Where are the high-end Ghostbusters figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Britain

Super Freak
Reaction score
Love the new Lego set that's just hit the UK, but seriously where are the high-end figures? Where's a Hot Toys Venkman? I know there was that Mattel crap a while back but this is a franchise that cries out for high-end attention for the accessories and the outfits never mind the sculpts. Of course, there are ALWAYS licensing issues with everything but if we can get a 1966 Batman and a Reeve Superman - not to mention the fact that Mattel have already done these at the lower-end of the market - then this cannot be impossible. And if Lego can put out an Ecto-1 then the market is there.

I wish Big Chief would try and get this, they'd do an amazing job if no one else can.

Would love to see it, and apparently the likeness issues were worked out for the Matty figures. A huge cult geek movie classic, but I think it's in a tough spot in terms of high end figures being made. Hot Toys could probably do it, but probably won't, because their focus is primarily on newer stuff (mostly Batman and Iron Man). A smaller company would, I'm sure, love to do it. But the licensing costs could be prohibitive. I put together customs that I love, and are possibly my favorite figures in my collection. But, I would throw buckets of money at a company that would put together licensed, official figures, assuming the quality is there.

As for Mattel, the outfits were pretty crap, but the accessories were actually pretty great. I doubt Hot Toys could do much better in terms of the proton packs or traps, though you do need to shorten the proton hose a bit.

I would get the four Ghostbusters (Movie versions) 1/6 figures if Sideshow or Hot Toys or any other decent toy maker released them. I would be very happy with that.

I would maybe pick up Slimmer and Louis Tully but to be honest I would settle for just the four Ghostbusters from GB or GB II.

I've got the matty set, and they're OK, but ONLY ok.

Picked up the 4 of them, twice, from biglots at 205$ per two-pack, so i could have all 4 with proton packs, and same color jumpsuits.

It was worth it.

100$ for a full set, and all the accessories, and slimbe blowers is great.

any more than that is too much, for the quality you get. mostly it's the heads and elbow/knee pads that are a dissapointmnet.

Lego Ghostbusters came out already? I dont think stores like Toysrus or Target will carry them, would they?

Lego Ghostbusters came out already? I dont think stores like Toysrus or Target will carry them, would they?

I don't know, but they're out in the UK.

With regard to 1.6 scale quality Ghostbusters while many fans would want all four of them, I guess what I want most is a high-end Venkman figure, preferably with an onion ghost. I don't see how a Hot Toys quality Venkman could fail to sell.

I would kill for 1/6 Ghostbusters figures.

Btw guys, what's wrong with the Mattel 12" figures aside from what was mentioned above? Are they in scale with Hot Toys?

I asked Greggo from BCS on FB whether they'd be interested and he replied:

As for the Ghostbusters license we would love too for sure, only time will tell. That don't mean we have it or have gone for the license maybe further down the line we may look into it. We are all BIG Ghostbusters fans I was born on the same year the movie came out. Lol

Would certainly love to see BCS do it if Hot Toys aren't interested.

I would kill for 1/6 Ghostbusters figures.

Btw guys, what's wrong with the Mattel 12" figures aside from what was mentioned above? Are they in scale with Hot Toys?

They are in scale-ish. Possibly a hair on the taller side. The mattel figures suffered from absolutely terrible sculpts. The elbow pad effort was laughable on them. Some think the jumpsuits were bad, but with some dye / water treatment you can get them looking pretty damn good. I am currently working on a set of customs as well (just need the heads! which are being made now). Unfortunately I think customs are the only route to go at this point. With the Ghostbusters anniversary happening this year and no announcement... I would say its a slim chance.

I think many can be perfectly happy with the custom route. The mattel accessories are shockingly top notch.

The Mattel GBs have cheap, crappy bodies (cheap plastic, hard to pose well, don't look natural in poses--also larger than HT bodies) and pretty lame head sculpts that aren't great likenesses, are made from soft rubber, and have basic paint apps like you would see in any mass produced toy at Toys R Us or whatever. They also have molded plastic boots, huge, cheap elbow pads, a cheap plastic pistol belt, and suits that as jra says are OK, but not something I would consider high end. The only things I salvaged from them for my customs were the proton accelerators, traps, black undershirts, and the hoses from their flight suits. But it's all subjective. You might be totally happy with the stock versions on display next to Hot Toys figures.

Almost every time I've put a cheap figure next to a high end one I've regretted it; the only exceptions are the CO Doctor Who figures which look good next to the Big Chief Studios ones. But the Mattel Zod looked like arse next to the HT Reeve Superman, and Mattel Ghostbusters are so expensive to buy in the UK that I'm hesitant to get one even as the base figure for a custom. They don't look acceptable without being customised, that's for sure.

I still think we'll see something better eventually, maybe some company we've never heard of will do an unlicensed 'Funny Ghost Hunter' figure or something. And if HT do BTTF I think that'll lead people to look around and say, hey what other great 80's movies haven't had HT figures yet.

Almost every time I've put a cheap figure next to a high end one I've regretted it; the only exceptions are the CO Doctor Who figures which look good next to the Big Chief Studios ones. But the Mattel Zod looked like arse next to the HT Reeve Superman, and Mattel Ghostbusters are so expensive to buy in the UK that I'm hesitant to get one even as the base figure for a custom. They don't look acceptable without being customised, that's for sure.

I still think we'll see something better eventually, maybe some company we've never heard of will do an unlicensed 'Funny Ghost Hunter' figure or something. And if HT do BTTF I think that'll lead people to look around and say, hey what other great 80's movies haven't had HT figures yet.

How much are the matty figs in the uk? I paid about $60 for each in the United States. The accessories with them are really worth it. Maybe find which guy is the cheapest....buy 4 of them and get new name patches. I have seen winston go pretty cheap.

How much are the matty figs in the uk? I paid about $60 for each in the United States. The accessories with them are really worth it. Maybe find which guy is the cheapest....buy 4 of them and get new name patches. I have seen winston go pretty cheap.

I only started looking just last week but they seem to be a lot. If any UK freaks can tell me otherwise I'd really appreciate it.

Truly all that needs replacing on the Mattels are bodies, portraits, boots and elbow pads. The rest is okay.

Even the belts are mediocre. A cloth web belt looks much better, but its hard to obtain one in a proper color, so painting is required.

Agreed. the Mattel belts aren't great - but the easiest of all the pieces to replace.

Unfortunately, accurate elbow pads aren't easy to come by, either, though we've had a few runs of customs in the past from Astro Zombies and then Mando.

Unfortunately, accurate elbow pads aren't easy to come by, either, though we've had a few runs of customs in the past from Astro Zombies and then Mando.

Mando still cranks them out... I got a set a little over a month ago. He did an amazing job with them. You have to do your own straps, but that's pretty easy to accomplish. They make such a difference. The mattel elbow pads are laughable at best.

Back