Media-Movie Need help from my Star Wars brethren identifying this item.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Madden

You Are A Tooooooy!!!
Reaction score
Ok, I have tried to search for this but part of the problem is that I'm not quite sure what to call it. First the story then the pics.

A friend at work has this and said it was a promo item given to theater owners in 1977 before the movie came out for them to decide if they wanted to order it or not. Its not the program that was given out and its not the press kit (I have seen pics of both and they are different.) What's kind of throwing me off is that the font spelling out "Star Wars" is not the real font. The pamphlet is about 11" x 14" and has about 10 - 12 pages of pictures. The box is exactly the same on both sides. I'm hoping somebody knows what the heck this is and maybe what its worth.

Help me Sideshow freaks.... you're my only hope. :r2d2line

IMG_20150218_180233.jpg
IMG_20150218_174733.jpg
IMG_20150218_084423007.jpg
IMG_20150218_084411626.jpg
IMG_20150218_084433502.jpg
IMG_20150218_174822.jpg
IMG_20150218_084327184.jpg
IMG_20150218_174748.jpg

Looks like the Star Wars Campaign Booklet, if you google Star Wars 1977 Campaign Book you should be able to find some info, though I'm not sure specifically what you are looking for.

The font is indeed different, back when they were using the pointy W in Wars which was changed. Some of the prerelease stuff had that.

edit: what it's worth no idea, someone on rebel scum was buying one a while ago and it seems like he found one. Hit him up and see what he payed for it? I don't think it's worth thousands if that's what you hoping, maybe a couple hundred? Total guess though :p

Campaign booklet. I never would have thought to call it that. Thanks. I am really just trying to find out exactly what the heck it is.

Last edited:
It is exactly as your friend says, a promotional booklet given out before the movie was released aimed at getting theaters to show it. It has the pointy W because at the time that was what they were going to use for the movie, but they changed it. Pretty much all there is to it I think....

edit: If you're looking to find out if it's rare it is compared to most other star wars stuff, and apparently the box is sough after to go with it. But it was still given out en-masse to theaters so it's not impossible to find I'd imagine.

Ok, so its not really THAT big a deal then. I figured its not worth a super lot (especially in its very rough condition) but everywhere I searched I could only find the program and the press kit... never saw this one. Guess it helps to know what to call it. :duh

Well there were thousands of them given out for free :p If you want an idea like I said ask the guy on rpf, or sign up on this site (it's supposed to be free it says) and see what it went for at auction: Star Wars (20th Century Fox, 1977). Campaign Book (11" X | Lot #55387 | Heritage Auctions

Sold for $167. Doesn't look like he had the box so probably add a little more for that. Thanks for the info guys. Still a neat item... I may see if my friend wants to get rid of it. :)

Definitely neat, don't see much stuff with the pointy W and those are actually some pretty high quality images for 1977. If you're trying to get a deal on it mention that auction houses take a decent cut so the seller didn't actually get 167$. I guess my estimate of 200 was pretty fair :p

Yeah, other than the "dent" on the cover the booklet is in great shape... the box not so much. :)

Well.. I got it for $50. I would have gone a little higher but he set the price. He also said his brother has some 70’s early 80’s Star Wars stuff that he might possibly want to get rid of so I may be asking again for some help if its “weird” stuff like this again. :)

Back