WGP's CLASSIC DOCTOR WHO- SARAH JANE NOW AVAILABLE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: WGP's CLASSIC DOCTOR WHO- SMILING SECOND DOCTOR NOW IN HAND!

Speaking of a roto Zygon, that would be a great idea. May I suggest making it into a staction figure? What I mean by that, is to have the parts look articulation, but aren't. NECA did this for the He-man 2000x line where they made the arms, heads, and torso different pieces, so that the customizers can easily add articulation to it. That way, if someone wants to add more articulation to the piece, they can simply remove the legs, add a 11/6 ball joint for hips for articulation, etc..

As such, you guys wrote me your Who want lists. Harry Sullivan got mentioned now and again, but not enough for us to make him, only about four people. But I know most of you, so I asked those four people if if they might consider commissioning Harry if I got them together with the four other people interested in a Harry (because I want him too). And guess what? WGP is now making a Harry Sullivan head in 2014 because you guys hired us. And it doesn't matter if he sells just those four. He was commissioned. And, I want to make this clear, we were commissioned to make him in BOTH 1:6 and 5" scale. :) :) :) This will make my 5" collection very happy!

What?!? :panic: I hope I was on the want list for Harry because I meant to be to be on it.

Am I the only one a bit skeptical about where those lost serials have actually been all this time?

Thought I'd put him in the right setting :)

* I put a few filters on to simulate that 'retro' look

smiling_doctor_who_action_figure_by_sean_dabbs_fx-d6q0z7m.jpg

Just one Smiling Troughton head? I am surprised. While I do think it is a good sculpt, I would prefer one in a more neutral facial gesture. I know you guys made one before, but the sculpt is outdated compared to the new Troughton head you guys did, as well as all the recent HS made by your studio.

Oh yeah, we 100% agree. It was the first three heads we actually did at WGP because a Troughton set was my passion project, but it WAS three years ago and we know how much better we are now. It's why we made an updated (Smiling)Trout, hoping to use it to drum up interest to do a 2013 new regular Trout, Jamie and Zoe V.2's.

I also plan on making the Smiling Trout head 5" scale for myself for customizing some of my many extra 5" Troughton bodies (laugh). (I don't really like the Character Options head, and regardless I like having different Trouts with lots of expressions!)

Technically, once we get the painted Trout accessories back from Skiman, we will be doing a Smiling Troughton deluxe figure launch with accessories, aimed towards non-customizing Who toy collectors trying to jump start interest in our Trout that way along with our Sarah Jane/K-9 releases.

BTW- I update the first page of this thread a lot with "silent" project status updates and pictures. Make sure to look there every so often.

I do like the idea of you guys wanting to do monsters for a group buy or private commission. I am thinking you guys want to do monsters, but aren't getting a lot of interest here, hence the private commission idea.

For monsters, companions, and baddies like Tobias Vaughn. Many Who toy fans have a wide array of wants, and collect Who things in different or multiple scales (1:6, 8", 5"). The 5" scale has tons of holes that will likely never get made. The 1:6 scale is a new frontier needing almost everything. By joining together more can be made for everyone, and much faster. And for me (evil laugh). Until we were commissioned we could never have made a Harry!

Big Chief seem more interested in making extremely popular characters like Baker or flavor of the month villains like the Weeping Angels). I can't blame them because they have to sell their product and I am sure the recent Amy fiasco (final headsculpt with a lackluster paint app and the troubles they had in making the body) hurt them a lot.

After the Amy incident I can imagine they might be very gun-shy on making any companion again and just sticking to the Docs for now to really gain a stronger footing. They had said Clara was coming a long while ago. No idea if she still is in the cards.

They have had the Weeping Angels made forever (I want them!) and seem to be sitting on them for the moment, and have teased Daleks and the Tardis were coming at different points too. Right now I think they need to make improvements to their male body to make it stronger and just use that for several more releases to not spend more money on molds.

Speaking of a roto Zygon, that would be a great idea. May I suggest making it into a staction figure? What I mean by that, is to have the parts look articulation, but aren't. NECA did this for the He-man 2000x line where they made the arms, heads, and torso different pieces, so that the customizers can easily add articulation to it. That way, if someone wants to add more articulation to the piece, they can simply remove the legs, add a 11/6 ball joint for hips for articulation, etc..

Well for the rotocast monster idea, almost all of those choices are good as roto statues with limited articulation anyways because the monsters we are thinking of don't have a lot of articulation in their costumes/design to begin with so it shouldn't take a way from how it looks displayed, which is the most important thing for me aesthetically to consider doing those monsters.

Thats trippy hearing about what they did for the He-man staction figures. How many people were honestly talented enough to mod them though? I have a problem opening glue without getting half the bottle on me (laugh).

For 1:6 being so much larger, if people are clever enough to add joints, I'd think they would be clever enough to cut the parts apart since the figure would be hollow, plus they would be needing to fill the cavities with Milliput just to add the joints.

But we are still waiting for some ballpark price estimates back. A Wirrn or Mandrel wouldn't need a lot of articulation, but for an Ice Warrior, we'd clearly try to work in more. And alternate freaking heads (laugh)

And if we were commissioned to make a whole 5" scale statue body for a companion however (Jamie/airline Tegan as examples) that would be too small to do that for (and would be solid resin).

