CornerStoreComics and Credit Card Exposure.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The same thing happened with me. About a week and a half ago I got the $1.00 itunes charge and immediately looked it up on the internet. I found a website where other people were reporting the scam that started with the fake $1.00 itunes charge. I had to cancel my debit card and am still waiting for my new one to come in.

I don't think it's right to charge people the 15% cancellation fee if they decide to cancel their pre-orders after this fiasco. I think I'm done dealing with Cornerstorecomics.

Well, if you cancel your credit card and you don't give them a new one, they won't have anything to charge. :monkey3

I'm still keeping my orders through them though. Their credit card handler got hacked, not them. It is just they are one of the clients of the handler that got hacked. And since there isn't any other collectible company that was part of the hacked list, we're jumping to conclusions. I haven't had any problems with CSC before this and this thing really wasn't their fault.

I ordered lost and She predator during the 20% off sale on 3/9. Just check my AmEx statement and nothing strange yet.

I really hope nothing happens either because I just had to cancel my Visa card for a fraud alert (which may or may not be related to CSC), this would leave me with no credit.

I had my AMEX to backup the MC so I was okay, but if I was in your situation I would be hesitant as well as to be left for 7-10 days with no credit, should an occassion arise where you really need it.

Well, if you cancel your credit card and you don't give them a new one, they won't have anything to charge. :monkey3

I'm still keeping my orders through them though. Their credit card handler got hacked, not them. It is just they are one of the clients of the handler that got hacked. And since there isn't any other collectible company that was part of the hacked list, we're jumping to conclusions. I haven't had any problems with CSC before this and this thing really wasn't their fault.

Yeah, I know. I just feel that cautious collectors that want to cancel their pre-orders should have that option without penalty. I know that it wasn't CSC's fault directly. However, in the business world, the company that sells directly to the customer is the one that usually has to deal with the problems and issues that effect said customer base.

Luckily I don't have anything on pre-order with them anyhow. I go through Mista305 for pretty much all of my Hot Toys figures (the bulk of my collection) anyway.

Another victim here: my bank called me to give me a heads-up about unauthorized charges today. One single charge exceeded my credit limit so that was a red flag (greedy, soulless hacker). I don't know if it's related to this, but I did preorder from CSC back in January. I'll keep the order but will switch it to Pay Pal (or money order).

This completely sucks all around.

I've just had my card blocked and cancelled too because I was hit, I ordered a Hot Toys Joker from Cornerstorecomics last month.
Sure it sucks but I'm glad to know how it happened, I can stop acting paranoid now everytime I use my card. :duh

i know when i had my credit card number stolen one of the first things i did was call the places where the charges took place. they didn't even use my name or email address so they had a name and an email address to after because i called and talked to them so if these charges are appearing i'd definently call the stores and see what you can find out since it was your card that was used the privacy stuff shouldn't apply to you. now if it is like what happened to me it was a fake name and all but if they are having stuff shipped to themselves and a patern emerges i would think they could be caught.

if you go to the thread on fwoosh thomas is asking you to forward any info you find out to him.

i hope they check the person or persons

My order was processed and shipped and I still haven't seen any random charges yet, so I'm good so far.

:banghead

I had placed a few orders with them in the past and one recent one to take advantage of the 20% order. Only after that did I see the posts about them being hacked. So I checked my statements all week and today I recieved a preauthorization charge of 1.00 from hostway.com...

Needless to say I have immediately cancelled my card and had a new number issued to replace it.

This is so aggravating

I was using a debit card for them and firefox as my browser. Hope that info helps you out a little.

Funny...I've heard nothing from CSC regarding this security breach. It would have been nice to get something from the vendor. Thank God for this forum.

I did indeed have false charges on my card. Huge thanks to the original poster for the heads-up!

Damn...
I was hit twice in the last 8 months, but as I use a bunch of different online vendors I could never trace it back to one specific case.
Both times it was my Mastercard.
I changed all online shopping to my Visa, but now I've had to cancel it as well since that was the one I put for a pre-order at CSC within the time-frame they are stating the breach happened.
What is clear is that the breach must have been ongoing, since the first time this happened to me was around July last year and then January this year.
Anyway, not taking any chances, so the Visa is now cancelled as well. Damn I hate this crap! Now I have to go and change all the info on my pre-orders all over the place again!

Question: should I just use paypal from now on? Is it really safer?

Paypal can be a little safer, but it's entirely possible to get scammed on Paypal as well, and depending on your funding method, you'll have less chance of recovering your money. Whereas with a credit card, you go through a little hassle, but you should always be able to recover your money.

Paypal is a garbage company (it doesn't take long to find MANY complaints about them) so switching over all your funding to them isn't really a good idea.

Well fellas, keep checking on your cards. I just got hit within the past hour. I hope whoever did this roasts in the deepest parts of HE!!.....:banghead

CSC could get themselves in lots of legal hot water if they said anything that could infer their processor has been hacked in advance of that company having time to research and identify the problem. Back in February a major processing company was hacked, and Visa and MC came out and talked about it, but who that processor is has never even been revealed.

This is certainly a mess all the way around, and I feel for everyone stuck in it. One of the iTunes charges came through on my card early this week, so I cancelled it and am still waiting on my new card. Hopefully none of my Sideshow pre-orders are getting charged this week!

yeah even though i used pay pal for my purchase from them over the weekend i keep checking my accounts if it was a big processor it could affect people who didn't use it at csc as well.

on fwoosh he said that he hopes to be able to send a letter out explaining everything by monday. right now it seems like he is waiting for the legal go ahead from the processing company to make sure there isn't anything in it that he could be sued over.

What's the deal with the Itunes charges? I haven't noticed anything unusual, but I'd probably just gloss over an Itunes charge.

I have pre-ordered from CSC and might be at risk.

What's the deal with the Itunes charges? I haven't noticed anything unusual, but I'd probably just gloss over an Itunes charge.

I have pre-ordered from CSC and might be at risk.

Dave,

The Itunes charge is a test charge. The hackers usually send one through that will not raise suspicions to "test" the card to make sure it is valid. Once they have done that once or twice, they will try to hit it for a large purchase. The charge on mine was for $139 bucks to some holding company 2CO.COM*Holding and then a $1500 charge to some company in Dubai...the last one got declined but they were successful with the $139 charge. My bank is trying to reverse that one but they said it may have gone through already. So I am out of the $139 dollars until they reimburse me for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back