HCG 1:1 Scale Lothlorien Bow of Legolas

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. Ive heard of another soldier in Iraq crafting functional Legolas bows as a hobby. I'm curious how they match up to a molded from screen used prop bow.

Ive been wanting one of these forever, not sure how accurate it is , need to see screen shots, i seem to recall it was colored waaaay differently and lighter...(aside: why is the default price for most sabers/blasters/guns usually around 300-500-can they NOT make more affordable versions)?

Ive been wanting one of these forever, not sure how accurate it is , need to see screen shots, i seem to recall it was colored waaaay differently and lighter...(aside: why is the default price for most sabers/blasters/guns usually around 300-500-can they NOT make more affordable versions)?

Unfortunately in this day & age that's the price extreme collectors have to pay for high-end movie props & collectables, it's the norm now:(

I like the detail on this where they have Galadriel's hair as part of the bowstring. That itself sold me on this. I wonder how this compares to the Mirkwood Bow that's been available for a while now. Would be nice to see this at SDCC if possible.

1120916911903.gif

Finally arrived! :panic: :blissy

Got it for $290 from a fellow collector who was having a "quitting sale". :D

At first, I assumed he opened it already cause of the low price,
but when he was handing them to me everything seems brand new.

Well, except for the box of the plaque, which he admitted he had opened for
inspection when I asked if everything was mint.

HCGBL_01.jpg

Wasn't it supposed to be 'Bloom' ?? :monkey3 :lol

HCGBL_02.jpg

I'll take more pics tomorrow once I get to opening it and finding the perfect spot for hanging.
So excited! :rock

Finally got around to opening this wonderful display piece! Whoot!

It comes in two big boxes as you can see here. The one for the plaque is surprisingly heavier than the one for the bow.
LothlorienBow_1.jpg

Opening the plaque box, you’ll see the instruction sheet for wall mounting. It’s kinda helpful since putting the bow on the plaque hooks isn’t common sense.
LothlorienBow_02.jpg

LothlorienBow_03.jpg

The plaque is well encased in four pieces of styro. (Well five cause I got a bit excited taking it out).
LothlorienBow_04.jpg

The plaque is heavy and it really seemed like it was chopped of a trunk. I’ve read somewhere before that the plaque is resin, but if someone told me it’s real wood, I’d believe it. It has quite a weight to it.
LothlorienBow_05.jpg

LothlorienBow_06.jpg

LothlorienBow_07.jpg

LothlorienBow_10.jpg

The back of the plaque has a nice black felt lining, and I kinda like how the white printed labels offset the dark background.
LothlorienBow_08.jpg

LothlorienBow_09.jpg

Now onto the bow~

Opening the bow’s box gets you to another box with colored labels. The front label has a nice action shot of our favorite elf-prince, and the back showcases the prop.

LothlorienBow_11.jpg

LothlorienBow_12.jpg

LothlorienBow_13.jpg

LothlorienBow_14.jpg

You’ll see that the bow inside is cased in a puzzle of foam, tissue rolls and twisty-ties. It was really an effort getting rid of all the fasteners, while taking care of the bow to prevent scratches.

LothlorienBow_15.jpg

Here is a seemingly misplaced ‘fragile’ sticker. Lol.

LothlorienBow_16.jpg

LothlorienBow_17.jpg

LothlorienBow_18.jpg

The first thing I noticed once I liberated the bow from the packaging was its dark color. It wasn’t much of a surprise as I’ve seen other people’s pics. However, it’s definitely darker than how I remember it from the movies.

LothlorienBow_19.jpg

LothlorienBow_20.jpg

With that being said, one interesting thing about this bow is how it changes hue depending on the lighting. I think that post-production editing on the film could have led to the bright hue of Legolas’s Lothlorien bow. Although, I would have still preferred it if this replica was given a lighter color.

LothlorienBow_21.jpg

LothlorienBow_22.jpg

LothlorienBow_23.jpg

I tried playing with the camera settings a bit and I was able to achieve a more desirable hue.

LothlorienBow_24.jpg

LothlorienBow_25.jpg

The detailing on the bow was done right. Having seen tons of pictures of Legolas and his bows throughout the years, I think that the details are spot on. One tiny complaint however is that they could have made the sculpting more crisp and defined. It’s not really much of a deal-breaker – I don’t think a casual fan would notice - but could have been better.

LothlorienBow_26.jpg

LothlorienBow_27.jpg

LothlorienBow_28.jpg

Last edited:
All in all, it’s a very pretty prop replica, which will surely be a good conversation piece. The bow itself has a good weight too despite being cast in resin.

LothlorienBow_29.jpg

LothlorienBow_30.jpg

LothlorienBow_31.jpg

LothlorienBow_32.jpg

I tried [kids, don’t try this on your collectible!] to pull the string a bit, and the bow flexed safely until I pulled the string to my elbow. I didn’t go further than that as I can already feel great tension building up on the bow.

Here’s a quick comparison pic:

LothlorienBow_33.jpg

It now hangs nicely on my wall, flanked by two lightsabers. Don’t mind those SW PT posters. They’re about to be replaced. HAHA!

LothlorienBow_34.jpg

LothlorienBow_35.jpg

LothlorienBow_36.jpg

LothlorienBow_37.jpg

Just to put some closing remarks.. I really love this prop replica. It’s something that I don’t see myself selling in the future. It’s really a grail piece for me, being a Legolas fan since high school (altough the movies were shown when I was in primary school). I think this replica really does justice to the actual prop despite the variation in color. The movie prop seemed to have a dark hue in some scenes anyway, so it doesn’t bug me that much. Woohoo!

Thanks, and I hope this review was entertaining enough. I’ll also try taking new pics with sunlight. All of my shots here were taken at night. Sorry about that!

:duff

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and review SixthScaleEdward :hi5:

The Lothlorien Bow sure is a great piece...one I hope to pick up myself, one day. :rock

Congrats, I know you will enjoy it for may a year. :)

Cool. Ive heard of another soldier in Iraq crafting functional Legolas bows as a hobby. I'm curious how they match up to a molded from screen used prop bow.

I gotta say even though it would probably never happen its always fun to fantasize about pulling a prop sword or bow off your display and defending your home with it lol.

tried a few times
hadafang whilst looks brilliant is very badly weighted and d oes not swing or handle well.
legolas daggers - whilst a shorter version of the elf sword these handle quite well but are better suited to double handed combat.
legolas bow - not tested breaking strain so would be ok for cosplay but really just a show piece lol.
sting is finely crafted and brilliant for side swipes and single handed combat.
gandalf grey staff is much better than the white staff as the white staff is split in the middle lol...
probably be alot easier just to sit Down behind the high elf shield lol

Back