The Values We Place on Boxes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstojano

Super Freak
Reaction score
So this auction was interesting

https://www.ebay.com/itm/221384912564?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

I was the first bidder on it with an opening of 200-300 I think. Most didn't know that it had a buy it now of 500 which I almost grabbed. Now I see it closed at 400, shocking to be honest. The catch, it had no box. Now I doubt this piece is super fragile so shipping isn't a huge deal. Still I figured without the bx 500 was still a decent price for this piece. There aren't many actual recorded sales of this item with most being offered with high BINs but isn't this a 700-800 dollar item with the box? So is the box half the value here?

To me boxes are a pain to store and I don't care about them at all. EXCEPT to the extent some other collector may, hence why I have to consider them if I need to resale.

Boxes are a must have for me on most unless like this one it goes for way under price. Just a pain if you ever need to move, sell, store, etc...

I've always saved the boxes for all my collectibles--partially in case I have to move/store the piece and also in case I ever sell it. I guess having the box "completes" the item to me. I've bought figures with no box but wouldn't pay the same price as a figure with the box--opened or unopened. It would save me a ton of space if my brain wouldn't put some value on the box but even a loose figure with all the accessories still feels incomplete as a collectible to me.

For me personally , when looking for a collectable even at a low number of production, I pay more for complete with box. For me box plays a part in originality, specially when it's numbered and collectable

Yeah Fritz I really thought hard about it. I killed the BIN and sent the guy an email about damage, by the time he got back someone else had already bid so I couldn't retract my bid and use the BIN. But it seems like the BIN wasn't such a good deal. I get that the box has value, but what does a boxed version of the stone trolls statue sell for? I figured 700-800, maybe 1000. The guys relisting theirs for 1200-1400 never seem to sell. It seems like 400 is quite a deal for this statue, box or no box.

Last edited:
Thats a freakin phenomenal deal for that piece!...even with no box

I don't care about boxes really because I collect, you also have to take into consideration that the seller has zero feedback so their first item is a high prices item? Seems like a red flag to me, happened to me before when I bought a millennium falcon lego set, got my money back but went against my better judgement

Exactly I mean every seller has to start out somewhere but they usually start out with smaller priced items, just a big red flag when the first item they sell seems to be a $700 statue :exactly:

That may be, but maybe he does not bother selling lower prices items. Worst case is you tie up your money for a few weeks if it turns south, not a big risk for such a deal.

Boxes are unique as well because they're also works of art like the collectibles they house. A lot of package design, research and thought goes into them and some products have found ways to utilize the box as part of the product itself (as a backdrop for example). It's also constructed specifically for some items and is likely the best way to pack them.

Now, why some people in the Hot Toys world care about the brown cardboard shipper boxes I have no idea!

Thats a freakin phenomenal deal for that piece!...even with no box

Assuming it arrives without any damage. It's not the box that matters so much, it's the styrofoam, engineered to ship and protect the item. Bubbles wrap, peanuts and the like just isn't the same thing. Sure it may still be OK, but big hassle if later you also want to sell/move elsewhere.

Though the boxes are nice, if it's a sold out piece and it's at a great price, go for it!

Yeah Fritz I really thought hard about it. I killed the BIN and sent the guy an email about damage, by the time he got back someone else had already bid so I couldn't retract my bid and use the BIN. But it seems like the BIN wasn't such a good deal. I get that the box has value, but what does a boxed version of the stone trolls statue sell for? I figured 700-800, maybe 1000. The guys relisting theirs for 1200-1400 never seem to sell. It seems like 400 is quite a deal for this statue, box or no box.

That seller has one feedback posted (for something else) since the auction ended and even though it's positive, it complains about the packaging. That would really make me nervous about this piece.

Boxes are unique as well because they're also works of art like the collectibles they house. A lot of package design, research and thought goes into them and some products have found ways to utilize the box as part of the product itself (as a backdrop for example). It's also constructed specifically for some items and is likely the best way to pack them.

Now, why some people in the Hot Toys world care about the brown cardboard shipper boxes I have no idea!

I don't really understand this either.....are the brown cardboard shipper boxes really that important? Really the only reason I keep my boxes is because they are designed to protect the piece if it needed to be shipped. I really don't plan on selling any of my pieces but you never know.

I don't really understand this either.....are the brown cardboard shipper boxes really that important? Really the only reason I keep my boxes is because they are designed to protect the piece if it needed to be shipped. I really don't plan on selling any of my pieces but you never know.

Keeps the artbox protected as well as adds extra protection for the figure should you need to store in the box. I always prefur to have the brown shipper, statue or HT. They don't seem complete without them, but not a deal breaker.

Back