1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if use the armor insulate it with fabric or foam so that it wont scratch it be warned ! Or display seperate from each ther. Mine will stay in the box.

This is pretty depressing reading. I guess expecting a clean finish on a $600+ collectible is too much to expect.

Hope SSCs helps out with this but it's more likely they will just offer some cash back or a full refund.

Not likely that they bought a crap ton of these to address QC issues.

Hope mine is ok tomorrow or I'll be in the same boat too.

I have a hard time believing the foam is scratching the car.

Me too, I've been putting on a taking off my shield since I got it on Monday, several times a day, and there's no scuff marks on my car. (a few fingerprints on my shield though, but I don't really care about those because they easily wipe off every time).

I think the only way the foam is scratching the car is only if they miss handled it on the way to the states.

I would ask the toy store to put fragile or mark it all over the box to handle it with care on the notes. The QC checks are fine by the way.

Right, I personally still believe there is no way the foam is making these deep looking scratches. The foam in the canopy is very soft stuff (except at the back of the fins). If anything, if it was harder and the same size, it might cause a large area paint rub similar to what we saw on the first batch Tumbler roof, but remember, that was caused by contact with/rubbing against with HARD styrofoam packaging. The scratches and scuffs we're seeing are thinner and more intense. How a large piece of soft foam in contact with the car would make a thin, intense scratch makes no sense to me, and definitely hasn't been my experience with the foam so far.

I am still kinda shocked by the damage because was packed very securely and safe. I can see it getting scuffed if the inside shell foam isnt there. On another note are the wheels o.k to be on a t.v stand or should i put something under the wheels?

I put a thick softcover book under the center of mine to take the weight off of the wheels for now. I wouldn't leave it resting on the wheels too long, but even if you do, I think the most you'd have to deal with is a slight flattening of the rubber where it's in contact with the furniture, and depending on what your T.V. stand is made off, it might affect it too.

the problem with making large things...i almost expect some form of damages with things this size.

This is what I was thinking too, on a piece this large, there's bound to be some imperfection right? But these sharp scratches and scuffs are more than what I expected.

Oh man I was planning to use the shield as a dust cover for a few weeks until my custom case was ready. Oh well I guess I will just flip the empty box over top of it until the case is ready.

Stupid foam.

I'm going to continue to "risk" using my shield on my car. It hasn't been damaged in transport with the shield on (judging by the condition of the shipper box, it had a rough ride). Fortunately I have all the foam pieces, and I always take it off and put it on very carefully, so I really don't think the foam is causing it.

I trust the foam. In fact, I'm considering adding some MORE foam to the shield to protect the car from contact with it.

I think the problem is no foam where the canopy would fit. WHY would they not pad that part?
The scuff mark i saw was on the canopy driver side.

I agree, there should be foam around the canopy area too. One the other hand, because of the foam over the gun flaps and the trunk area, the canopy part of the shield should never actually come into contact with the actual canopy, so I guess they thought that was enough. Better safe than sorry though, which is why I plan on adding more (and possibly lining the whole inside of the shield + foam pieces with a microfiber cloth---just to be sure).

Guy, dont forget how finding marks or scratches usually happen a few days in after recieving your piece. Once you've unboxed a new piece your so taken aback by it and in awe of it that you tend to not see any imperfections...however, once you go back a few more times its then you start to notice a mark here and there and then you question yourself as to whether it was there before or if it may have just happened a few moments ago? True right...

So dont be surprised if you didnt see something initially...it took me a while to carefully inspect my Batmobile in broad daylight to find 2 noticable imperfections. However, in the evening when the car is lit up by the light used in my display room the car looks perfect and the marks hardly noticable. Its still enough to bug the hell out of you cos you now know that they are there and are the first things your eyes are drawn to!

I too have a scratch like mark around the cockpit which i never noticed during the unboxing, mine however is not as bad as some i've seen but still noticable in heavy daylight. Running my finger over the mark it actually feels very deep and isnt just a feint scratch so although i am still unsure as to what is caused this, it must have been something with enough force to remove the paint surface and leave an indentation...

Like a few others, I also have one of those gluey residue marks from the circle window behind the cockpit where you have to peel off the film. This is impossible to remove and is rock hard glue...whats the deal here guys? :dunno So many QC issues and the majority are all in the same places around the car!

I have contacted Sideshow and am expected to recieve an answer today. As to whether it will be the answer i want is a different matter altogether but for a collectible which costs a huge amount of money for some people, this matter cannot be overlooked with a measly credit of $50...i'm staying confident i'll get my replacement, SSC usually get a local retailer from my country here in the UK to come pick it up and then issue my replacement thereafter...i'm sure it will be the case here and would be suprised if they asked us to smash up our vehicles!

The only credit i'd accept would be 50% as i dont feel we should accept anything less...i know perfection doesnt exist in this world so to recieve something without a blemish is understandable but these are not blemishes and are proving to be a consistent QC issue...only negative about recieving a full refund and living in Europe is that you dont get your customs tax charge refunded...so worse case scenario i get fully refunded for the car but lose out on the customs charge! :(

Do i think its the foam causing the scratches? In my opinion, no...i've kept my shield over mine since recieving it last week and removed it over over a dozen times and no further marks have been made...it is a strange one. I'm delighted with those of you who have recieved yours in A1 condition as thats the condition we all strive to recieve when ordering these highly valuable collectibles but i'd say check thoroughly cos some of these marks i found on mine can only be seen in a certain light...

