Super 7 Funko ReAction figures Escape From New York Snake Plissken pic

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had their Alien figures in my hand today. I don't get the appeal. My tastes have evolved from these pieces of **** to HT levels. They are just awful. The same company are putting out 7 inch X Files figures though so fingers crossed.

The Alien ones made sense and are actually quite good. Kenner had the line in the works back in the 70s but had to cancel it. They were going to be on the pegs along side the likes of Star Wars. So with an Alien line, the appeal is there. There were protos of Alien, Ash, Ripley, etc. etc. and they reproduced them. Good stuff.

This though? No. Seems really gimmicky to me. There weren't vintage Escape from New York figures so . . . why make them? There's no nostalgia there. They weren't a cancelled line of figures? I'd rather see detailed figures of Snake Plissken from NECA, Hot Toys and Sideshow. I feel the same way about that Terminator line.

These figures look like they stepped out of King of the Hill.

The Alien ones made sense and are actually quite good. Kenner had the line in the works back in the 70s but had to cancel it. They were going to be on the pegs along side the likes of Star Wars. So with an Alien line, the appeal is there. There were protos of Alien, Ash, Ripley, etc. etc. and they reproduced them. Good stuff.

This though? No. Seems really gimmicky to me. There weren't vintage Escape from New York figures so . . . why make them? There's no nostalgia there. They weren't a cancelled line of figures? I'd rather see detailed figures of Snake Plissken from NECA, Hot Toys and Sideshow. I feel the same way about that Terminator line.
My confusion about the line is less the idea of making what figures of movie X would have looked like when released, and more about apparently making figures of movie X all in the late-70s Star Wars style. X-Files figures would have looked like Toy Biz figures, Predator would look something like GI Joe or Super Powers. But they're all going to look like this apparently. So you have to be a fan who specifically likes figures designed this way for whatever reason. I get it for hardcore vintage Star Wars fans (who would love to pose Dutch or Snake next to their Han Solo), but that's about it.

Yup, exactly.

Not to mention later figures from mid-to late 80s would look a lot better than the original Vintage Star Wars figures. The Predator and Terminator figures from the early 90s, sculpt wise, were never this simple and dull. Like you said, not all figures from our era had 5 standard points.

I like them. The concept is that these are based on the style of figures made in the mid-80's. Not for everyone, but the goal is that they "fit in" when being displayed with say, vintage Star wars.

Well I would say that they are based on the style of figures from the late '70s to early '80s, but maybe that's a minor distinction.

On the other hand, I don't think any company ever has put out a T1 Sarah Connor figure. So, much respect for them doing that.

:lol oh man what is this?

They are whoring this stuff out bigtime.

Why the **** are they making Firefly, Buffy, and Nightmare Before Christmas??? :lol Those aren't things that would have had these style vintage figures even at all. They must have lost their minds or just don't get it.

I'm still hopeful for the Legacy line but i think people who heard about this line never realy knew what to expect,i always expected some thing like this i quite like the Terminator figures.

looks like those old stars wars figures from back in the day pretty sure thats what they were going for.

:lol oh man what is this?

They are whoring this stuff out bigtime.

Why the **** are they making Firefly, Buffy, and Nightmare Before Christmas??? :lol Those aren't things that would have had these style vintage figures even at all. They must have lost their minds or just don't get it.

You don't get it, I think.

The fun is making new stuff to look like old stuff. :)

Not everyone will love these, just as not everyone goes for their POP vinyls, but the Alien figures showed there IS a market for them. I'm all in. The 5POA and styling (and packaging!) is fun. I love the Rocketeer one. They put a lot of care into matching the styles. The proportions look a bit off because of the angle of these, but I'm assured they will look great next to vintage Kenner figures like Star Wars.

Again, not for everyone... but they have their place, and part of the fun will be the sheer variety of licenses they get.
compar10.jpg

I think it's worth noting that those original Star Wars figures have much better body proportions than these new Super7's. That's why the Alien line worked. I can definitely imagine Terminator or even Pulp Fiction figures in this style, it's just the execution that's flawed. Heads look too big, torsos are too long, and the fabric bits (at least the one on Kyle Reese) suck. Honestly, I know they're mimicking the figures of the '70s but that stitched-on collar/lapels is a joke.

Back