multi-piece diorama idea

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gideon

Super Freak
Reaction score
Lots of folks here have posted in the past that they want a diorama of all nine members of the Fellowship and Bill the Pony as they cross Middle-earth. Some have said that would mean the scale must be smaller. How about this?

They do the idea as three different dioramas released four to six months apart. Scale would be the same as Helms Deep diorama. Each can have three of the Fellowship on it. The bases will all contain much the of the same type landscape and are made to be joined together to form one lengthy piece that is unified. They could charge around $250 for each portion. In the end we get something three feet long or more and something that captures an iconic image of the film.

yeah, good idea, three pieces, they could use the round standard base for the middle section, and then left and right a moonshape base to make them fit in for the complete set ...

yeah, good idea, three pieces, they could use the round standard base for the middle section, and then left and right a moonshape base to make them fit in for the complete set ...

Hell no! We're talking about a diorama here, not a couple of statues on a black base! :cool:

Statues (WETA) have an oval black shaped base.
Dioramas have a standard round base

:lecture:lecture:lecture :D

Ah ok you meant that one.... :eek:

You're not completely right about that tho. The base of the Eagle vs Fell Beast diorama is oval shaped, the Walls of Helm's Deep is round but in no way "standard" and the base of the Treachery of Saruman is eh... well no particular shape at all. I guess you're mistaken with the round bases of the premium format figures? :confused:

Lots of folks here have posted in the past that they want a diorama of all nine members of the Fellowship and Bill the Pony as they cross Middle-earth. Some have said that would mean the scale must be smaller. How about this?

They do the idea as three different dioramas released four to six months apart. Scale would be the same as Helms Deep diorama. Each can have three of the Fellowship on it. The bases will all contain much the of the same type landscape and are made to be joined together to form one lengthy piece that is unified. They could charge around $250 for each portion. In the end we get something three feet long or more and something that captures an iconic image of the film.

I don't see anyway this would be done for under $900. And after seeing the drop off in the X-Men vs Sentinel dio's I'd prefer to see what I'm buying up front...I wouldn't want any "surprises"

Ah ok you meant that one.... :eek:

You're not completely right about that tho. The base of the Eagle vs Fell Beast diorama is oval shaped, the Walls of Helm's Deep is round but in no way "standard" and the base of the Treachery of Saruman is eh... well no particular shape at all. I guess you're mistaken with the round bases of the premium format figures? :confused:

No round base on this one, not even close.

Some of us at SDCC last year floated this idea to one of the SS folks. Wasn't met with a negative, but not necessarily positive either. But was good to see that at least we were being given an opportunity to express our ideas.

Good to see others thinking along those lines....maybe a reaffirmation of this idea would get them to think about it more as doable?

Yeah, it wasn't turned down for sure so hopefully that means there will be a few ideas that if it can be split into multiple dio's can be made.

Some of us at SDCC last year floated this idea to one of the SS folks. Wasn't met with a negative, but not necessarily positive either. But was good to see that at least we were being given an opportunity to express our ideas.

Good to see others thinking along those lines....maybe a reaffirmation of this idea would get them to think about it more as doable?

SS would definitely need to hire the right sculptor for something of this magnitude or it could end up being a disaster. I'll place my vote with Trevor Grove here and now. If there's someone out there who does better facial sculpts I don't know them.

I think it's a cool idea but like Woodsy, I would like to see the completed diorama ahead of time, before committing to the entire dio.

I think that $250 per piece would be too expensive, though. It's just the characters themselves with no lighting functions, no complicated diorama environment and simple poses (walking?). $150 or less would definitely work.

Probably be "4" pieces in total, with 3 characters per piece plus Bill the pony by himself.

This is one piece where a nice (and small) nameplate, simply saying "The Fellowship of the Ring", would not be bad at all.

Great. great idea...

whether SS listens is another matter though.

I am not holding my breath either.

I would also want to make sure that this completed dio with bases "locked" together was display friendly. For me, that would have to be able to fit on a shelf, so most of the characters would be side by side, not in a gathering.

I think the original idea was to have the fellowship displayed like this:
25.jpg

Egg-xactly! Probably the most iconic of all. It screams "LOTR". I have this scene in pewter from Noble, but would sure love to see what SS could do with it.

Back