Its such a beautiful car and although my marks are not as bad as others, i'd hate to recieve a full refund and no Batmobile...especially after the long year wait. So i really hope SSC resolve everyones issues here as it would be such a shame to let this one go...however, on another note, SSC hands may be tied on this one cos how would they confirm that the replacement they are sending has infact not got any defects on it? With the scratches being so consistent with other owners, are they willing to take that risk? For all we know, we could all recieve replacements that are in worse condition than what we'd initially recieved! Then what?! For this reason alone i feel that SSC's response may not be what we all want to hear :(

Here are the only 2 marks i could find...

a4asu7us.jpg

a2e2ahym.jpg

Last edited:
What a disaster for many of you. I just cancelled mine. $700 will be put to better use.

Mine arrives today in NY.

If the same problem I will request a full refund, get my 700+ back, and be 100% done with HT forever.

Fo..re..ver, you're hearing me HT.

Probably sell my mint Tumbler just out of anger and frustration.

I wonder if a poll is a good idea? to see how widespread this issue is a simple "did your 89 BM arrive in perfect condition" yes or no type of thing? then freaks could post the particulars of issues in their follow on posts?

My Batmobile itself is perfect, I read through the last few pages this morning and decided to re-inspect everything. Seats are fine, canopy is perfect, no glue marks anywhere, it's perfect. Posted some pics below to show people this is not a problem with every Batmobile (I'm sure SS will try that line). My cocoon arrived with two wheels completely off and some minor scuffing (after the top layer was removed) but as I mentioned before, I was amazed to see how ****ed up the outer layer of the cocoon was when I opened the box, it does not look like these things were handled properly, maybe HT were over confident with their protective shell idea...

I know seeing pristine pics of the canopy may rub salt in the wounds, but I think it's useful for freaks to see that some of these at least are perfect.
I feel really bad for anyone with scuffs, personally I would freak out. I was actually so concerned when opening this, that I photographed the entire process in case there was a problem.
This Batmobile above all other HT releases needs to be pristine, it's part of the design. And for this amount of cash, it just HAS to be.

3_zps1ffc6944.jpg
1_zpsb99141a3.jpg
4_zps29a424d1.jpg
2_zps8b5cccff.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting to see how this thread turned from "release of the year", pure excitement and joy to frustration, anger and fear. Guess HT didn't see that coming...

If the same problem I will request a full refund, get my 700+ back, and be 100% done with HT forever.

Fingers and lower intestine crossed for you man, both you and DiFab have been the two freaks I know were majorly anticipating this.. hope you get a perfect one.:yess:

Good luck bro. Hope yours is fine and without any scuffs, scratches, hardened glue gobs on the windows, missing foam or any other problems.

No scratches on mine and is all fine. I wouldnt cancel this if i had a small scratch or return. This girl is beautiful and should be picked up. I am sorry for those that have the problem. This will be one of my most favorite part of my collection forever. Please think before you cancel ,this will sell out and go up in price. Also not many are gonna want to ship this beastly box after sold out. You'll be hunting for one near you to pick up to avoid the 2nd hand shipping charge's. I waited 18 months for this baby and have no intention on giving her up ever. So you gotta ask yourself how much do you want this? My guess is a lot considering if your on this page.......Be brave order and you will be super happy you did. I still have my joker smile from day one.......

Fingers and lower intestine crossed for you man, both you and DiFab have been the two freaks I know were majorly anticipating this.. hope you get a perfect one.:yess:

Good luck bro. Hope yours is fine and without any scuffs, scratches, hardened glue gobs on the windows, missing foam or any other problems.

:hi5:

:pray: :pray: :pray:

Just opened mine, very nervous about what I would find. Luckily, a few scruff marks on the front and back ends of the cocoon in the protective plastic, I imagine these may have gone through to the cocoon surface, but only minor. Should be easy to buff out if I really have to. I've no real interest in display this anyway, so it's gone back into the box.

The car is pristine, no marks. I could not be happier and anymore relieved, doing anything about any damage was going to be a nightmare from Australia.

No scratches on mine and is all fine. I wouldnt cancel this if i had a small scratch or return. This girl is beautiful and should be picked up. I am sorry for those that have the problem. This will be one of my most favorite part of my collection forever. Please think before you cancel ,this will sell out and go up in price. Also not many are gonna want to ship this beastly box after sold out. You'll be hunting for one near you to pick up to avoid the 2nd hand shipping charge's. I waited 18 months for this baby and have no intention on giving her up ever. So you gotta ask yourself how much do you want this? My guess is a lot considering if your on this page.......Be brave order and you will be super happy you did. I still have my joker smile from day one.......

I am trying real hard to over look the scratches and the depressed passenger side roof, but its super hard to over look when the whole vehicle is super smooth. one of my favorite ways to look at this beast is from the side and those scratches are just staring right back at me.

Back