SS Kanamit into Chewie and Darth--- HELP!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil, more than likely I'd say "yes", it will be pretty useless. The pics I've seen of others look alot like the recast that I got years ago. Alot of the detail & scale ends up lost (mainly on the top part of the mask & the lines on the gloves..the chest box on mine was total crap). On mine I resculpted areas of the head to improve it & I tried to fix some of the warped areas of the helmet. I was able to make a nice Vader with it overall, but I definitely want to make another with pieces from original parts from Screamin & Ertl. For the work I had to put into patching & resculpting, it wasn't worth it.

wax murderer said:
ERTL is the company that bought AMT and MPC and therefore has most of the American Trek and Wars plastic kit licenses, though they also did a few vinyl figure kits as well. While not great, they could be bashed for parts. Avoid the recasts; aside from supporting what are essentially pirates, they are usually quite a bit smaller than the original kits. As an example, I've seen a recast of the Kaiyodo Vader that is a full inch shorter than the original kit; the helmet is also somewhat distorted. The guy who bought it was not pleased...
I have molds for a Vader reveal mask set, if you are interested. Here's a couple of pictures...
PICT0067.jpg

PICT0057.jpg

Let me know if you're interested...PS

I'm interested ! Would it be cast in resin ? What figure is it cast from ? I've been wanting to do one of these for a long time now and I finally have some free time to be able to devote to it.

die said:
Neil, more than likely I'd say "yes", it will be pretty useless. The pics I've seen of others look alot like the recast that I got years ago. Alot of the detail & scale ends up lost (mainly on the top part of the mask & the lines on the gloves..the chest box on mine was total crap). On mine I resculpted areas of the head to improve it & I tried to fix some of the warped areas of the helmet. I was able to make a nice Vader with it overall, but I definitely want to make another with pieces from original parts from Screamin & Ertl. For the work I had to put into patching & resculpting, it wasn't worth it.

I bought a recast from Thailand back in November, I must say that the details were very good for what it was. It was just a tad small. If I was going to just build it and keep it as a model it would have been fine. I will tell you though that after some trimming of the mask/helmet I was able to TIGHTLY squeeze a Crispy Anakin head, after I trimmed his ears. He shouldn't have had them any way! But I wasn't happy with the results. I had to cut the neck brace in half and "add"" a piece of vinyl to make the neck brace bigger.

Oh well---- I'll just have to wait and get a look at it when it arrives...

:vader Begins soon...

:chew Probably sooner---

wax murderer said:
ERTL is the company that bought AMT and MPC and therefore has most of the American Trek and Wars plastic kit licenses, though they also did a few vinyl figure kits as well. While not great, they could be bashed for parts. Avoid the recasts; aside from supporting what are essentially pirates, they are usually quite a bit smaller than the original kits. As an example, I've seen a recast of the Kaiyodo Vader that is a full inch shorter than the original kit; the helmet is also somewhat distorted. The guy who bought it was not pleased...
I have molds for a Vader reveal mask set, if you are interested. Here's a couple of pictures...
PICT0067.jpg

PICT0057.jpg

Let me know if you're interested...PS
correct me if im wrong isnt this the hasbro 14" vaders helmet/mask set up? if so i have literally hundreds of these.........

comparison shots, screamin original kit parts, with the recasts, the recasts are all but done as a set,helmet/mask/dome/armor,some guy wanted them done but never paid so they are available.....(theyre medicom sort of size)
armor (screamin, the bigger chest armor) was undercoated with acrylic based automotive matt black (halfords for us in the UK), then tamiya gunmetal or 45%black 55% silver mix airbrushed on, all sealed with tamiya clear gloss
DSCF0043-1.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF0046-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are more comparision shots. The first is the recast, original kit, Hasbro,and last is Wax's. As you can see Wax's version is a greatly modified version of the Hasbro's, it doesnt have that gorilla look to it and is also better scaled for 1/6. Its also is a tad bigger than the Kaiyodo/Scream'n original.
DSC05289.jpg

DSC05295.jpg

DSC05296.jpg

Hope this helps.:emperor

I just got the AMT Ertl kit and it seems to be pretty huge. It also seems to be off quite a bit, pretty inaccurate (especially the chest armor & the top of the mask)

Oh...and he comes with Obi Wan's lightsaber, WTF.:lol

If I remember correctly, when I bought the AMT Luke, he had Vader's lightsaber.

