Who actually liked 95' Batman Forever?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you like/enjoy Batman Forever?

• yes

Votes: 192 53.9%
  • no

Votes: 164 46.1%

• Total voters
I really liked the Batmobile design of the 95 movie. The blur lights on the engine look pretty sweet. However now putting that movie side to side with Nolans' vision they are so different

Yes I liked it too.

I remember going to see it and really enjoyed it.

I'm a Val fan Top Secret one of his best!!

Got love the arrogance of someone who butts a cigarette on someone's face.

So wrong but so Hollywood at the same time.

While nowhere near the two that pre-ceeded them or followed, I enjoy Schumacher's Batfilms for what they are. Perhaps it is unfair to lump them together with as much ease as Burton's and Nolan's can be lumped together, as "Batman Forever" and "Batman & Robin" are so drastically different. The former plays and largely embraces the camp qualities of the 60's TV Show whereas the latter crumbles beneath the weight of 10,000 bad puns. But as I said, I like them both for what they are individually. And I'll say this, "Batman Forever" pisses me off more that "Batman & Robin" does, because it actually has redeeming qualities and could have been great across the board. It isn't. "Batman & Robin" is just terrible but I laugh along with it. I enjoy Freeze's Charater design and I love how much fun Uma has with Ivy. Alicia / Batgirl is the one element that just grates on me and I will never find funny, cute or watchable.

What I hate about "Batman Forever" is Tommy Lee Jones' cartoony portrayal of Two-Face. The Edward Nigma stuff before he becomes Riddler ( the esthetic of "The Box" was just ugly and bugs me). Also the Biker Thug neon bs...

But Kilmer was a great Batman (still 3rd but that says more about the other two than him) Riddler was great, the script had some surprisingly high points and Gotham looked cool.

I saw Batman Forever at the cinema when I was about 12 or 13 and absolutely loved it. As I got older I hated it. Until very recently, I sat through it again and I can enjoy parts of it. Hate jim carrey in it though. I just find him irritating. I like some of his films but it just seemed he was being frank gorshin, but more over the top. As others have said though, some of the designs were great. I like the batmobile, love the batwing. The suits are pretty good. I think it had good potential but lots of things just let it down.

Batman and Robin on the other hand, that was on tv a couple of days ago and I thought I'd give it a chance, see if I could enjoy it on any level. I couldn't. I watched it for an hour to see if I could enjoy it and I just couldn't. It was just awful. Boring, cheap, and ridiculous. I suppose its a kids movie and they might enjoy it, but for me, no way.

:lecture
As far as I love TLJ's crazy behavior... He was too pathetic as the TwoFace character.

Don't you mean...

two pathetic? :explode:

Someone else likely said it, but I don't care!

Forever was a great popcorn flick. It definitely lacked the weight that B89 and Returns carried, and was a bit gaudy, but it's a great movie to toss in when there's nothing to do on a Sunday afternoon. Kilmer was always my favorite combination Wayne/Batman. Bale has the intensity of Batman down, but that God-awful voice...:slap Bale also has the smarmy, playboy side of Wayne down pretty well. Clooney had the suave side that Bruce Wayne should have, and Keaton had the voice for Bats down pat. Kilmer seems to exude a nice balance of all that, in retrospect. He definitely wouldn't fit in to the Begins universe, but he worked great in Forever.

Carrey and Jones' performances on the other hand, left much to be desired. I'm not sure anyone told Carrey that the Riddler has a compulsion to prove that he, and he alone, is smarter than Batman. And Tommy Lee Jones it seems, wasn't aware of Two-Face's constant struggle between Dent and his second persona. And I know this isn't Tommy Lee Jone's fault, but there's a scene where he tosses the coin until he gets the desired result! That would never happen!

All that aside, yeah, it's a good movie. A fun time, to say the least.

While nowhere near the two that pre-ceeded them or followed, I enjoy Schumacher's Batfilms for what they are. Perhaps it is unfair to lump them together with as much ease as Burton's and Nolan's can be lumped together, as "Batman Forever" and "Batman & Robin" are so drastically different. The former plays and largely embraces the camp qualities of the 60's TV Show whereas the latter crumbles beneath the weight of 10,000 bad puns. But as I said, I like them both for what they are individually. And I'll say this, "Batman Forever" pisses me off more that "Batman & Robin" does, because it actually has redeeming qualities and could have been great across the board. It isn't. "Batman & Robin" is just terrible but I laugh along with it. I enjoy Freeze's Charater design and I love how much fun Uma has with Ivy. Alicia / Batgirl is the one element that just grates on me and I will never find funny, cute or watchable.

