding

Here, here.

Very inspiring, Caine! :clap Now I'm really tempted to trying my hand at sculpting again.

Thanks! You should pick up sculpting. It's an amazing feeling when you can hold your finished creation in your hands. Also, we commented on each others threads almost simultaneously. Lol

Thanks! You should pick up sculpting. It's an amazing feeling when you can hold your finished creation in your hands. Also, we commented on each others threads almost simultaneously. Lol

Ha, just noticed that as well. I was just checking ebay for some sculpting tools actually. I already have some super sculped firm here. Only problem is that I already have half a dozen other WIP figures that I should finish before. :lol

This is the furthest I ever came on a sculpt:
IMG_2583_2_small.jpg

i'm definitely glad someone else uses the lines to show how eyes and the mouth should be symmetrical...i could think of a few few people around these boards that should use that technique...it would help their sculpting out tremendously....i have to say...you definitely inspired me to start sculpting again....just wish i had the time...plus its been almost a decade since i sculpted any human likeness....i prolly would be a little rusty too....but great techniques on sculpting Caine....:)

Fantastic tutorial! I just received my Super Sculpey shipment and I am counting the minutes to go home and start sculpting.. expect a lot of questions from me in a few hours.

Caine, what would you recommend for finishing getting that smooth look the professionals get, for the life of me I can't figure that bit out

Back