Google Chrome

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using it and like the speed although it isn't reading signature images for some of you and I'm noticing a few interesting tweaks regarding the link and how they are seen.

I just installed IE 8 Beta 2 on the same machine where I performed the speed tests with Chrome. (The install took a lot longer, required a reboot, and configuration of updates, unlike the Chrome install.) I still need to do a lot of testing, including turning off all browser extensions and plug-ins in IE to do a fair test, just an initial face-to-face load of the Sideshow Home page gave the same basic results as before... Chrome, about 3 seconds... IE 8, about 15 seconds. Chrome is still winning as of now. I'll make my final judgment after both final products are released, but as of now, I'll still be using Chrome come Spooktacular! :D

I'm using it and like the speed although it isn't reading signature images for some of you and I'm noticing a few interesting tweaks regarding the link and how they are seen.

Remember, it's still a Beta, so they are looking for a lot of feedback and many things will be fixed or added before the final comes out.

I downloaded it and installed it this morning. It is the fastest browser I've ever used!!! Loads the Sideshow web site home page in about 3 seconds, compared to IE's 17 seconds!!! Seriously!! I timed this several times to verify. I'm on a very fast 64 bit machine with tons of RAM and I've never had FireFox or IE load web pages this fast before! And if something crashes, you can open a "task manager" and kill the individual tab or process instead of having to close IE completely when the same thing happens! You can drag a tab out to a window and back to a tab, etc. etc. etc.!!! Too many cool things! I will be running and testing this right up to Spooktacular, and if nothing pops up to cause me concern, I will be using this browser during Spook and have a huge advantage over all you chumps... wait... should I have just mentioned this? Dang it! Now all of you know!!! :banghead :banghead :banghead

The Sideshow homepage loads about that fast for me with firefox.

My point was it is far from the 17 seconds of IE.

True, but to fair to IE, I need to do some testing with all the browser extensions turned off, especially things like Spybot, which could be slowing down the page loading and not IE itself. I plan on doing some real head-to-head testing in the coming weeks, but even still, I really like Chrome right now, but IE 8 isn't bad either.

True, but to fair to IE, I need to do some testing with all the browser extensions turned off, especially things like Spybot, which could be slowing down the page loading and not IE itself. I plan on doing some real head-to-head testing in the coming weeks, but even still, I really like Chrome right now, but IE 8 isn't bad either.

Please make sure to do a detailed head to head with graphs and charts please.:monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

True, but to fair to IE, I need to do some testing with all the browser extensions turned off, especially things like Spybot, which could be slowing down the page loading and not IE itself.

I don't know that you need to be all that "fair" to IE ;). My test with Firefox had somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 extensions active, including NoScript, Flashblock, Adblock Plus, WOT, and several others that inspect pages as they load, and I still got 4 - 4.5 second load times for Sideshow's page.

I'm waiting patiently for the mac version. Safari works great for me, but the wife likes Firefox. Both are plenty fast. Chrome sounds promising though.

I'm waiting patiently for the mac version. Safari works great for me, but the wife likes Firefox. Both are plenty fast. Chrome sounds promising though.

I'm waiting for the Mac version too. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to Safari.

I downloaded it and installed it this morning. It is the fastest browser I've ever used!!! Loads the Sideshow web site home page in about 3 seconds, compared to IE's 17 seconds!!! Seriously!! I timed this several times to verify. I'm on a very fast 64 bit machine with tons of RAM and I've never had FireFox or IE load web pages this fast before! And if something crashes, you can open a "task manager" and kill the individual tab or process instead of having to close IE completely when the same thing happens! You can drag a tab out to a window and back to a tab, etc. etc. etc.!!! Too many cool things! I will be running and testing this right up to Spooktacular, and if nothing pops up to cause me concern, I will be using this browser during Spook and have a huge advantage over all you chumps... wait... should I have just mentioned this? Dang it! Now all of you know!!! :banghead :banghead :banghead

I wasn't going to try it out before, but now I feel compelled. Lonnie's recommendation clinches it.

I'm going to wait and see for awhile. See if any of your computers crash and burn first. :D

I just installed IE 8 Beta 2 on the same machine where I performed the speed tests with Chrome. (The install took a lot longer, required a reboot, and configuration of updates, unlike the Chrome install.) I still need to do a lot of testing, including turning off all browser extensions and plug-ins in IE to do a fair test, just an initial face-to-face load of the Sideshow Home page gave the same basic results as before... Chrome, about 3 seconds... IE 8, about 15 seconds. Chrome is still winning as of now. I'll make my final judgment after both final products are released, but as of now, I'll still be using Chrome come Spooktacular! :D

Remember, it's still a Beta, so they are looking for a lot of feedback and many things will be fixed or added before the final comes out.

The reboot is because it's written from the .NET framejack and Firefox and Chrome is Java.

I don't know that you need to be all that "fair" to IE ;). My test with Firefox had somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 extensions active, including NoScript, Flashblock, Adblock Plus, WOT, and several others that inspect pages as they load, and I still got 4 - 4.5 second load times for Sideshow's page.

Well, that is a very good point! I would never run IE with all the extensions and plug-ins off anyway, so it wouldn't be a real-life test.

My experience so far with Chrome... Favorites/Bookmarks need a lot of work... they need to allow more settings/options tweaking (that is probably coming in the final version)... I don't like having to hold down the back button to see a list of previous pages... and that is about all so far! It is working very smoothly and very fast currently.

Back