The Great Sovereign Studios Keaton Batman Purge of 2011

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand if you have 7 Batmen from the same movie that maybe you want to slim the herd... but I don't know why every time HT says they're going to do a figure, everyone dumps their previous figure.

I mean, a collection is just that, a collection of figures. You can have two of the same figure if its like two different eras. You can have a Toys McCoy Indy AND an HT Indy. You can have a Hasbro Vader and a SS Vader. I have a custom Scarecrow but I'd still like to get the HT Scarecrow as well.

You may choose to display just one, but sometimes the older, currently-undesireable figures are the ones that end up becoming nostalgic prizes.

I wasn't going to sell my Nicholson Joker but I might put it up on the bay for a ridiculous price and see what happens.
If it doesn't sell I don't care. :lol

I kept the oldest, and best looking IMO, Keaton Bats from SS but I did sell all my Jokers. Partly because I plopped $460 on the Ima/beto masterpiece, partly because HT is doing one and partly because I wanted to get my money back out of them while I could.

At least I'll still have them both if HT goes out of business before theirs get made. :lol

I don't blame you Coco, I might sell my Joker also since I have a Betomatali/imaresqd1 set coming as well, besides the Hot Toys version. I still don't know what to do about my Batman since I really like it a lot. I just might do the same as uscmhicks and put a higher than usual price on ebay for it. If it sells... cool, if not, then that's cool too. IMO part of being a collector is owning different interpretations of a character. But I also understand selling a previous version to be able to apply the money on a newer and improved version.

I'm surprised with Coco's art craft skills he hasn't made a fancy package for it, which could bump the value up even more. Unlike the ones that never came with packaging. Presentation is everything.

I can understand if you have 7 Batmen from the same movie that maybe you want to slim the herd... but I don't know why every time HT says they're going to do a figure, everyone dumps their previous figure.
I mean, a collection is just that, a collection of figures. You can have two of the same figure if its like two different eras. You can have a Toys McCoy Indy AND an HT Indy. You can have a Hasbro Vader and a SS Vader. I have a custom Scarecrow but I'd still like to get the HT Scarecrow as well.

You may choose to display just one, but sometimes the older, currently-undesireable figures are the ones that end up becoming nostalgic prizes.

Cause of money. Once the offical figure comes out the custom stuff will drop like a rock because the production peice is usually put together better and accessories will generally be more acurate.

Just like those that sold off their Terminator customs when HT came out with theirs, people selling indy customs when Sideshow came out with theirs and now, just like i did, are dumping off their Sideshow Indy for the upcoming HT version that while not perfect, is a better figure.

In the case of the Sovereign stuff, I got rid of mine because of the stigma tied to the peice with epic delays of peoples stuff that has been paid for for years and the classless customer service of his partner that handles the selling and shipping of the items that manage to get sent out.

Cause of money.

Well, yes, I get that part.

BTW, I missed your 2nd Catwoman auction by minutes -- held up at work. But now that HT is doing one... :D

In the case of the Sovereign stuff, I got rid of mine because of the stigma tied to the peice with epic delays of peoples stuff that has been paid for for years and the classless customer service of his partner that handles the selling and shipping of the items that manage to get sent out.

Can't arugue with that. I look at mine from 2003 as the Golden Era Sov before "the dark times"...

I don't blame you Coco, I might sell my Joker also since I have a Betomatali/imaresqd1 set coming as well, besides the Hot Toys version. I still don't know what to do about my Batman since I really like it a lot. I just might do the same as uscmhicks and put a higher than usual price on ebay for it. If it sells... cool, if not, then that's cool too. IMO part of being a collector is owning different interpretations of a character. But I also understand selling a previous version to be able to apply the money on a newer and improved version.

If I didn't have the ima/beto Joker coming I would have held on to one of my Les Jokers too.

I'm surprised with Coco's art craft skills he hasn't made a fancy package for it, which could bump the value up even more. Unlike the ones that never came with packaging. Presentation is everything.

Believe it or not, on ebay it has absolutely no effect. Tried it on a couple things in the past including a Keaton Bats.:dunno

Can't arugue with that. I look at mine from 2003 as the Golden Era Sov before "the dark times"...

Sovereign has definitely took a turn for the worse. Too bad too. I remember the Keaton Bats Freak's run he did. Went smoothly and it was fun being a part of it...It ain't fun no more. :( I still kept my 2003-05 version Bats though.

i actually remember that post for some bizarre reason. didn't you also cite sovereign's new manager's homophobic comments as a factor in wanting to get rid of it? to be honest, it almost made me want to sell mine, but i'd just got it after a 2yr wait and a ton of frustration :lol i want that in my collection as a reminder NOT to order anything else from him. the smell of smoke helps too.

I have also been watching the 1989 Batman purge on Ebay recently. I picked up a Henry Wayne Batman Returns figure at pretty much the original cost he was going for 3-4 years ago just because I am not convinced Hot Toys will be doing this figure anytime soon and it was a DEFINATE upgrade from the Custom Workz Batman returns figure I had before.

As for selling my 1989 Batman (Henry Wayne version) and Joker, I probably never will simply because they are the first 1/6 figures I ever purchased and are the reason I got into this hobby/obsession. Any sadness I feel over them losing their value is tempered by the excitement of seeing what Hot Toys is coming up with.

"Henry Wayne" is the name of a customizer who did Batman and Batman Returns figures several years ago. Supposedly the first Batman had a run of 89 total.

The coolest thing about these figures was that he manufactured these as a true 1/6 depiction of the original suit (down to the buckles and straps holding the armor over the black suit underneath.) The headsculpt isn't very Keaton-esque, but the Batman Returns likeness seems much better. Here is a picture of my Batman figure:

007.jpg

Back