What?!? :panic: I hope I was on the want list for Harry because I meant to be to be on it.

Never too late to add (I did). We want to know what you guys would pitch in for!

Am I the only one a bit skeptical about where those lost serials have actually been all this time?

I'm not skeptical on where there are from. Just that they existed. They still have not said thee two eps were the ONLY ones found,since the rumors said many were reclaimed, so I am expecting a tom more!-laugh.

Personally, I always figured there had to be one super collector out there who still has some missing episodes in his private collection and has just been unwilling to share. It's just been a matter of his changing his mind, his dying, and his kids hocking off his stuff! :)

Sweet!

Last edited:

While I don't see any reason for them lying of where the lost serials were at, I have read rumors, which dates back a year or two ago, that the BBC found most of the missing episodes and were holding them back for the 50th anniversary. The rumors seem to be true since 9 were found and I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC is holding off the rest of the reveals for a later date to drum interest and make the 50th anniversary feel more spectacular. That said, they probably didn't lie where the serials were at prior to the discovery, but they obviously lied about not finding any lost episodes when it was leaked by reliable sources a few years ago.

Well enemy of the world is coming out in less than a month on DVD. So they have had the episodes of that for awhile. There are rumors going around that they have more, or are negotiating for more. I hope it's true but only time will tell.

Oh yeah, we 100% agree. It was the first three heads we actually did at WGP because a Troughton set was my passion project, but it WAS three years ago and we know how much better we are now. It's why we made an updated (Smiling)Trout, hoping to use it to drum up interest to do a 2013 new regular Trout, Jamie and Zoe V.2's.

I also plan on making the Smiling Trout head 5" scale for myself for customizing some of my many extra 5" Troughton bodies (laugh). (I don't really like the Character Options head, and regardless I like having different Trouts with lots of expressions!)

Technically, once we get the painted Trout accessories back from Skiman, we will be doing a Smiling Troughton deluxe figure launch with accessories, aimed towards non-customizing Who toy collectors trying to jump start interest in our Trout that way along with our Sarah Jane/K-9 releases.

BTW- I update the first page of this thread a lot with "silent" project status updates and pictures. Make sure to look there every so often.

For monsters, companions, and baddies like Tobias Vaughn. Many Who toy fans have a wide array of wants, and collect Who things in different or multiple scales (1:6, 8", 5"). The 5" scale has tons of holes that will likely never get made. The 1:6 scale is a new frontier needing almost everything. By joining together more can be made for everyone, and much faster. And for me (evil laugh). Until we were commissioned we could never have made a Harry!

After the Amy incident I can imagine they might be very gun-shy on making any companion again and just sticking to the Docs for now to really gain a stronger footing. They had said Clara was coming a long while ago. No idea if she still is in the cards.

They have had the Weeping Angels made forever (I want them!) and seem to be sitting on them for the moment, and have teased Daleks and the Tardis were coming at different points too. Right now I think they need to make improvements to their male body to make it stronger and just use that for several more releases to not spend more money on molds.

Well for the rotocast monster idea, almost all of those choices are good as roto statues with limited articulation anyways because the monsters we are thinking of don't have a lot of articulation in their costumes/design to begin with so it shouldn't take a way from how it looks displayed, which is the most important thing for me aesthetically to consider doing those monsters.

Thats trippy hearing about what they did for the He-man staction figures. How many people were honestly talented enough to mod them though? I have a problem opening glue without getting half the bottle on me (laugh).

For 1:6 being so much larger, if people are clever enough to add joints, I'd think they would be clever enough to cut the parts apart since the figure would be hollow, plus they would be needing to fill the cavities with Milliput just to add the joints.

But we are still waiting for some ballpark price estimates back. A Wirrn or Mandrel wouldn't need a lot of articulation, but for an Ice Warrior, we'd clearly try to work in more. And alternate freaking heads (laugh)

And if we were commissioned to make a whole 5" scale statue body for a companion however (Jamie/airline Tegan as examples) that would be too small to do that for (and would be solid resin).

Never too late to add (I did). We want to know what you guys would pitch in for!

I'm not skeptical on where there are from. Just that they existed. They still have not said thee two eps were the ONLY ones found,since the rumors said many were reclaimed, so I am expecting a tom more!-laugh.

Personally, I always figured there had to be one super collector out there who still has some missing episodes in his private collection and has just been unwilling to share. It's just been a matter of his changing his mind, his dying, and his kids hocking off his stuff! :)

Sweet!

After thinking about it, I would like to see a Molly from Dark Eyes being made. I honestly think the silent commission idea is a great idea since it would weed out the stupid "most wanted" characters that only a small majority of freaks want for some stupid *** reason, but will not buy it when it actually becomes available.

