How to identify recast Sideshow ALIENS 1:1 Busts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: What's with all these recast Aliens 1:1 busts on ebay???

ytr001.jpg

They look really cool in my computer room facing each other.

i think the two are quite different in terms of overall appearance. The paint apps on the recast is significantly different compared to the original.

Definitely not worth the asking price imho.

Recast looks like, well a recast.

Sorry, I just do not support anyone who knowingly buys a recast. IMO, that is not the behavior of an avid collector.

IMO, it also speaks about the collector side of one who will buy recasts. I would not want to knowingly deal with such a person, because, well they have fakes. How far does one go then before they start thinking it is ok about to tell a few "white lies" about their collection when dealing with them.

Truth is simple. Recasts are fakes. The are not collectables ... and people who collect them are not collectors, at least that part of their collection is not. Those who knowingly buy a recast also says something about them.

That is so wrong. I would feel so offended if i own one of this piece. Stop support the recasters.

To be honest, I find your elitistic approach laughable! (couple of posts above)

But then again, it's pretty much the same debate as on piracy. Some simply don't approve it, and some do!

I'm no supporter of a recast in the fashion of scamming anybody, however, if it's the only way to get something (AND it's clearly visible that quality of a recast is satisfying, plus if i know from the beginning that it IS a recast) I wouldn't mind getting it at all.
But then again, I'm collecting stuff of a movie I really like, not to be able to say, hey I have ultra rare piece in low number..

The quality of this piece looks very satisfying, plus it is a known recast piece. You might want to contact Toni Plutonij. He might get it off your hands.

If I were into Alien collecting, I'd be pretty sure to pick up this piece, I have no problem with it being recast, it looks really good.
However I only collect particular pieces of Terminator serial. I live in Croatia, Europe and shipping+custom import fees+additional taxes pretty much kills any chance to get everything I like.

I was talking generally about recasting "issue".

Special Thanks to Darh_Maximus for shedding some light on this issue. It takes a lot of gutz to post these pics. I can clearly see the difference. Aside from the moral dilemma, the "candy cane" stripes seem to be a constant with the recasts and it just does not do it for me. Question: Are the recasts hollow? For those who don't know, the Alien Warrior is thick and extremely heavy.

The Alien Warrior recast is solid resin. Infact, it's heavier then the Sideshow version which is made up fiberglass and polystone. Hands down my Sideshow version is the best alien piece I own. I will never let it go unless it's in my trust next of ken. And with that being said I think it's time for the chew dance! :chew:chew:chew:chew:chew

I'm no supporter of a recast in the fashion of scamming anybody, however, if it's the only way to get something (AND it's clearly visible that quality of a recast is satisfying, plus if i know from the beginning that it IS a recast) I wouldn't mind getting it at all.
But then again, I'm collecting stuff of a movie I really like, not to be able to say, hey I have ultra rare piece in low number..

That is pretty much how I feel. I really want an original Aliens bust but I just can't justify or even afford the $4000+ people are asking. I buy originals when I can but this bust was the first recast item I bought off Ebay. I make no pretence that it is an original. I will never sell it (I might give it to one of my friends if I ever get a real one). I just think it looks good with my other Alien figures and maquettes.

It is funny just how many people that gripe about recasts have unlincenced figures and statues in their collection. Artists that sculpt and sell iconic figures without permission or a licence are breaking the law just as much as the recastors but you hardly hear complaints about them.

That is so wrong. I would feel so offended if i own one of this piece. Stop support the recasters.
---
What we need here is more people like DM to step up the way he did here. Not just that, he's also provided us with the pictures of the real and fake one. Great job.
So which is it? DM is allowed to sell his recast and you are cool with that but we should not be supporting recasts? I admitted my Aliens bust is a recast but I have no intention of selling it even if I get a real one. So am I a hero like DM or an untrustworthy so-and-so?

Just to point out, I dislike the scammers and recasters that are in it simply for profit and easy money, and pay no attention to details and quality of the recasted stuff, as much as most of you.
Even more, I hate people recasting and claiming it's the original.

But people who recast (and do closed runs of recasts, yes I know such people) for their friends, and to make availible limited stuff to some that weren't lucky to buy on preorder, or didn't have the money at given time, and people that do quality job doing it, I don't mind at all!
There is a difference between recasting solely for profit, and recasting out of passion for hobby and fellow collectors.

And statement that recasts undervalue original product doesn't hold water at all.
It undervalues it in ones head, only if you let it.
If you have original Ferrari in your garage, would your neighbour with Ford made look like Ferrari undervalue your original?! Of course not..
Original will always be orignial!

i think the two are quite different in terms of overall appearance. The paint apps on the recast is significantly different compared to the original.

Definitely not worth the asking price imho.
If it's quality cast, $1000 compared to $4000 is well worth the asking price :p
Repaint can't be more then couple hundreds..

And if one simply likes bust for what it represents and not for the limitedness and exclusiveness of the statue, this isn't such a bad choice :p
Recast looks like, well a recast.

Sorry, I just do not support anyone who knowingly buys a recast. IMO, that is not the behavior of an avid collector.

IMO, it also speaks about the collector side of one who will buy recasts. I would not want to knowingly deal with such a person, because, well they have fakes. How far does one go then before they start thinking it is ok about to tell a few "white lies" about their collection when dealing with them.

Truth is simple. Recasts are fakes. The are not collectables ... and people who collect them are not collectors, at least that part of their collection is not. Those who knowingly buy a recast also says something about them.
This statement tells more about you then somone who buys a recast..

I can't understand your philosophy..
Did you know that out there, there is a group of collectors, much smaller then what you see here, that only collects actual screen used props! Big majority of them are "elitists" and talk about licensed replicas the way you talk about the recasts, because licensed replica of a screen used prop will never be SCREEN USED PROP, but only replica. And they dislike replicas in the same manner..
Did you felt the urge to justify yourself reading this?

Sale of recast collectibles is prohibited. People doing this are not supported by this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sale of recast Sideshow product is prohibitted. Support of people doing this is not supported by this site. Darth_Maximus has been reported and anyone in the future coming here to sell recasts of this item will also be reported and dealt with.

Fair point!

Sale of recast Sideshow product is prohibitted. People doing this are not supported by this site. Darth_Maximus has been reported and anyone in the future coming here to sell recasts of this item will also be reported and dealt with.

We requested the Pics.:monkey3

Really shouldn't be asking anyone for pics, if you find out someone is recasting, you should be reporting them to the boards and Sideshow. This is a prohibitted activity and shouldn't be supported in any way at this site.

Really shouldn't be asking anyone for pics, if you find out someone is recasting, you should be reporting them to the boards and Sideshow. This is a prohibitted activity and shouldn't be supported in any way at this site.

Pictures help us tell them apart and help us spot one if we are looking to get the real deal and not get a recast.

Gotta know the fakes in order to spot one :monkey3

What I mean is, depending on the situation, if the person you're asking for pics from is a seller, you should be reporting them, not asking them to show the item to you.

Back