If you cant find a screamin kit id say waxs cast is the way to go, it has the brow detail which the screamin kit lacks and also offers the reveal option without the pain of cutting the screamin versions helmet in half etc.I have a few sets of the upper armor from the screamin kit which would compliment Waxs helmet nicely.The screamin kit however in my eyes is more accurrate profile wise and if you can face making the brow detail from scratch and slicing the thing in half,could be the way to go...on a side note ive had a couple genuine screamin kits turn up molded in grey vinyl instead of black, on comparison with a black vinyl one,it was slightly bigger all round and the details actually crisper.....not sure of its story? first batch of moldings maybe? pic attached is a 'finished' screamin' helmet/mask
DSCF0088.jpg
[/IMG]

Hurricane, I'm about to slice my Screamin mask in half, any advice? Also once separated how do you keep it together once you reassemble it? I mean the mask and the neck brace??

heat it with a hairdryer,not too much,very sharp blade,extreme caution,i score with the blade along the lines before cutting...dunno if this helps any?

Darthrazz said:
katkuru, thank you for posting the comparisons. What colors did ypou use to paint the WaxMurderer mask?
I used acylic paints, iron/cannon black, straight black, silver and copper. For the eye lenses I used the plastic moldings from the Ultimate villian set and painted them with Tamiya smoke. If your going for that red tinted look from ANH use the smoke color, when the head is in the mask it will appear reddish just like the original! If its the ESB or ROTJ just keep layering the smoke tint till its dark black. Hope this helps.:emperor

die said:
I just got the AMT Ertl kit and it seems to be pretty huge. It also seems to be off quite a bit, pretty inaccurate (especially the chest armor & the top of the mask)

Oh...and he comes with Obi Wan's lightsaber, WTF.:lol

If I remember correctly, when I bought the AMT Luke, he had Vader's lightsaber.

For my Vader I found that the cod piece and the chest box from the AMT Ertl kit was a perfect fit. Especially the cod piece it has that rounded shape on the bottom not just flat.:emperor

katkuru said:
I used acylic paints, iron/cannon black, straight black, silver and copper. For the eye lenses I used the plastic moldings from the Ultimate villian set and painted them with Tamiya smoke. If your going for that red tinted look from ANH use the smoke color, when the head is in the mask it will appear reddish just like the original! If its the ESB or ROTJ just keep layering the smoke tint till its dark black. Hope this helps.:emperor

Great minds, Katkaru!!!!:D

Good luck Darthrazz. Sounds like an interesting project!

Ok gang, since we all seem to be on a Vader building kick I went searching for ideas on the web and came across this site. It's badly translated through Babelfish, but it gets it point across. It seems that someone took a Kotobukiya Vader and a Marmit Body and made there own Vader. it looks really, really good, but I believe it's still 1/7 scale. Enjoy

https://babelfish.altavista.com/bab...ttp://www2.tranzas.ne.jp/~uck503/page003.html

paulcarson said:
I saw that and the head / mask is pretty accurate in that scale . Its a big shame that it wasn't a little bigger !

I have that Koto at home and that Mask is dead on! It looks great, but as you said it's so small. It even has great detail on the neck brace.

hurricane said:
heat it with a hairdryer,not too much,very sharp blade,extreme caution,i score with the blade along the lines before cutting...dunno if this helps any?

Sure does! Thanks Hurricane! I know that I coulsd use magnets to keep the Dome on the Helmet, can you offer any advice for keeping the Mask on the neckbrace once it's cut?

Back