The Detolf Massacre

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy that really sucks. :monkey2

I know how you feel I lost 2 PFs in a Thunderstorm.

Wasn't there another thread a few months back in the Star Wars section about this same thing happening to somebody else? :confused:

Examples like this unfortunate incident is why I'll never buy any case that has a glass shelf. I just don't trust them. I've heard numerous stories just like this for 10 years about how either the shelf broke or like in this case the shelf "shifted." I'll take good old fashioned wood furniture anyday over glass.

There was a guy once on an old DC board I used to visit that lost over $4000 when one of his large multi-shelf display cases had the top shelf "shift" just like this accident and he lost every single DCD statue he had been collecting for over 10 years. :(

Sorry for your loss, truly a collectors nightmare.

LOTRFan said:
The Detolfs are great cabinets but you do have to make sure that the glass stays centered on the frame, if you do; you won't have problems.
Exactly. With all the Detolf owners here I can't believe nobody noticed that the cabinet wasn't assembled correctly. The horizontal bars on the left metal frame are pointing to the outside, they HAVE TO point to the inside. If you do it right you only have about 1cm of glass left on each side, but if you reverse one frame there is less than 0,5cm left on each side. That's not much safety space for bumps/heavy vibrations etc.

I'm not pointing the finger at you Anthos. This is just meant as a friendly heads-up for the next assembly.

Oh wow. That really sucks, I'm sorry to see this have happened.

No way would I ever use Detolfs for my stuff, especially anything particularly breakable. I don't think they are inherently bad, but I live in the SF Bay Area.

I have nightmares as to what a quake might do to my Jabba's throne; I pretty much stay away from statues for this reason.

Do you have homeowwner's insurance, and do you think it would cover this?

Hey everyone, despite what happened, I still want people to know the Detolfs are good cabinets. When I had my basement project last year, I enlisted some help building these and the other cabinets and during the day and half it took to assembl all of these, I really should have double checked everything to make sure it was assembled correctly. I suppose after a long stretch of putting together shelving, it was easy to miss the rods being on the outside, but since the shleves fit I thought it might have been ok. After closer inspection, I noticed one other of my detolfs is built this way (2 out of 7 isn't bad . I spent yesterday fixing the situation.

I'm still very upset that I lost those, and one day I hope to get them back, but it's over and I'm moving on. Thanks for your sympathies guys.

I'm not even sure how I'd react if I had that happen to me. Even covered by insurance it would be a heartbreak.

Bodie The Cursed said:
A good quake could wipe me out 100%..
Thats the kind of stuff I think about!! Damn what if a quake hits me now! even a small one can **** things up!!!:monkey2 :monkey2 this kind of thinking doesnt let me sleep at night!:monkey2 :monkey2

p!tu said:
Thats the kind of stuff I think about!! Damn what if a quake hits me now! even a small one can **** things up!!!:monkey2 :monkey2 this kind of thinking doesnt let me sleep at night!:monkey2 :monkey2
Besides, you do a good enough job breaking stuff on your own! :lol

jason2885 said:
I know that would suck but I just have to ask how that happened.

Both of the PFs, Vampyre and Frank, were on top of a bookcase. A strong wind blew threw the house and both fell over. Later I found out that there was a tornado in my area, about 3 miles from my house, and that the gust of wind probably came from the tornado.

Also the Vampyre and Frank PFs aren't that sturdy in the first place since both were the first PFs ever made. The Vampyre's stand is just horrible. Nowadays Sideshow has learned from their previous pieces and the PFs are now very sturdy.

This is why you should ALWAYS GET INSURANCE ON YOUR COLLECTIBLES. :lecture

Bonehead15 said:
Both of the PFs, Vampyre and Frank, were on top of a bookcase. A strong wind blew threw the house and both fell over. Later I found out that there was a tornado in my area, about 3 miles from my house, and that the gust of wind probably came from the tornado.

Also the Vampyre and Frank PFs aren't that sturdy in the first place since both were the first PFs ever made. The Vampyre's stand is just horrible. Nowadays Sideshow has learned from their previous pieces and the PFs are now very sturdy.

This is why you should ALWAYS GET INSURANCE ON YOUR COLLECTIBLES. :lecture

Well said!

OMG! aren't u the same person i sold my extra Spidey on street lamp (from the dio) to because his mom-n-law boke it? sheesh, ban the inlaws! so very sorry to hear bout this. :monkey2

p!tu said:

Dude! You live in Florida. I think the odds are slim!:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Back