JP Dio repaint...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave added the few tweaks and added the last few coats of sealant. In the mail tomorrow! :rock

This is going to be a grail that I'll set right alongside my autographed JP concept art sent to me by Crash. I should have pics up by mid-week. If not Tuesday night, then Thursday; Wednesday I'm going out of town to visit the girlfriend and head to the comics book store to pick up the issues they would otherwise have to ship. Either way, you guys will see it this week! :banana

Arrived today. All I can say is :banana :fireworks :banana

This is magnificent in person. Hopefully I can put up some pics by the time I get home tonight. Absolutely badass.

Sorry for the delay guys. I'll have pics up probably fairly early tomorrow. I just got in the door from seeing my girlfriend's students in a Christmas concert; oodles of fun... plus I have 20+ comics I want to read yet tonight. Early tomorrow I'll have before and after shots on here.

Beautiful repaint, great colors, but the real question is; Did you like how the movie ended with the little kid saving the day with the computer?

BB

Beautiful repaint, great colors, but the real question is; Did you like how the movie ended with the little kid saving the day with the computer?

BB

Lex being a computer nerd worked well with the plot, and seeing Tim's resolve crumble, leaving him a screaming, sniveling ^^^^^ was a nice way to remind the audience that the kid characters don't actually have courage uncommon among adult men. :D

Here are the FIRST ROUND of comparison pics...

Before:
eBay015.jpg

eBay019.jpg

After:
JPrepaint012.jpg

Before:
eBay022.jpg

After:
JPrepaint002.jpg

JPrepaint003.jpg

Here's another after shot. You can see the blood detail and the numerous shades of brown and grey in the raptors.

JPrepaint011.jpg

I tried to take the pics in the starkest lighting possible, so that you can see the full range of colors in the dinosaurs. I've looked at them under a few different shades of lighting, and you can see why some people interpreted the T.rex as grey when it initially broke free of its pen, but also that it is an extremely readily apparent brown when viewed under good lighting, particularly a warm wash lighting like in the JP movie conclusion. He captured the colors beautifully on the T.rex and Velociraptors. My primary concern sending it out was the T.rex, but when I got it back I found myself appreciating the finer details on the raptors as well. The sculpt is really beautiful, and the repainted dio really exploits well; I can actually appreciate the statue without worrying about the sharpie spots or flawed color. Another thing I really like now are the eyes. There is an extra gloss over them, so that now while you can see the colors and the irises very visibly, you also have a sheen that gives a nice touch of realism. I honestly don't even think the pictures I've taken do it justice, but hopefully they can give you a good idea of the changes that were made.

Last edited:
That looks stunning as it's repaint, would've been nice to have had the angle's match so you could get a real feel for the before and after shots.

It does look like money well spent.

I know, I thought about matching them up, but I took the original pictures to try to show off the best aspects of the original dio. The final piece is just all-around nice, so I didn't want to limit to the specific shots. I wanted to instead try to show you guys what this looked like from all angles.

Back