JND Studios: Superman (Christopher Reeve) 1:3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is it photoshopped? The color? All I did was try to balance the color between the two so people wouldn't be influenced by higher saturation. The color is absolutely irrelevant to the sculpt.

The shape of his head is not Reeve. Nor the eyes, nose, ears, or mouth. So to me, I can't see him anymore. Not saying the old was 100%, but to me way better and will sit with the Clark Kent 1000 times better. This looks like a totally different artist who sculpted it.

But clearly I must struggle to process information "properly."

It's amazing how we all see these things so differently. As someone who has pre-ordered the dual version, I am over the moon with the new images and am not in need of any counselling. LOL. It will be nice to see the official photos of the updated sculpt (presumably tomorrow when the pre-order goes up on the JND website). About the only thing that bothers me on the head is that there is no scalp visible along the hair parting line and the hair itself is too "clumped together" and doesn't look smooth / fine enough.

Last edited:
I agree about the non visible scalp in the part.
That was something that bugged me with the first HS too, but there were more dominant things at the time to point out as needing more immediate attention.

5eyFFdO.png

I personally think this is a solid upgrade (the costume and colors and proprotion is chef kiss!) while it didn't cater to the Reeve Superman must smirk and smile crowd but more on stern and serious one that he clearly demonstrated (and by the video we clearly see what scene or shot they aim at, which is the Would you care to step outside and scenes where he pretty pissed at Luthor's lair on STM). Certainly not what people expected but give a nice contrast with Clark Kent one. Now only if i have the dough. lol

CW-STM-flag-pose-arms-crossed.png

That's a bit harsh Chopper Face. This is by far the best Reeve likeness produced by any company at any scale in my opinion. Do a side by side with the Sideshow Premium format(s), Hot Toys or Cinemaquette to see what I mean.

My buddy sent me this photo which apparently was posted on facebook, so at least it looks like we will be seeing some better quality, colour balanced images. THIS is what JND should be putting out there to showcase the new portrait if they want to show it at it's best. The video lighting is horrible in that reveal video today.

Attachments

• IMG-20240502-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240502-WA0002.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0
Just saw the reveal video and i think it looks great. It's not perfect, but it's much better than the original proto. I wish they would've kept the smirk but i see what they were going for. As it always goes, no matter what a company does not everyone will be happy. Hopefully anyone who preferred the original prototype and plan on canceling can get their NRD back.

Yeah this still looks way off to me... just in a totally different way now. 😄

Think they would be better off simply giving the original sculpt a healthier skin tone. Or better yet, using the Clark sculpt and putting the Superman hair on that. I think most people would be perfectly fine with a smiling Superman... versus the alternative.

Yeah this still looks way off to me... just in a totally different way now. 😄

Think they would be better off simply giving the original sculpt a healthier skin tone. Or better yet, using the Clark sculpt and putting the Superman hair on that. I think most people would be perfectly fine with a smiling Superman... versus the alternative.
I would've definitely preferred that instead. That Clark portrait is amazing.

I feel like Reeve is someone that really requires an artist who's been obsessing over and resculpting him for years, like that Art Department guy. You're just never going to capture him in one or two tries.

FB_IMG_17146588333841_1.jpg

It does suck for anyone who likes the previous sculpt. For myself, I definitely see an overall improvement from the initial sculpt. While I initially wasn't fond of the removal of the slight smirk, the more stern/serious sculpt is a nice contrast to the already smiling Clark Kent sculpt

I feel like Reeve is someone that really requires an artist who's been obsessing over and resculpting him for years, like that Art Department guy. You're just never going to capture him in one or two tries.

View attachment 700675
I've been following that Art Department sculpt(s) ever since you mentioned them in another thread and don't really like anything that they produced for Reeve, particularly their sculpt for recent Sideshow PF, especially after seeing their rough paint apps. If I had to choose between custom sculpts for that SS PF, I prefer the ones by Unleashed Viper rather than the Art Department one(s).

Maybe it's just the paint work The Art Department did on this, but these below definitely don't look better than either of the JND sculpts IMO. I didn't purposely choose bad photos either. This is what they posted calling it a "beauty"... sorry I just don't see it. But, on the other hand, I guess that's also how others feel about the JND sculpts :lol

Screenshot 2024-05-02 101637.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that photo of the Art Department sculpt is not as good as the JND

It does suck for anyone who likes the previous sculpt. For myself, I definitely see an overall improvement from the initial sculpt. While I initially wasn't fond of the removal of the slight smirk, the more stern/serious sculpt is a nice contrast to the already smiling Clark Kent sculpt

I've been following that Art Department sculpt(s) ever since you mentioned them in another thread and don't really like anything that they produced for Reeve, particularly their sculpt for recent Sideshow PF, especially after seeing their rough paint apps. If I had to choose between custom sculpts for that SS PF, I prefer the ones by Unleashed Viper rather than the Art Department one(s).

Maybe it's just the paint work The Art Department did on this, but these below definitely don't look better than either of the JND sculpts IMO. I didn't purposely choose bad photos either. This is what they posted calling it a "beauty"... sorry I just don't see it. But, on the other hand, I guess that's also how others feel about the JND sculpts :lol

View attachment 700684
Yeah the paint jobs are rough but I was referring more to the underlying sculpts. And I was always planning to repaint mine anyway, so not too concerned about that part.

And if you gave it to those 357Partment people I'm sure the final result would completely blow away the JND.

I am disappointed. I think Reeve lost somewhere in the upgrade. I don't have the problem with the serious expression but the eyes are dead and just not Reeve's. I am going to wait for the hopefully better pictures tomorrow than I will decide. The old sculpt was more like him. There are improvements here sure but next to that something just got lost in the process.

Last edited:
Yeah the paint jobs are rough but I was referring more to the underlying sculpts. And I was always planning to repaint mine anyway, so not too concerned about that part.

And if you gave it to those 357Partment people I'm sure the final result would completely blow away the JND.
Yea there's potential in them, but even with the underlying sculpts, I see a same level of discrepancy in likeness to Reeve that the JND ones have just not in the same places. I honestly don't think one is more accurate than the other, but at least there are a handful of options for most ppls different ideas of what Reeve should look like. There will also be the Darkside Collectibles 1/3 Reeve in the future for those that don't like the JND. It definitely won't have the same level of detail but the likeness might be more to some folks liking

825fa01e343e601e1bdcc7a1f558fa28.jpg

Back