Childhood's End (SyFy miniseries)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess they just didn't go the way I wanted them to go with it. I was hoping there would be more focus specifically on the overlords and their appearance, and that maybe they actually were demons/Karellen was the devil...or something...Idunno. :lol

Basically, I loved when Karellen revealed himself to be our perception of Satan, and I wasn't satisfied with how they explained/explored that.

I guess they just didn't go the way I wanted them to go with it. I was hoping there would be more focus specifically on the overlords and their appearance, and that maybe they actually were demons/Karellen was the devil...or something...Idunno. :lol

Basically, I loved when Karellen revealed himself to be our perception of Satan, and I wasn't satisfied with how they explained/explored that.

It just left me with a lot of unanswered questions, or maybe I just didn't see the answers. Certain things didn't make sense to me.

As for disturbing....those kinds of movies or shows always disturb me.

While this versions wasn't bad, book is still better with more going on with story and characters. I felt there were a lot of subtleties left out and the characters/plot line rearranged unnecessarily for TV. 6/10.

It had my interest until Karellen revealed himself. Once that happened it didn't go anywhere near where I had hoped. Not that I knew where that was, but it didn't seem to go anywhere. I know time and budget was limited but there were too many time jumps that lead to no real payoffs. I needed more time and information with I believe the name was Overmind.

While the execution might have lacked finesse, since after all it was a syfy original, I think it delivered thematically, I'm not sure what people mean by "where they wanted it to go" or their definition of "payoff". It's all pretty self explanatory if you have a sci-fi inclined imagination, it should not spoon feed anything.

I agree some characterization was lost, I did like some of the changes like making Ricky an everyday relatable man.

While the execution might have lacked finesse, since after all it was a syfy original, I think it delivered thematically, I'm not sure what people mean by "where they wanted it to go" or their definition of "payoff". It's all pretty self explanatory if you have a sci-fi inclined imagination, it should not spoon feed anything.

I agree some characterization was lost, I did like some of the changes like making Ricky an everyday relatable man.

My two biggest gripes:

10 years isn't nearly enough time for humanity to "domesticate" themselves to be mentally prepared for a formal introduction with the Overlords. Waiting 2+ generations (as in the book) to me, still makes more sense along with how life changes on the planet.

Karellen get shotgunned in a barn was laughable.

Yeah it's way shorter, I think it was 15 years not 10, but I can suspend my disbelief of that.

I agree, the whole thing with Ricky getting the disease is just weird and served no purpose, it put a stain on K friendship with Ricky.

I think the flaws it has are pretty trivial though, the book is pretty cold character-wise and they tried to give the show more human drama, I can see why, I just didn't particularly care for it. They could've trimmed all that, but people would've complained it wasn't very relatable or something like that.

Well, not all Arthur C. Clark stuff can be adapted by Kubrick, but this one delivered just fine imo.

Back