Creating Custom Star Wars 1:6th weapons the How to's

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooncat

Super Freak
Reaction score
Thought Id start a reference thread for info sharing on how to's

I want to create some Star Wars 1:6th weapons mainly blasters (but if more experienced guys want to delve into sabres feel free to post)

BTW I found this source invaluable : https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BlasTech

So first of Im looking for my base weapons

1st of a Sterling L2A3 with Folding Stock (you can buy these from 1:6th Stores like) https://stores.ebay.co.uk/homeguards1

1847544648_d737637646.jpg

to create an E-11 blaster rifle

1846778569_65adeb6b16.jpg

So Im looking at what needs to be done to the base weapon to create an E-11 blaster rifle

(Ive just ordered some of the L2A3's from homeguards)

Ill use this thread as my Reference source and what I try to do. Id really appreciate tips and tricks from the masters (U know who you are)

For example recommended modelling materials and tools !

Im basically looking to replace my Hasblo guns for some decent looking weapons (you know those realistic looking Hasblo weapons with a spring that shoots out a red plastic dart FFS)

Im also "eventually" looking at :

a German Mauser C96

1847206771_b920aebfa8.jpg

to create a DL-44 heavy blaster pistol

1848092502_27bd8c5730.jpg

However Ive had no success so far trying to source a 1:6th German Mauser C96 . . . . . Help with this would be greatly appreciated !

----------------------------------------------------------------

Im guessing as far as starting sculpting (never done it before) that this would be the easiest place to start !

Im also guessing that theres easier work arounds for adding realistic parts to these other than sculpting parts from scratch

eg. like bits of DIY materials from Hardware stores stuff from craft stores (balsa wood etc. plastic piping / tubing) and spraying / cutting them up or other general use plastic parts with the same treatment etc

Going to do some research and when these L2A3's arrive from Homeguards Ill have a better idea of what Im up against

Id appreciate anyone else who has the time and inclination posting other blasters and their base weapon

eg. what makes a DLT-20A blaster rifle and what needs to be done to the base weapon to achieve this :

600px-Dlt20A.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried checking the Parts of Star Wars website for info on base weapons?

https://www.partsofsw.com/item.htm (not keen on Frames in my websites)

dl44hsw.JPG

Helped with the Mauser

firemuzz.jpg

1972 Fire Extinguisher Dispersion Nozzle
The thin stamped metal does not hold up well over the years.
Photo: Jeff Ritzmann

hwdialyt3x.jpg

Hensoldt Wetzlar Dialyt 3x

fibrol.jpg

Model airplane engine cylinder part

Also

for the E-11

EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE

https://www.partsofsw.com/e11_a2.htm

sterl2a3jpg.jpg

e11b.JPG

e11a.JPG

Modifications to the guns involved the addition of six grips around the barrel. The exact identity of the grip material has yet to be determined, but recent revelations suggest stamped metal T-track from old cupboards with sliding doors. These were cut to varying lengths and each end was then inserted into the appropriate cooling hole in the barrel jacket. Note: The row of holes on the underside of the gun had no grips as they would interfere with the folding stock. Also, the row of holes just above the folding stock on the left side of the gun received no grips, presumably this is because of the bayonet attachment stub that occupies the third hole from the front in this row.​

Another modification includes the addition of a stock 1942 model M38 azimuth scope (see below) to a mount. This scope mount is in the form of an approximately 1cm wide by 1/16" - 1/8" thick strip of metal sitting about a 1/4" above the gun. The front end of the strip was bent and inserted into the rear most vent hole on the top of the gun thus requiring no rivet or other attachment. On this blaster variation the rear of the mount strip bends down just before the rear sight and is riveted to the top of the gun

m38scope.jpg

Telescope, M38, possibly for the M61 Heavy gun.
Marked M.H.R. Co., 1942, D.A. NO. 30032

hengsA.jpg

Next, a Hengstler Corporation industrial mechanical counter was then added to the side of the gun close behind the magazine receiver. There are at least two variations of the Hengstler boxes known to have been used on the props. The only visual difference between the two boxes is in the logos on their sides. (see below) The obvious difference being that the one on the left actually says Hengstler where the one on the right merely has the "eagle" logo. This prop utilizes the "eagle only" version. The entire counter assembly was then painted black

stermag.jpg

34-round Sterling L1A1 Magazine
Made by Sterling Engineering Co.

The standard Sterling Mk4/L2A3 34-round magazine model L1A1 was used. These were manufactured by Sterling Engineering Co of Dagenham, Essex. The unique scalloped-edge design (seen below) distinquishes it from magazines made by other military contract manufacturers.

