The Life of a Completist

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Aykroyd

Super Freak
Reaction score
In the past few weeks I've been thinking about dropping the 1/6 Star Wars line and in turn moving towards collecting only PFs and replicas. Whether this will actually happen, I can't say - but I've been thinking about it.

The same thing happened to me when SSC came out with the 12" line - I stopped collecting 4.5". I completed the POTF and Jedi lines and sold the rest.

If I do stop collecting the 1/6 figures, my collection will be far from complete. In turn, Ill probably sell the figures I have rather than end up with an incomplete set.

For the completists out there - at what point do you get rid of a line instead of keeping what you have? Or similarly, at what point do you stop collecting a line even though there are more to come?

Honestly, I put an end to that attitude. It is hard at first but more rewarding in the end. Just buy what you like. The rest get rid of. Me and Ebay are becoming friends again.

BadMoon said:
Honestly, I put an end to that attitude. It is hard at first but more rewarding in the end. Just buy what you like. The rest get rid of. Me and Ebay are becoming friends again.

My thoughts exatly. Badmoon put it right that you should only collect what you like. I've been through the whole "completist" thing. It was fun but in the end, it really didn't feel rewarding. It felt like I had the life (and money) zapped out of collecting. I looked back at a few pieces that I collected that I asked myself later "Why did I buy that (other than being a completist)? I already have 6 other versions of the same exact thing. I thought about getting out of collecting after that. Luckily, Sideshow zapped me right back in. I only collect what I want which are the SW (Original Trilogy) Premium Format characters. They look great in my display and they aren't stored away in a basement like my other "complete" collection.

BadMoon said:

Bingo, thats the way I went. I wanted to get all the Star Wars 12" but soon realized that wasn't going to happen (because of money and room.) It was tough to cancel some and ebay the others but that gave me the money for Jabba and I am very happy with that decision... and my recent cleanout of my Holiday Edition figs and some other stuff gave me enough money for the Terminator endoskeleton.

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock
madden821 said:
Bingo, thats the way I went. I wanted to get all the Star Wars 12" but soon realized that wasn't going to happen (because of money and room.) It was tough to cancel some and ebay the others but that gave me the money for Jabba and I am very happy with that decision.

I bet you are! Jabba rocks!

Yeah thanks guys - I hear what you are saying. But its SO hard not to want to have every single SSC 1/6 standing there on the shelf!

I can understand holding back on bigger things (say the PFs) -but the 12" line just ASKs to be displayed as a whole.

Or, Im nuts. :chew :chew

Though I can see only wanting the 'Jabba display' or OT charaters etc.
Themed collections make complete sence to me to.

The Earl of Dunfield said:
Yeah thanks guys - I hear what you are saying. But its SO hard not to want to have every single SSC 1/6 standing there on the shelf!

Once you let the first one go it becomes much easier.

Quality over quantity anyway. I have bailed on the 1/6 line except for the Jedi/Sith and a few pieces left for the Jabba set up.

I am really into PF's, Cinemaquettes and replicas as well now. The 1/6 line great and I want all the Jedi/Sith because it's the only format most them will ever see....especially the Jedi, but this line can go on forever and have far too many figures to display if you collect anything else. If you're just into 1/6 then it's a fantastic line that will give you a FULL sized collection all by itself.

madden821 said:
Once you let the first one go it becomes much easier.

I agree! I had to let go of the Endor Troopers. While they are great figures I just can't buy them. They just weren't relevant enough to me. Plus something takes away from a figure to me when it is made in the image of that companies employee. Not even close to being in the film. They are nice and it is hard. I just said no Bush style. LOL! Not current Bush. Barbara Bush style. LOL! Just say NO!

I'm married, so I can't be a completist. But completism seems a little boring to me, because than, no matter what it is you're trying to complete, there will be at least ONE piece you don't really like, REALLY, and you'll A- Blow the cash anyway, or B-Convince yourself you like it. It's usually more than 1 piece too, but whatever. It's your $$$$$$$.

PosterBoyKelly said:
I'm married, so I can't be a completist. But completism seems a little boring to me, because than, no matter what it is you're trying to complete, there will be at least ONE piece you don't really like, REALLY, and you'll A- Blow the cash anyway, or B-Convince yourself you like it. It's usually more than 1 piece too, but whatever. It's your $$$$$$$.

Well said. Although great to own the whole line of something there is always a bunch of crap you don't like. Get out of that way of thinking. It is hard. It took me years.

BadMoon said:

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Back