1/6 Hot Toys -MMS 517- Episode VI ROTJ Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure (DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pictures @agonistes86.
You sanded the body, exchanged the original thicker arms, then.... bulked up the new arms again? Why?
Thx.
I did it to improve the silhouette and proportions.

The original body (for some weird reason) has wider upper arms than deltoids. That means the upper arms stick out more than the shoulders, which really messes with the silhouette. It's just not how the human body works.
Below I included a shot of the original body. Look at those arms - it looks so weird and unnatural. I first tried modifying them, before finding the other body in my parts bin and realizing that "HT slim body" is not actually one type, but there are various iterations.

The new arms are better in that regard with proper shoulder bells, but the upper arms were rather thin without definition. Since the black jumpsuit is very form-fitting, and I re-tailored it to be even tighter (after the sculpting), having the arms properly proportioned really sells the final look. If the arms are too slim, the fabric creates unnatural folds.

So I took some screengrabs and compiled references from Dagobah to get close to Hamill's physique. I know it's the wrong movie, but I don't expect his physique changed drastically in those 3 years.

Here's the original body, the movie reference I made and the final result. For reference, I also increased the neck length for better proportions.
I've since upgraded the sculpt to the Mando version.

index2.jpg

Mark Hamill.png

IMG_4010_2_small.jpg

IMG_3998_3_small.jpg

IMG_4925_2_small.jpg

The original body (for some weird reason) has wider upper arms than deltoids. That means the upper arms stick out more than the shoulders, which really messes with the silhouette. It's just not how the human body works.
Below I included a shot of the original body. Look at those arms - it looks so weird and unnatural. I first tried modifying them, before finding the other body in my parts bin and realizing that "HT slim body" is not actually one type, but there are various iterations.

The new arms are better in that regard with proper shoulder bells, but the upper arms were rather thin without definition. Since the black jumpsuit is very form-fitting, and I re-tailored it to be even tighter (after the sculpting), having the arms properly proportioned really sells the final look. If the arms are too slim, the fabric creates unnatural folds.

So I took some screengrabs and compiled references from Dagobah to get close to Hamill's physique. I know it's the wrong movie, but I don't expect his physique changed drastically in those 3 years.

Here's the original body, the movie reference I made and the final result. For reference, I also increased the neck length for better proportions.

View attachment 703590
View attachment 703587

View attachment 703588
View attachment 703589
View attachment 703591
Man.. @agonistes86 doesn't **** around, lol

View attachment 703590
View attachment 703587

View attachment 703588
View attachment 703589
View attachment 703591

I had forgotten you even had a fully modded Luke, time to go get my dremmel out :ROFLMAO: Definitely gonna follow some of your tips, although I wont be able to add sculpting or tailor the clothing. Great work!

Man.. @agonistes86 doesn't **** around, lol
Haha I certainly do not. When I say I prefer quality over quantity in my collection, I reeeeally mean it. :lol

I had forgotten you even had a fully modded Luke, time to go get my dremmel out :ROFLMAO: Definitely gonna follow some of your tips, although I wont be able to add sculpting or tailor the clothing. Great work!
If you need any more specific advice, just let me know. Always happy to help!

Haha I certainly do not. When I say I prefer quality over quantity in my collection, I reeeeally mean it. :lol

If you need any more specific advice, just let me know. Always happy to help!

I do have a question about the shoulders, not for Luke necessarily, but in general. Have you found that sanding the shoulders down helps with bulkiness at all? I went to repose my Qui-Gone and noticed his shoulders are just far too broad and square looking, I want to take the Dremel to it but fear that it wont make much of a difference, so I don't want to "damage" the body.

I do have a question about the shoulders, not for Luke necessarily, but in general. Have you found that sanding the shoulders down helps with bulkiness at all? I went to repose my Qui-Gone and noticed his shoulders are just far too broad and square looking, I want to take the Dremel to it but fear that it wont make much of a difference, so I don't want to "damage" the body.
In general I find it does help, I've done it to a couple of figures. But it's really more of a subtle difference when perfecting a look. If the figure is extremely wide, changing the body itself usually is a better solution.

Another factor is the clothing. If shaving down the shoulders doesn't change the fact that a stiff fabric still sticks out, you'll just create an invisible gap underneath the clothing that does nothing to the actual appearance.

For the actual difference you're making, I often think of it as what difference it would make in 1:1. For example, if you shave off 2 mm on each shoulder, you're reducing the total width by 4 mm. That's 24 mm in 1:1 scale, about one inch. Might not seem like much, but it can make a difference, since that difference will only happen in the arms. If that's not enough, perhaps the torso width is the real problem, which you then have to address.

In many years of trying, and over 200 visits, I never once found what I was looking for on Toy Anxiety. It's always fatsuits, open palms and leftovers like this

View attachment 703779

The hunt for a bespin sculpt continues..

Yeah getting the Mando or Bespin sculpt at this point for a decent price is probably going to be difficult because everyone wants one to replace their MMS 429/517 and even Snowspeeder. For maximum results on anything TA has - especially heads - you have to be subscribed and have notifications turned on Instagram as they usually post there first when things drop.

But you know Luke Jedi 3.0 is probably right around the corner so.. Artisan and all.

In general I find it does help, I've done it to a couple of figures. But it's really more of a subtle difference when perfecting a look. If the figure is extremely wide, changing the body itself usually is a better solution.

Another factor is the clothing. If shaving down the shoulders doesn't change the fact that a stiff fabric still sticks out, you'll just create an invisible gap underneath the clothing that does nothing to the actual appearance.

For the actual difference you're making, I often think of it as what difference it would make in 1:1. For example, if you shave off 2 mm on each shoulder, you're reducing the total width by 4 mm. That's 24 mm in 1:1 scale, about one inch. Might not seem like much, but it can make a difference, since that difference will only happen in the arms. If that's not enough, perhaps the torso width is the real problem, which you then have to address.

Much appreciated, Ill have to try it out. Luckily these prequel jedi robes are pretty lose so the tailoring shouldn't change.

View attachment 703590
View attachment 703587

View attachment 703588
View attachment 703589
View attachment 703591
Awesome. I am impressed.
Thanks, bud.

I'm told the mando sculpt has a shine compared to the bespin one. Can anyone confirm?
I got a few of both and I don't recall noticing any difference in the faces when they arrived. If there was a difference it must have been pretty subtle. They have since been dispersed into displays with different hairpieces and not sure which ones were which so hard to check on now.

Back