They were cut down considerably. The exact length varies between each prop (from 1/2 to 2/5 the original length). Both ends of the magazines were used. The blank firing versions used the feed end of the magazine which locks into the magazine well while non-firing models usually used the left over ends. On some of the guns there are magazines with the real bottom plate covering the exposed end. Others have replicated plates (no hole in the center) and some were just plugged with a piece of wood

https://www.partsofsw.com/e11guide.htm

So Thanks Kevin

Last edited:
If theres a hobby store near you stop in and check out the styrene plastic racks near the model trains. There are huge numbers of shapes and sizes of plastic that you can use to make all sorts of things.

Good luck finding 1/6 scale hengstler counters and scopes. They don't seem to exist. Best to buy up a lot of styrene shapes etc and make your own.You can find a ribbed plastic which is ideal for the cooling vanes on the e-11 blaster. I modded a couple of sterlings for my gentle giant stormtrooper busts as the stock blaster was just pitiful imho .

The scopes etc on your existing hasbro guns can be used with a little work.

Good luck !

Well here is my modified sterling I did a few months ago.

100_1901.jpg

100_1921.jpg

100_1920.jpg

I added T-track from plastruct I bought from my local hobby store.
I made the Hengstler from a couple diffrent thickness of strip styrene and rod.
The main body of the scope was from the marmit blaster then added more rod to creat the rest of the scope.
100_1929.jpg

100_2001.jpg

my attempt at a custom mg-15
bought mg-15 on ebay
left off front circle sight
added rear scope from ultimate soldier russian rpg
front scope is are two crimp wire connectors & tooth pick that mounts to gun (i may redo this)
added a small fitting on bolt lever
weathered a bit with black,silver & tan for a dirtier grime look

Couldnt find a camera that worked - got one on order

Heres an update on where Im up to

Used some wire and cut and bent them to length and fixed them in position around the muzzle

Thankfully ive cut them tight enough so they dont need any glue :)

Next I created a scope using some straws and Milliput

then I created the Hengstler thing using milliput

Used some cable ties for a frame off the sights at the back of the gun to the middle

Cut the end of a biro pen lid and used that on the ridge

Cut the ammo cartridges down

Glued it all together !

Leaving them over night to set and then painting them up using some gun metal pigment and acrylic

Will post pics when ready

They wont be screen accurate I know but they will be 100 times better than the 1:10th scale guns supplied by Hasblo !

Last edited:
Heres some in progress shots prior to painting :)

1908050206_cc3b8b5f5c.jpg

1907197899_d228923e82.jpg

1908418942_8ed0e791f5.jpg

Did 2 at the same time realise the scopes are both different and neither guns are Movie accurate but thats not essential to me . . . . . not ATM anyway

1907581295_5e14c106e3.jpg

1907580815_1dffd8ed7f.jpg

Last edited:
Couple of revisions to the Hengstlers (love Milliputty solid in 24 hours and can be carved) so heres the blasters after they been painted :

1920464526_599e9ad418.jpg

1920463622_923ddecb61.jpg

1920464244_8b74c2fd01.jpg

2nd one :

1919634927_37c6529ab3.jpg

1920463946_a62fbc8880.jpg

and for giggles heres the gun next to the Hasblo one

1919636315_3742b21fa6.jpg

and on the figures :

front.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Mooncat, great stuff. If only recently been making my own gear and it is a lot of fun.

I agree that Milliput is indispencable when it comes to customising though I would highly recommend you buy the slightly more expensive white high grade Milliput. Its more suitable for modeling aplications since it dries to a nicer finish and is alot nicer to sand and shape . .incidentaly its made quite near to where I live :)

nice work dude, heres the blaster(s) ive done
same brromhandle mauser that youve found, all the details hand made from plasticard, the sight was a reshaped 'grenade' from a HT pararescue bloke,muzzle turned on a unimat 4 lathe. the details on the magazine area (which on the real thing are two halfs of a scale model engine piston) cut from hasblow blaster.
c6015291.jpg

saber hilts, using sections of radio antennas,and various watch winding crowns,bits cut from hasblow hilts, the ESB luke hilts activator was cut from an old circuit board,others turn on the lathe.
DSCF1719.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0057-3.jpg

sandtrooper heavy blaster, just a vickers WW1 machine gun, bit of weathering and details added, nothing complex
sandcorporal.jpg

Republic commando DC15 sidearm, completely from scratch.....
DSCF0046.jpg

BossDC-15.jpg

also DC17 scratch made too
DSCF0026.jpg

BossDC-17.jpg

Weren't you going to cast the Republic Commando Armor?

That was awesome.

I have done the RC armor but im bound by a rather annoying 'gentlemans agreement' not to make it available yet.:nono

Just please, PLEASE let us know when you're no longer bound by it. The commandos are made of so muc win. By far my favorite of all the clone designs.
Followed closely by ARC troopers.

Back