To kitbash/customize, or simply buy it from someone else?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that were the case figures like Willy Wonka, The Dude, Doc Holiday, Bill the Butcher, etc., would've sat unbought.
You make a fair point, but there was a fair sized groundswell of interest for most of those figures (Doc actually being an exception, in that I think a single member really got that one pushed through), because they appeal to a niche collector base interested in "cult" movie characters (broadly defined) who populate Rainman threads for the most part. I haven't seen that for any of the characters I'm referencing. Even guys who do mostly or exclusively horror seem uninterested in those guys, instead going after umpteen variations of Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, and Freddy Krueger.

IMG_9559.jpg

Watched this the other night, nice work:clap

Wrong. If I buy dozens of different parts on ebay and assemble a figure, that's kitbashing. If I change outfits to make HT's Hawkeye a plainclothed version using a Hommes suit, that's kitbashing (though to a lesser extreme). Tossing some paint on and altering it from a "stock" state is a level above "kitbashing," but is in no way comparable to someone who sculpts a head from a wad of clay or wax, or hand sews a shirt/pants from a piece of fabric. Using your own analogy, just because someone paints a car or swaps out the stock wheels for a set of mag tires, and lowers the car, that doesn't suddenly make them a car manufacturer. That's Pixy's point.

I'm wrong because you say so?
What if you are modifying the parts you are buying (adding facial hair to a head, altering, dying or otherwise redesigning the clothes you bought) ? What then is that? What about people who buy unpainted heads and paint them themselves? Where does that fall into your set of rules?

I'm wrong because you say so?
What if you are modifying the parts you are buying (adding facial hair to a head, altering, dying or otherwise redesigning the clothes you bought) ? What then is that? What about people who buy unpainted heads and paint them themselves? Where does that fall into your set of rules?

No, you're wrong because you're wrong. Siquisiri posted right after I did, basically providing a prime example of the point I was making. Did you miss that?

Let me see if I can clear things up between a kitbasher and a customizer. A kitbasher relies on existing parts without changing it. Despite that some may argue that putting a suit together for a doll is art, it isn't. If is considered art, then we are all skilled artist since we all pick and choose our own clothing on a daily basis. An artist modify the parts. He or she may not design the whole figure. If one thinks about it, a lot of toys out there aren't designed by one guy. It can take a team and this isn't counting the concept design stage. If one reads the credits on a 1/6 toy, one can see that one guy did the head, another painted the face, another guy did some of the accessories, another did the clothings, etc... Even though that Elvis didn't sculpted the head from scratch, he did painted his heads in a realistic manner and I am sure he knows how to draw. Painting the head along makes him an artist.

:confused::sleep

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoqSDvMMzE8&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoqSDvMMzE8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Back on subject some what, my customizing has cut back because I'm getting tired of putting the money and work into making a figure and a year later Hot Toys or some other company announces they're doing the same character. That and I can't think of too many more I'd want in my collection that I don't have or have made.

I think it is all the same customizing and kit bashing.
So if you buy buy parts to build a full figure is that not a custom?
Also buying somebody else's custom figure are collectors.
But since I have started painting and what not for other people I have been buying already painted heads from the likes of Cheungkinmen as I don't have the time time you paint my own stuff and I like variety.
I love other peoples art work as I'm my own worst critic.
Also somebody whom buys existing clothes and weathers them is a customizer or even if they just paint a gun they are still a customizer.

But then the people whom make the clothes are tailors and the people who make the heads are sculptors.

At the end of the day it is only a hobby and should be enjoyed.
Whom cares what the figure turns out like at the end?
As long as the person is happy then who are we to say otherwise
Some people are better than others and some people don't even know how to dress a figure but that is up to them.

I agree with you 100%, as I feel most open-minded individuals on this board do as well, Hidden Jitsu.

Sadly, the leaders of this thread will soon show you the error of your ways.

I think it is all the same customizing and kit bashing.
So if you buy buy parts to build a full figure is that not a custom?
Also buying somebody else's custom figure are collectors.
But since I have started painting and what not for other people I have been buying already painted heads from the likes of Cheungkinmen as I don't have the time time you paint my own stuff and I like variety.
I love other peoples art work as I'm my own worst critic.
Also somebody whom buys existing clothes and weathers them is a customizer or even if they just paint a gun they are still a customizer.

But then the people whom make the clothes are tailors and the people who make the heads are sculptors.

At the end of the day it is only a hobby and should be enjoyed.
Whom cares what the figure turns out like at the end?
As long as the person is happy then who are we to say otherwise
Some people are better than others and some people don't even know how to dress a figure but that is up to them.

:goodpost:

Here's my thought from someone who has a bunch of stuff going but nothing completed :lol
Kitbash...tear down, redo, repaint
Custom...start from scratch, original sculpt, hand made clothes etc.
Btw...best gif ever Sparkstron73!

Last edited:
Okay. Since it seems that we've regressed into a semantic argument about the differences between "Customizing" and "kitbashing"...

Lets talk about Flipping instead!

Last edited:
my customizing has cut back because I'm getting tired of putting the money and work into making a figure and a year later Hot Toys or some other company announces they're doing the same character.
Same here ! or buy again and again to replace the crappy parts over and over. In the end, your custom became more expensive than Hot Toys :panic:

Back