Megalopolis (May 17, 2024)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otomofan

Super Freak
Reaction score

Wow.

Coppola really has his finger on the pulse.....of 1999.

I'm quietly hopeful for this one.
Coppola has made some of my all time favourite movies, and some not very good ones as well, so it'll be interesting to see what he made of this passion project of his.

Coppola hasn’t made a great film in a long time. I haven’t even seen the last few. Can’t get excited about this.

I read about it in the Hollywood Reporter. Apparently he's been working on it the last 10 years and funded it all himself... then held a screening with studio heads who all thought it was confusing and terrible and showed no interest whatsoever in picking it up. Eeek.

Has an interesting cast though. Adam Driver, Shia Labeouf, Zendaya, Aubrey Plaza, Dustin Hoffman...

The fact that I was bored stiff during the two minute teaser isn't a good sign.

Coppola made some of the best movies of all time. That's undeniable.

But sharing this little Matrix scene and thinking you've created something innovative just gives off sad boomer energy.

Aside from the fact that every single aspect of this little scene has been done a thousand times in the last few decades, was there any tension? Did you at all feel like Ben Solo was really in danger there? Did you believe he was on top of some skyscraper?

(Looks like he even lifted the vanilla sky from the exact same scene in.....Vanilla Sky.)

I was just bored as hell. No tension, terrible pace. I almost fast forwarded it. Yuck.

I get not wanting trailers to show too much but WTF is this movie supposed to be about?

Dystopian take on Caesar and Brutus. Mixed in with much of the systemic decay created by institutions, much in the vein of David Simon's The Wire. IMHO, a concept like this will work better as a long form prestige TV series. If it's considered moderately passable, it will be compared to Jesse Armstrong's Succession on HBO. Except as a homeless man's version of it.

That being said, I'm willing to give it a chance. Stories like this functionally need a malignant narcissist as the primary antagonist, and it's just incredibly difficult to encapsulate the pathology of one within a 2-3 hour single block. It's not impossible, but it's just really hard. The last film I saw that really was able to make it workable was August Osage County, and you needed basically an All Star cast and Harvey Weinstein committing to losing money on the film from the start, which he was rarely willing to do.

Last edited:
An accident destroys a New York City-like metropolis already in decay. Cesar Catilina, an idealist architect with the power to control time, aims to rebuild the city as a sustainable utopia, while his opposition, corrupt Mayor Franklyn Cicero, remains committed to a regressive status quo. Coming between the opposing men and their visions is Franklyn's socialite daughter, Julia. Tired of the attention and power she was born with, Julia searches for her life's meaning

An accident destroys a New York City-like metropolis already in decay. Cesar Catilina, an idealist architect with the power to control time, aims to rebuild the city as a sustainable utopia, while his opposition, corrupt Mayor Franklyn Cicero, remains committed to a regressive status quo. Coming between the opposing men and their visions is Franklyn's socialite daughter, Julia. Tired of the attention and power she was born with, Julia searches for her life's meaning

Sounds like a preachy snooze-fest :(

Back