The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fifth movie in a "series," yet second film of a prequel trilogy. So, how do you guys think DOS measures up to the gold standard set by AOTC?

:lol

I actually got AOTC climax vibes when they fired up the forge machinery and the conveyor belt stuff started moving with dwarves in hanging buckets, etc.

Glad to hear it!

Me too!

I can't stop buzzing off DOS. To be honest, though it sounds silly in retrospect, I was really starting to fear that Peter Jackson was going to
Spoiler Spoiler:

I would have been so disappointed if that happened. I'll get to enjoy their big showdown more the next time now that I know that that won't happen.

That final image of
Spoiler Spoiler:
is haunting!

I want to watch the movie again NOW.

Me too!

I can't stop buzzing off DOS. To be honest, though it sounds silly in retrospect, I was really starting to fear that Peter Jackson was going to
Spoiler Spoiler:

me to mate, glad they didn't, im still buzzing to.:lol

But he knows by FOTR.... and probably at some point during the third film... Don't you think that after knowing and fighting Sauron that he might be a bit suspicious after Bilbo tells him?

Because PJ went away from the books it really makes no sense. Fighting Sauron and knowing that he is here ruins much of the mood of LOTR. The fear and realization that Sauron is back and growing stronger.... except.. well... we already knew that... We just chose to ignore it.

He knows what? About the Ring? He doesn't know that its that particular ring until he goes to Gondor. He just doesn't know it. All this little confrontation with Sauron starts the process you see in The Lord of the Rings. He isn't very strong yet hence why you only see the cloud because he cannot yet take shape and even the eye bit isn't strong enough yet. You will see why even with Sauron/Necromancer in this movie why things get quiet again with The Battle of Dol Guldur in There in Back Again.

So like I said none of this makes Gandalf look dumb. At least not in my opinion as someone whose read a lot of material on this stuff.

Last edited:
Going to see it again today at 7pm. Now, that I've seen everything in motion I will be able to adjust to the few things I didn't care for. I will say this movie as great as it is and fun as it is needs an EE.

Hey guys,

I wonder if someone with a greater memory of the books might be able to clarify:

What are the "rules" regarding orcs and sunlight? In the LOTR movie trilogy Aragorn commented outside Moria that soon it will be dark and the hillside will be crawling with orcs. Special mention was made of the Uruk-hai being partly engineered to have the ability to travel in sunlight. The Mordor orcs needed an overcast sky to march on Minas Tirith.

But in the Hobbit movies the "Gundabad orcs" travel and fight freely in the sun just like Uruk-hai. Is this an inconsistency on PJ's part or are they special in some way?

Hey guys,

I wonder if someone with a greater memory of the books might be able to clarify:

What are the "rules" regarding orcs and sunlight? In the LOTR movie trilogy Aragorn commented outside Moria that soon it will be dark and the hillside will be crawling with orcs. Special mention was made of the Uruk-hai being partly engineered to have the ability to travel in sunlight. The Mordor orcs needed an overcast sky to march on Minas Tirith.

But in the Hobbit movies the "Gundabad orcs" travel and fight freely in the sun just like Uruk-hai. Is this an inconsistency on PJ's part or are they special in some way?

Orcs can movie in sunlight its just they prefer not to.

Going to see it again today at 7pm. Now, that I've seen everything in motion I will be able to adjust to the few things I didn't care for. I will say this movie as great as it is and fun as it is needs an EE.

You liked it more than AUJ?

Also, regarding EE.

It's amazing how EE are now mandatory for this series.

It's as if the studio feels obligated to make them EE even if not needed, just because of the LOTR success.

The LOTR EE made an artistic difference, do you feel that it was really necessary for AUJ to have an EE, or was it just the studios going thru the motions because the movies are now synonymous with EE.

Well there you go. Thank you sir. :duff

No problem. :duff

Think of it like this the Uruk-hai don't care at all if the Sun is our but Orcs would prefer a cloudy day. Orcs are supposed to show a little weakness when fighting in the Sun but that's about it.

You liked it more than AUJ?

Also, regarding EE.

It's amazing how EE are now mandatory for this series.

It's as if the studio feels obligated to make them EE even if not needed, just because of the LOTR success.

The LOTR EE made an artistic difference, do you feel that it was really necessary for AUJ to have an EE, or was it just the studios going thru the motions because the movies are now synonymous with EE.

I liked it as much I think. I need to see it again to really start to decide if I do or not.

I think the EE are mandatory for this series because of all the wonderful material you can mix in but also with this movie because you might need to slow the movie down a bit.

I think that AUJ needed one to give a little more depth to things overall. A couple of the moments helped really add to things and some of the minor tweaks changed the pace/feel of certain parts. As I said with this movie I think you need it for character development and to slow things down just a little.

Box Office. Com is reporting that this is going to make $75 million this weekend. Down about $9 million from last year but its foreign numbers are better plus this is getting pretty great word of mouth. A- cinema Score as well is what the article said. I think long term numbers for this will be better when people here that this one from most casual fans is better than film 1.

No problem. :duff

Think of it like this the Uruk-hai don't care at all if the Sun is our but Orcs would prefer a cloudy day. Orcs are supposed to show a little weakness when fighting in the Sun but that's about it.

I liked it as much I think. I need to see it again to really start to decide if I do or not.

I think the EE are mandatory for this series because of all the wonderful material you can mix in but also with this movie because you might need to slow the movie down a bit.

I think that AUJ needed one to give a little more depth to things overall. A couple of the moments helped really add to things and some of the minor tweaks changed the pace/feel of certain parts. As I said with this movie I think you need it for character development and to slow things down just a little.

Do you feel that AUJ needed a longer EE?

I don't know if there's any such thing as too much LOTR/Hobbit.

Last edited:
AUJ and ROTK were the only EE's that actually improved their respective films. FOTR and TTT theatrical editions were better than their EE counterparts.

Can't wait for a longer DOS!

Do you fell that AUJ needed a longer EE?

I don't know if there's any such thing as too much LOTR/Hobbit.

I do. I thought there were areas that needed some tweaking/extension and we got it with the EE.

I'm sure there is but I haven't found that place yet. :lo

Khev is the only one I've ever seen that likes the TE of FOTR and TTT more. I don't think I know of another fan of that feels that way. All three TE are great but their EE counter parts are the definitive versions.

Back