Do you acknowledge the Expanded Universe?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which truth do you cling to?

• Film-only continuity

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • Film + EU continuity

Votes: 54 50.9%

• Total voters
Seth Gecko said:
And oh yeah i guess i really acknowledge since my 5 year old is named Jaina.:eek: :cool:

and it's a 50 50 tie i see.

And oh yeah i think jaina is a nice incognito SW name for a kid. I could've never named my kid anakin or something real obvious like that.Every person that we've told her name to young and old have never said oh like jaina solo? LMAO.

You should have put Only Acknowledge Original Trilogy as an option to vote. Because in my eyes the prequels didn't even happen, or at least i'm still trying to forget them.:monkey2

Agent0028 said:
I think Jaina is a pretty name.

Apparently so does everyone else." where did you come up with that?"
Oh thats so lovely wheres it from?"

"uh we just thought of it"lol :eek:

Hey it stands at 50-50 now. Does that mean when SSC offers an EU character the edition size will be at half the usual figure?

I wish I had another vote so I could vote against the EU again. :monkey3

Seriously, other than KOTOR, the CW and a few other things (mainly the Luceno novels) it's all a big pile of contrived crap (in MY opinion, of course).

Then again, I'm sure some people dig Luke drinking hot chocolate while speaking with Ben's ghost, lizards that are essentially Jedi kryptonite, and of course... the notion that IG-88 became the CPU of Death Star II and was about the destroy both the Rebels and the Empire and take over the galaxy himself just before "he" was blown up. :rolleyes:

IrishJedi said:
Then again, I'm sure some people dig Luke drinking hot chocolate while speaking with Ben's ghost, lizards that are essentially Jedi kryptonite, and of course... the notion that IG-88 became the CPU of Death Star II and was about the destroy both the Rebels and the Empire and take over the galaxy himself just before "he" was blown up. :rolleyes:

The great thing about the EU is that fans can cherry-pick the bits they like to make up their own individual continuity. Alas if you believe in ANYTHING beyond the films, you have to vote for EU!

Outlander said:
The great thing about the EU is that fans can cherry-pick the bits they like to make up their own individual continuity. Alas if you believe in ANYTHING beyond the films, you have to vote for EU!

That's the rub, though. If people want the EU to be considered "canon" then that means all of it is. It's not ala carte. So, I like to remind folks who want to believe that the EU is canon that it also means that they're watching IG-88 blow up above Endor at the end of ROTJ. :lol

I don't consider any of it canon, though. To me, it's basically licensed fan-fic.

46 votes on each side. There can't be this little Star Wars fans on the forum.
Felt I wanted to bring this thread back to people's attendion, it might just serve as a good gauge for SSC as to how much focus are they going to place on EU.
Anyway anything thats not in the movies isn't Star Wars to me, thats my stand.

The only thing I have ever really accepted was the Clone Wars cartoons because they HAD to tie directly into the existing story and the story to be told in ROTS. Sure, there was some grey area to play around in, but mostly it was a direct set up for ROTS so it tied in.

The rest of it is pretty much doo doo IMO.

i read it all and like it all...even the bad stuff. it's a great 'guilty pleasure'. much of it is contrived and cheesy or downright stupid (ig-88/death star story) and has way to much conjecture or coincidence but it really makes you appreciate the good stuff (anything by denning, traviss, stover or lucerno).

Really I consider any PT-EU canon. But OT-EU is crap. (well, most of it... I think the Legacy series has an interesting concept)

Whoa, it's back at 50-50 again!

Just occurred to me that all the latest Sideshow versions of characters have appeared in the EU ...

Yavin Luke: in several comics between ANH and Empire
Boushh Leia: in Shadows of the Empire
Asajj Ventress: well, she's an EU character!
Holographic Sidious: with Asajj in Clone Wars Animated

I selectively choose what EU I consider canon. ie. most of NJO, not canon while LOTF, canon. Tag and Binks, not canon while Legacy, canon.

I've never read any post-OT because I never wanted to. Or any pre-PT. But I wanted to read the Clone Wars, so I did, and I can't remove it from the saga's continuity in my head. And I don't want to. The Dark Horse graphic novels, the Cartoon Network series, and the Del Rey novels through all of that just made the PT beyond great (not OT great, but worthy to breathe the same air, atleast). The more of it I get, the better the PT gets. So I want more. Very, very happy to see the new cartoon series coming.

My vote made it even again, at 102.

I still don't consider it canon, so it was a tough decision for half a second, but in the end, I couldn't turn by back on it.

And now that I have this oppurtunity, instead of stormtroopers, SSC, could you make these jedi first?

Fay
K'kruhk
Tholme
T'ra Saa
Quinlan Vos

But not before:

Yoda (PT)
Aayla Secura
Ki-Adi-Mundi
Shaak Ti

For starters. I would really appreciate it. It's only 8 more. They have Medicom. They can wait.

Ha. Just kidding. :stick You have my permission to make stormtroopers first.

I like a lot of it, but don't keep up with it too much. There's some really great reads out there as well as some ones that are just meh. Some good ones that come to mind:

Shadows of the Empire
Splinter of the Minds Eye (the very first EU story)
Timothy Zahn's novels
Crimson Empire
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
Purge
Dark Empire

I think Dark Empire is the most controversial. A LOT of peoplle don't like seeing their childhood hero "go bad". When in actuallity, Luke never completely turns to the darkside but is merely trying to subdue the Emperor. I thought that the Clone Emperor was a brillaint idea, and now with all the different Clone farsm after Kaino, it makex perfect sense that he'd have himself Cloned in case of an emergency. There's a few other subtle things in it as well that really stand out. Luke destroys an AT-AT using only the Force. You see Leia as a Jedi. Oh and Boba Fett turns up, having freed himself from the Sarlacc and been nursed back to health by Dengar. And boy is Fett a mess!

I wouldn't mind seeing one or two EU characters a year with pleanty of film cast to go with of course.

If we choose to only limit ourselves to facts on film then we wouldn't be able find answers to questions and know what happens to our favorite characters.

Back