Will Weta do the Hobbit?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ringer

Super Freak
Reaction score
It would be very cool if they did because I missed out on the LOTR weta stuff completely and they are doing Narnia again so I would figure they would continue with The Hobbit.

It's not too late to get the WETA LOTR stuff, most of it is very affordable these days (less then retail) except for some grails like Moria Orcs, Scoutsman, Cave Troll, Balrog, WIKI, ...

Well, since they'll be doing the graphics work I'd say there is a decent chance they'll do some items. Now, who will they use to distribute their stuff? My guess is Dark Horse which from what I've been told isn't the best to deal with.

Yeah, probably Dark Horse since they distributed the Narnia stuff. Boy the value on those sure went down. Although it is also nice because as able to pick up a few items fairly cheap.

I'm on the fence. Granted the Narnia stuff looked nice, there was something about the SS/W relationship that made the products look great and hold their value. And I'm not sure if that was because you can't compare Narnia to LOTR. So . . .until they actually come up with the sculpts will I confirm interest. While the price dip was welcome for collectors to the Narnia line . . . I'm not sure if it has any bearing on the perceived value of collecting The Hobbit merchandise. All I can say is that if they make them look nice, then I will buy -- but only if I can perceive that the value won't drop where it's best to hold off any purchase to after market.

Somehow I get the feeling that I'm such a sucker for The Hobbit, that it'll be like LOTR all over again. Believe it or not, The Hobbit holds a more special place in my heart compared to LOTR.

I think weta will do it, because weta is connected some way to Peter Jackson. It eign't a coinsidence that they were doing King Kong...

Why not SS? They didn't end on unfriendly terms did they? The hype of a new SSW partnership alone would ensure success

Apparently SS and Weta did not part of very good terms so it would surprise me if they began a new partnership. Besides Weta has been producing and distributing their own licences for quite a while now, I can't see them wanting to give a share of the profits from The Hobbit to SS when they can keep them for themselves.

I think weta will do it, because weta is connected some way to Peter Jackson. It eign't a coinsidence that they were doing King Kong...

It's a no-brainer...PJ owns a percentage of Weta, which is why they got the licences for both King Kong and LOTR. It's also why Weta will get The Hobbit licence.

Geez, you folks make it sound like Weta can be separate from any PJ films. They're quite joined to the hip. Anytime Weta does the special effects, then boom, you got statues of them.

The thing I want most is to see some stone trolls. I currently am reading the book and I love that part so much. The original WETA ones are amazing but unfortunately out of my price range.

I hope and would think so and with Weta based in NZ us Aussies will be extremely happy if that happens.:) Bought the Battle Troll from Middle Earth last time i was over.:cool:

The thing I want most is to see some stone trolls. I currently am reading the book and I love that part so much. The original WETA ones are amazing but unfortunately out of my price range.

save up for those bad boys, i guarantee they're worth it

I just finished the book. Completely forgot about the ending... what happens after smaug is dealt with. Great reread. Knowing about these collectibles somehow made me enjoy the story that much more.

I'm hoping weta continue the lotr line exactly same with hobbit.
besides that there is no doubt companies like gentle giant sideshow will also produce collectibles from hobbit. is there anyone here who knows someone from weta and ask them about this matter ?

Smaug should be their best piece. This one NEEDS to be big, and hopefully with a good ES, but enough so that the fans can get one, and there will be alot of people wanting one! I hope we don't get a Sauron-sized ES. I'd love this piece to be as big as Kong vs Rex, with Smaug sat on his treasure, maybe with Bilbo stood somewhere? Dare I say - ICONIC!

I hope that they Make
Smaug, Beorn, New Gandalf the Grey Statue (more dynamic pose) and the Goblin King :monkey5

Thats a difficult one, well it depends DDT Efectos is the company which GDT work in most of his movies (if he direct the movie) and PJ Weta maybe there will be a pretty interesting colaboration between both in the movie and the collectibles for Weta i want to see that.

Back