Value for money Airbrush Starter set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooncat

Super Freak
Reaction score
Im looking to source a cheap starter set

Never airbrushed before

So would like recommendations if possible

Im considering

The Revell Starter kit

39198.jpg

But wondered how practical this starter set actually is for a complete novice such as myself

Help always appreciated

Thx

These are good for starting out and testing your skills with an airbrush, but eventually you will want to buy a compressor because these compressed air cans are pretty useless.

Get this kit to start with but be prepared that in the future you will want/need a compressor.

I started out purchasing a similar one myself and I did not get on well with it and took it back.
I found as I did not know how to use a airbrush If it did not work I did not know what the problem was such as to thick paint, air source or even air brush.
If you were starting out I would recommend buying a dual action airbrush as there are simple to use. You push the button down for air and pull it back for paint so there is less room for error.

My lovely girlfriend bought me a AB725 Gravity Feed Airbrush from here https://www.expotools.com/ as a Valentines Day present in pack with the air compressor for 110. I highly recommend it but if you wanted something cheaper just type dual action airbrush on ebay or amazon as I have seen them on there for £13-£25. I would also recommend buying a cheap compressor as mentioned above to save problems with air supply.

If you need any more tips just let me know :wave

I got on alright with my Badger starter kit (just like this Revell one).
I found it was a cheap way to test out airbrushing. Just make sure to read the instructions and I also advise looking for tips and tricks on the net. I'm sure there are lots of tutorials on youtube.

I actually still use my very first starter kit airbrush. You will want to upgrade eventually though, depending on your needs.

In my opinion, if you want to learn how to use airbrush, you should consider to get a proper one instead of a starter kit. The reason being is that you really need a proper compressor (that can control the air pressure) in order to learn/understand how to use airbrush. The key of successful using an airbrush is to control between the brush size and the pressure. You really need to practice between the two in order to get a hang out of it. Some of the starter kit doesn't allow you to control the air pressure, thus, you can't really do much about it and can't really learn how to use it.

More importantly, airgun and air compressor are really affordable these day thanks to china and taiwin. An air compressor used to cost about $500 to $600 USD 10 years ago, but now, you can get one for about $100 USD. A few of airguns that I am using costs only $30 USD. So, it is really affordable and you can really use it for a very long time given you take care of it nicely. (My old compressor used for 7 years and still working)

In any case, I would recommend you to get a proper airgun/air compressor if you are interested in learning airbrush.

Hope it helps

i airbrush canvases and t-shirts. do not i repeat DO NOT get an airbrush with acompressor can! the air runs out QUICK! and it can get very expensive your better off getting a compressor with it, i got a compressor and 2 dual action airbrushes with it as a kit off ebay, jus search in the bar and you will find a hippo load of starter kits.
careful when selecting acrylic paint as certain types have differnt pigment thickness and keep blocking the airbrush which is a cow at times to clean.
any questions jus pm me amigo

Back