A good example of this would be when SOTA, a toy company, did a final figure poll of who the last figure should be for their final Street Fighter wave. The few, but very vocal minority picked R.Mika to be made. Exactly who is R. Mika? She is a very obscure Street Fighter Alpha character that only won because the people who voted for her liked her character design. She is a major fan Service character. The people who voted for her were also casual Street Fighter players (they hardly touched the game) who just wanted figures of monsters and background characters like boy playing a videogame in Sakura's stage (I kid you not). Course when the figure came out, she was a peg warmer. This sucks for fans of the videogames who wanted Deejay since he is the only SF2 character that never had a figure and is of course more popular than R. Mika.

That said, having silent commissions would allow obscure characters like Molly to be made (and no she isn't stupid since like R.Mika) and you guys would be guaranteed to make money since it would be a paid commission.

Well enemy of the world is coming out in less than a month on DVD. So they have had the episodes of that for awhile. There are rumors going around that they have more, or are negotiating for more. I hope it's true but only time will tell.

Enemy of the State and Web of Fear are already out on itunes, so it is apparent they had them for at least a year since both serials are digitally remastered. Add that to the rumors that the bbc found a large cache of Who episodes two years ago, it would make sense that they held them off for the 50th anniversary.

The reason I brought up DVD was it takes a lot time to burn that many disks. More time than remastering.
Yes I know they are available I downloaded them yesterday.

While I don't see any reason for them lying of where the lost serials were at, I have read rumors, which dates back a year or two ago, that the BBC found most of the missing episodes and were holding them back for the 50th anniversary. The rumors seem to be true since 9 were found and I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC is holding off the rest of the reveals for a later date to drum interest and make the 50th anniversary feel more spectacular. That said, they probably didn't lie where the serials were at prior to the discovery, but they obviously lied about not finding any lost episodes when it was leaked by reliable sources a few years ago.

With all the BSing that's done when it comes to storylines and such of the recent years just to build hype I guess I've become cynical. :rotfl

Rick, did you get my pm? I've been having issues with sending pm's on the forums I'm on wasn't sure it made it to you. I guess I should go back to the laptop and quit sending stuff from the phone. :rolleyes2 Thanks for adding me to Harry's interest list.

The reason I brought up DVD was it takes a lot time to burn that many disks. More time than remastering.
Yes I know they are available I downloaded them yesterday.

Iit would take less time to burn thousands of commercial DVDs. The difference with commercial and home DVD burners is the former is a quick press, which takes seconds to make one DVD. That is why you can see the burnt lines on homemade DVDs and don't see anything on retail DVDs. That said, it would take the BBC less time to burn all those DVDs than to remaster them.

Last edited:

From Al Dewar of Character Options Twitter-

"any chance of that Yeti figure now @DewarAl or an RC Control Sphere?"

"Al Dewar ‏: even less actually as it happens but for good reasons."

:mad::mad::mad:

Initially, many modded their staction figures. However, by the 2nd wave, ppl lost interest in modding them since I think most modded them to see if it can be done. The first three figs were modded since it was easy to pull off the limbs as they were glued on tightly - my Clawful figure had his arm popped off without any major effort. Most of the mods involved adding magnets to the neck and heads, waist and torso, wrist and hands, and shoulders and chest. Besides installing magnets, the major labor one has to do would be to carve away some of the excess plastic parts that connects the chest to the shoulders to give it articulation.

This method of adding poa without huge effort would give the figure most of the articulation as the action figure line. The only missing articulation would be the upper legs. However that can added with more craving and adding in joints.

The station figures having poa added easily by consumers was intentional for two reasons: NECA wanted to continue the line by making the cancelled figures, but couldn't because they only had the statue license from Mattel and these station figures were originally made as toys (prototypes).

Last edited:

SMILING TROUGHTON WANTS TO KNOW: ARE YOU READY TO FIGHT THE YETI?

WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO JOIN THE UNDERGROUND???

NOTE: NOT actually photographed in the London underground. Just a mock-up!

Excellent! :clap

Re: the missing episodes,

I wouldn't be at all suprised if the 3rd episode of "The Web Of Fear" is already in the BBC's possession and they're holding it back for the DVD release, whether it's the one scheduled for February or a later Special Edition kind of deal.

That's perhaps a cynical viewpoint but the BBC will naturally want to recoup whatever they've had to pay to get these episodes back and fully restored.

Between the recovery of 9 Troughton episodes and the forthcoming story from Big Finish featuring Doctors 4-8 I'm getting a decent 50th Anniversary so if any more lost episodes are announced I'll consider it a
nice bonus.

Re: the Yeti figure,
I'm in!

Re: WGP's CLASSIC DOCTOR WHO- ARE YOU READY TO FIGHT THE YETI???

If you are doing 1/6 version, I am in. I do like the idea of making them rotocast and limiting articulation to save money.

Btw, I like the reference of the not photographed in London Underground

If you are doing 1/6 version, I am in. I do like the idea of making them rotocast and limiting articulation to save money.

Ideally any thing we make can be used for both scales as is out intention with monsters, but since I have yet to hear back on the rotocaster with answers to my questions, right now he could only be promised for 5". If/when I get a response I will shout it from the rooftops. :)

Thank you to the person who wrote me the E-mail that said "yetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyetiyeti". (laugh)

I would be very interested in a five inch trout and a complete smiling trout....what sort of price range?

Back