Jan 28 - Del Toro is in

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gideon

Super Freak
Reaction score
from the Hollywood Reporter

Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," which is being co-financed by New Line and MGM.

Del Toro's name was on a short list of directors who could tackle the project, one of the most anticipated literary adaptations of the past decade. An ill-chosen director for "Hobbit" could put billions of dollars at stake for New Line and MGM and could turn off an audience that encompasses millions of passionate readers, Tolkien fans and obsessive geeks.

Few filmmakers have the cachet that del Toro has, as well as a deep love for the source material, an assured grasp of fantasy filmmaking and an understanding and command of geek culture as well as its respect. Del Toro has built that goodwill through such films as the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," "Hellboy," "Blade 2" (which was made by New Line) and "The Devil's Backbone."

For New Line, making "Hobbit" had become a priority in the wake of its billion-dollar success of the Oscar-winning "The Lord of the Rings" movies, which were co-written and directed by Peter Jackson. Jackson wanted to adapt "Hobbit," but when he got into a dispute with the studio over profit participation, the project went into limbo; neither New Line nor MGM, both rights-holders to the film, wanted to risk alienating fans of the trilogy by making an adaptation that didn't have Jackson's involvement.

The December resolution of the Jackson suit, facilitated by MGM CEO Harry Sloan, paved the way for "Hobbit" to get back on the road to the screen. However, because of other commitments that included "The Lovely Bones" and "Tintin," Jackson could not take on writing and directing roles, opting instead to become an executive producer with approval over creative elements of the pair of films.

Because of the strike, no writer has been hired to adapt Tolkien's children's classic, though that process will be fast-tracked once it's resolved. Del Toro and Jackson will oversee "Hobbit's" writing.

Principal photography for the films, which will be shot simultaneously, is tentatively set for 2009. The production budget is estimated at $150 million per film. The release of the first film is slated for 2010 and the second in 2011.

"Hobbit," which Tolkien initially wrote for his children, was published in the U.K. in 1937 to wide acclaim. It centered on Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who joins a group of dwarves and the wizard Gandalf on a quest to find the treasure of a dragon named Smaug. Tolkien went on to write "The Lord of the Rings" 17 years later.

Del Toro is putting the finishing touches on Universal's summer release "Hellboy 2: The Golden Army" and recently produced the critically acclaimed ghost story "The Orphanage." He is repped by Endeavor and Exile Entertainment. =================================
======================================================

Not what I wanted to hear.

Why? If Peter Jackson isn't going to do them then I can't think of anyone much better than GDT.

The Hobbit is inferior to LOTR anyway. :monkey3

Few filmmakers have the cachet that del Toro has, as well as a deep love for the source material, an assured grasp of fantasy filmmaking and an understanding and command of geek culture as well as its respect. Del Toro has built that goodwill through such films as the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," "Hellboy," "Blade 2" (which was made by New Line) and "The Devil's Backbone."

I am very confident of Del Toro's abilities as a film maker, but a previous article posted a couple of weeks back stated that he never read LOTR or the Hobbit because he couldn't get into them. I just hope he reads the books and other Tolkien works to get a better understanding and appreciation for Middle Earth. Of course, Jackson will have a lot of input, but as producer, he can only do so much.

Well, personally I think this is great news!!
Wow!! If Del Toro puts his signature style, combined
with Jackson's influence this is going to be one helluva ride!!
Wohooo!!!

This is fine with me.

I would disagree The Hobbit isn't as good. It really adds to the LOTR 4 me.

Yes he's an accomplished Fantasy director but dude hasn't read LotR which throws his credability into question for me. Not sure this is a good idea. If these two films are supposed to tie in and fill the gap to the LotR trilogy, don't you think it would be a good idea to have an understanding of that gap? Do I like him as a director, yes, I think he's fantastic but I just don't like that he's not a fan of Tolkien yet he may be hired to direct it. There so much importance on the little details and he just won't get those not being a fan.

I might be in the minority here but the intended audience for the hobbit (the book) is much younger than that of Lord of the Rings and my fear is that the movie of the hobbit is not going to be for the original audience Tolkien intended it to be for. I'm sure I'll love the movie but I'll be a little sad. I got into Tolkiens world when I was 5 and started trying to read the Hobbit when I was 6 so to me it's a PG rated movie while the Lord of the Rings was much more intense and darker. Go back and read the books and the Hobbit feels like a story made to be read to kids while the Lord of the Rings is more adultish kind of inbetween the hobbit and the rest of the Middle Earth History he wrote.

I think Del Toro would make an awesome Hobbit movie. I really wanted him to make a Harry Potter movie, but I can take a Hobbit movie. THe source material for the HObbit is obviously weaker than LoTR, but I can still see an enjoyable movie coming out of it.

Fantastic news!
Only other great/correct choice I can think of besides PJ.
Was a must see anyway, but now even moreso.

JS

I have 1005 faith that Del Toro was pull this off! Very very good news to see that Del Toro will helm these films:rock

I am glad GDT is in, but it is a tad bit unsettling because wasn't he quoted as saying he tried to read the books years ago but they were "too dense" or something to that effect?

I think GDT's style is outstanding and visually I think the film will be outstanding. Peter Jackson is on as executive producer and according to the article have some decision on story and visuals right? Jackson will most definitely keep this in the same feel as LOTR but with GDT's flare. I think its a perfect combination of talent.

I think GDT can do it. I've been impressed with his recent movies already and he has the Fantasy experience pretty much covered.

Give the man a chance.

I'm good with the news... I really like him as a director. And maybe having not read the books he can approach the material with a more open mind :huh Just trying to find a positive in that :lol

Sometimes going to a director outside of a specific genre makes for a better film. If you take horror films for example, often horror films tend to be horror films instead of films that inspire horror. The thing that makes true horror frightening is the audience connection with the character, and for that, you need a director that can help that connection.
Empire Strikes Back is another example. Kirshner wasn't a sci fi directer, but he made the best SW movie.

The Hobbit being for kids is the same as the early Harry Potter books. The events in HP were ugly and brutal yet those elements weren't focused on. Just visually speaking orcs are scary, savage and evil, kind of hard to soften them. While we can read of the devastation of Smaug, the reality is that many people were flash fried and ripped apart, crushed under debris and mutilated.
I doubt you can make a Disney version of the Hobbit and stay true to the tale.

del Toro does have a very keen visual flair, but my concerns are a) the report that he has never read the source material (and no, there is NO way to put a positive spin on that in this case), and b) he tends to push the limits on graphic violence and disturbing imagery in his films (Pan's Labyrinth and The Orphanage, for example) in his desire to be "edgy" (his word, not mine).

If he can keep himself in check, along the lines of Hellboy, it may work out fine. He was definitely not my first choice, and I remain skeptical, but I'll forbear any criticism until we learn more.

Back