SW VS. LOTR #15: Yoda VS. Gollum

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoda VS. Gollum

• Total voters
Wetanut said:
Gollum. Although I feel that Yoda was one of the best-realized characters that Lucas came up with in the entire saga, Gollum's importance to the LOTR story cannot be minimized. His impact is interwoven within the very fabric of the various plots and sub-plots and is the catalyst for the story's resolution.

So very true and I would immediately agree but for the fact that Tom's poll is based around the films. There were a few changes to the story that made Gollum feel like an after thought.

I am actually having a hard time choosing with this one. As much as I love Yoda, Gollum is a complex and tragic and fascinating and amusing and sympathetic and revolting character. Without him, the ring would not have been destroyed. I think that Gollum is the most unique and distinctive character in all of LOTR. Add to that the fact that he was extremely well realized on film, and I am having a hard time dismissing him. But I can't bring myself to vote against Yoda, either. If I was voting based on the prequels, Yoda would lose--but toss in the OT and it's a tough choice. When I saw Empire as a kid, I believed that Yoda was real.

I am still thinking about who to vote for this time...

tomandshell said:
I am actually having a hard time choosing with this one. As much as I love Yoda, Gollum is a complex and tragic and fascinating and amusing and sympathetic and revolting character. Without him, the ring would not have been destroyed. I think that Gollum is the most unique and distinctive character in all of LOTR. Add to that the fact that he was extremely well realized on film, and I am having a hard time dismissing him. But I can't bring myself to vote against Yoda, either. If I was voting based on the prequels, Yoda would lose--but toss in the OT and it's a tough choice. When I saw Empire as a kid, I believed that Yoda was real.

I feel the same way. Toughest choice yet. Gollum was much more integral to the story of LOTR than Yoda was to SW... but in the end I voted as I always do... for whom I prefer.

Yoda is a character that, more than many others, stays with you long after the film is over.

LOTRFan said:
So very true and I would immediately agree but for the fact that Tom's poll is based around the films. There were a few changes to the story that made Gollum feel like an after thought.

The gollum from the books is debatable as the most important character in the series. without him, the ring wouldn't have been destroyed. but you could say that without yoda luke wouldn't have become etc, etc, etc. My vote goes to yoda, because he's the more interesting looking little midget.

I voted for Yoda. Gollum like Rumi said is so vital to LOTR that I had a hard time choosing. I went with Yoda because he is important to SW as well and because I prefer Yoda more. This is by far the toughest choice so far.

tomandshell said:

Tom, I couldn't have said it better myself. Gollum is such a complex, and divided character. Sauron would've almost certainly gotten the ring if it weren't for Gollum so I'd say his importance can't be matched by Yoda. We saw Yoda fight twice, how many of those fights did he win?

But there is a reason that ESB is my favorite SW movie. I never get tired of every second on Degobah. I have the PF coming and the Yoda life size bust on order.

Tough, tough choice.

tomandshell said:

Let me help you Tom. Which of these two is in your sig? :rolleyes:

TheObsoleteMan said:
Yoda. To this day, even though I'm a grown man and I know it's just a puppet, when I watch ESB he still seems alive to me. That's how compelling that character is.
That says it for me too.

Yoda, Y o d a, Yoda.

Two very different characters, but I have to say gollum because he stole most of the show... provided comic relief, as well as made me feel poignant sadness. An extremely complex character and very believable. In the later SW movies, Yoda looked animated.

I chose Gollum because I'm a LotR homer and because of Yoda's battle scene with Dooku in AotC. It was a hard choice basically because they're both thieves and murders. :p

Looking at the poll, I would have to say "Poor Smeagol. Nobody likes him. He doesn't have any friends.":monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

I surprised myself by voting for little Smeagol.

I made the titanic mistake of reading "Star Wars on Trial" and now I can't look at Yoda the same way anymore....:monkey2

Customikey said:
I surprised myself by voting for little Smeagol.

I made the titanic mistake of reading "Star Wars on Trial" and now I can't look at Yoda the same way anymore....:monkey2
What is Star Wars on trial?

Back