Do you acknowledge the Expanded Universe?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which truth do you cling to?

• Film-only continuity

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • Film + EU continuity

Votes: 54 50.9%

• Total voters
I don't like anything from the Expanded Universe. I respect the authors and their efforts to add their take to the Star Wars saga, but it's something I never got into or ever followed up on. It's just one of many reasons why I don't acknowledge it (but it's also my best answer).

I acknowledge whatever I like, and that includes snips off the prequels, most of the OT films, and select EU from videogames (KOTOR + Kyle Katarn). And in some instances, I accept some fan-edits over the originals.

Whoa, film-only continuity has closed the gap. It's almost level pegging!

It's worth noting that Lucasfilm itself recognizes EU as part of official continuity, but The Maker doesn't read any of it and isn't bound by any of it when writing his scripts (though he does have to check if a name is already taken!)

LOTRFan said:
But this poll begs the question as to whether there is actual continuity in the films ....

PT :emperor

The one that really stood out to me was in ROTJ Luke asking Leia if she remembers her mother, and she does.... but then in ROTS we find out that Padme dies in childbirth..... Its one that I really couldn't work around.

In general I'd have to say that I prefer the EU. That said I haven't read most of the comics, have read only a few of the novels (I Jedi, The Thrawn Trilogy) and played the KOTOR and Dark Forces games. When done well it adds immensely - sometimes it gets a bit hokey but that's not just limited to the EU *cough* Jar Jar *cough*.

LordAzrael said:
The one that really stood out to me was in ROTJ Luke asking Leia if she remembers her mother, and she does.... but then in ROTS we find out that Padme dies in childbirth..... Its one that I really couldn't work around.
She might have been referring to her foster mother, who (according to EU lore!) died when she was a child. At that stage in ROTJ she hadn't yet found out Luke was her twin, so she might not have known she was adopted.

The Expanded Universe is basically everything Star Wars that isn't the movies. All the novels, games, comics, and the Clone Wars cartoons.

My only problem with the foster mother explanation is that Luke specifies "your real mother".

Well I look at it all like this: Movies = Only thing that counts, EU = Fun and entertaining, I do partake in it's existence, but in the end, don't count to me. I don't NEED all this extra junk, Lucas made a perfectly awesome Saga, and I don't want things mucking about with it's classic storytelling and mythical feel. THAT BEING SAID, EU is still super fun a lot of the time. I just chalk it up to "what if?"

Absolutely, the EU has kept my love for all things Star Wars alive. Nothing will compare to the movies, specifically the OT, but the continuing adventures of our rebel friends is something I dreamed about since I was a child. Every T. Zahn story is brilliant, From Outbound Flight all the way to the Hand of Thrawn. The way that all his stories connect is amazing and in my opinion deserves a place in canon. The NJO was an entertaining read and well worth the price of admission (all 19 books are still sitting in my SW library). I just started on Bloodlines, and will read the entire series for sure. Comics I have never gotten into but I did pick up the SW:Legacy TPB and am hoping its great.

The question stated is “Do you acknowledge the EU?” and to that I’ll say I love the EU! Is everything that comes out of it great? No, but the feeling of cracking open another SW tale always gets me excited.

Yup, ever since the old Marvel comics the EU has been filling the void between the movies for me. Now that the film saga is complete, those who reject the EU have some "dark times" ahead!

I accept the EU to a point. There are just some stories I have trouble getting behind. But I call Hammer Head Momaw Nadon.

RogueJedi30 said:
I just started on Bloodlines, and will read the entire series for sure. Comics I have never gotten into but I did pick up the SW:Legacy TPB and am hoping its great.

I just finished Sacrifice. Got it early at CIV and it was awesome. You love the series so far.

congerking said:
I just finished Sacrifice. Got it early at CIV and it was awesome. You love the series so far.
Lucky, I ordered mine through Amazon but it won't be here until Thursday. :( I'm loving the series too. I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

And oh yeah i guess i really acknowledge since my 5 year old is named Jaina.:eek: :cool:

and it's a 50 50 tie i see.

Back