What I hate about "Batman Forever" is Tommy Lee Jones' cartoony portrayal of Two-Face. The Edward Nigma stuff before he becomes Riddler ( the esthetic of "The Box" was just ugly and bugs me). Also the Biker Thug neon bs...

But Kilmer was a great Batman (still 3rd but that says more about the other two than him) Riddler was great, the script had some surprisingly high points and Gotham looked cool.

Really good recap and point of view. I would also add I enjoyed the Kilmer and Kidman relationship in the movie. This was the first batman movie I truly appreciated and gravitate towards since I was too young for the two before. And the suits were great batman and robins I also liked the riddlers suit and question mark font

I answered yes but only because of the way the poll was worded. If it said DO YOU LIKE it, I'd say no. But I remember opening night, the summer before my senior year of high school, I was into it. But that's probably cause I was stoned.

That scene where Robin fights the gang and it's all day-glo colors under a black light....I was all like "whooooa man."

And I really liked the "Panther" suit and I'd definitely buy an accurate toy of it, nipples and all.

But that's all. I doubt I'll ever sit through it again. Unless I got baked, just for old time's sake.

I remember looking forward to this film when it came out but it turned out to be one of those movies where i'm sitting there wanting to enjoy it rather than actually enjoying it. Haven't seen it in years though, i should revisit it sometime.

Hated it, soley because of the villains. I thought Kilmer was excellent for the part, O'Donnell too, but Carrey and Jones made me want to vomit. Maybe, had there just been one absurdly over the top cheesetastic villain, I could have handled it, but the two of them was just to much for one movie. It was like two retarded kids hopped up on twinkies and cocoaine running around screaming "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!" into a megaphone, all the while beating a snare drum and making fart noises with the arm pits. Also, the Batmobile design sucked.

could not have said it better myself :exactly:

Hate it with the fiery passion of a thousand exploding suns.

The only good thing was Michael Gough's Alfred, who was always class. Kilmer was badly miscast, and always seemed ill-at-ease to me, Kidman gave probably her most wooden performance ever, O'Donnell has all the personality of a wet stick, and Jones and Carrey were truly excruciating in all of their scenery chewing villainy. The new Batmobile design looked like an over-grown happy meal toy, the production design looked like an uneasy mix of nuGothic and gay bar, and the script was all over the place. And that's before I even start nitpicking... :lol

But hey, that's just me. If other people like it then more power to them I guess. To me though, Batman Forever is every bit as much of a disaster as Batman & Robin was.

Kidman gave probably her most wooden performance ever, O'Donnell has all the personality of a wet stick, and Jones and Carrey were truly excruciating in all of their scenery chewing villainy. The new Batmobile design looked like an over-grown happy meal toy, the production design looked like an uneasy mix of nuGothic and gay bar, and the script was all over the place.

It's really hard to disagree with any of the points above. Well put. I like Kilmer & Gough, but the rest of the cast is god-awful and the designs were absolutely towing the line between "let's sell toys!" and "let's go back to the 60's camp aesthetic!". Over the top colorful. And Riddler's giant green blender thing in the middle of the ocean is one of the dumbest things ever put on film.

BTW, it's no coincidence that the batmobile looked like a Happy Meal toy. :lol

It's really hard to disagree with any of the points above. Well put. I like Kilmer & Gough, but the rest of the cast is god-awful and the designs were absolutely towing the line between "let's sell toys!" and "let's go back to the 60's camp aesthetic!". Over the top colorful. And Riddler's giant green blender thing in the middle of the ocean is one of the dumbest things ever put on film.

BTW, it's no coincidence that the batmobile looked like a Happy Meal toy. :lol

:exactly: :goodpost: take out the corney one liners and make it dark like the OG and Kilmer would have totally shined as BW/Bats. Had to vote no on this.

Liked Kilmer and O'Donnel's Robin - he at least had the physical prescence. The set design and cinematography reminded me of a bad off-Broadway musical. It definitely wanders the line between camp and the brooding atmosphere of Burton's vision, leaning more towards the camp, of which I'm not a big fan. After seeing the abysmal Batman & Robin, Forever seems to serve as a testbed for Schumacer's ultimate fail.

Before this movie came out I had often though that Kilmer would have been a great Batman so I was pretty stoked about him getting the role. But the movie is just a total mess, I tried watching it the other day and only made it about 30 minutes in before turning it off.

I was actually surprised that Burton produced it; I always assumed he had no involvement... but maybe it was a sign of things to come.

And on a related note my wife has always talked about liking this movie; she stated afterward I turned it off that she remembered it being much better :lol

Back