Mattel: DC Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's like a conspiracy; first Mattel announces they will do 6" DC figs just a Hasbro is taking the reigns from Toybiz, then just a you thought there'd be a hard fought battle in the aisles for the 1/12th super hero dollars, Hasbro just.... quits. Ffwd a few years; Hasbro sees dollars in this scale again and announces it will throw it's hat back in the ring to regain it's forfeited title and.....Mattel announces it will voluntarily end it's offering to give the fans...something they didn't ask for. Wtf? It all is so bass ackwards.

:lecture Sums up my feelings perfectly. I have no interest in the DCnU figures, the only thing that could have pulled me in was if they had kept the C&C concept with occasional classic offerings. I will cherry pick the classic figures from the line, but so far none of them are "must-haves". While I'll miss picking up whole sets of classic characters, the change probably comes at the perfect time, just as Marvel Legends are returning.

Agreed!!!:exactly: Cherry pick time, N YES Marvel Legends baby!!!

It's like a conspiracy; first Mattel announces they will do 6" DC figs just a Hasbro is taking the reigns from Toybiz, then just a you thought there'd be a hard fought battle in the aisles for the 1/12th super hero dollars, Hasbro just.... quits. Ffwd a few years; Hasbro sees dollars in this scale again and announces it will throw it's hat back in the ring to regain it's forfeited title and.....Mattel announces it will voluntarily end it's offering to give the fans...something they didn't ask for. Wtf? It all is so bass ackwards.

Supposedly it is like a conspiracy, just not one involving Hasbro. The rumor is (and has been since SDCC) that DC gave Mattel little notice about the whole reboot thing and told them to put out a different range of characters (recent looks/characters and more big names) in the stores ASAFP as part of the license renewal terms.

Yeah I was being a bit tongue-n-cheek. I was there when the whole thing went down and that silly gal Danielle was on the stage crashing and burning. I'm simply really saying is that as soon as it seems we are gonna get both in spades, something happens to pull the rug out.
Btw, I don't buy that Mattel didn't know until scant few hours before they announced it. that's total BS. "one year to make a toy", right? "Logistically" how can any of these be slated before July if that were the case?

Last edited:
EXACTLY!!! Both things can't be true at the same time! Either you knew and just decided to announce it at what seemed like the right venue, although, I can't see how anyone would hold a panel to let the adoring fans know the line they've supported for several years is effectively getting cancelled. That's like the TV promoters going all the way to SDCC to address the fans just to tell em Eureka, True Blood or Dr. Who is getting cancelled...o_O Or it takes MUCH less than a year to develop any one figure or series of figures.

This was just another Mattel-ism that comes from those MBA big brains that are obviously dumber than their credentials would indicate. It's like they are a bunch of educated idiots...book smart but no common sense?!?!

The thing is in this case I think DC probably was the problem, there were writers who had no idea their books were being cancelled until shortly before the public knew. The re-launch was kept very secret only the staff that was actually involved with it likely knew. retailers initially were not happy because they only had the standard 3 month solicitation notice (maybe a bit more) from when DC announced it to figure out how to order. So yes Mattel probably only found out shortly before the public and were then told they had to change the way they were doing things. I think it was a dumb idea, DC should have let Mattel do their thing and just asked for some tie in to the new re-launch.

Got my notice today BBTS has wave 20 in finally. Here's hoping for a scythe! But I'm not very hopeful. I'll be contacting Mattel though just to hear what their excuse it :lol

The thing is in this case I think DC probably was the problem, there were writers who had no idea their books were being cancelled until shortly before the public knew. The re-launch was kept very secret only the staff that was actually involved with it likely knew. retailers initially were not happy because they only had the standard 3 month solicitation notice (maybe a bit more) from when DC announced it to figure out how to order. So yes Mattel probably only found out shortly before the public and were then told they had to change the way they were doing things. I think it was a dumb idea, DC should have let Mattel do their thing and just asked for some tie in to the new re-launch.

That dog dont hunt, dude. The two scenarios cant exist together: Either it takes LESS than a year to make a line of figures, or Mattel knew before hand. It cant take a year AND they just got notice, BUT the figures will be out before July 2012! Believe what you will, but that's just plain logic there. :cuckoo: Someone's lying...my money is on the big M!
The other thing is this: If this was SO secretive and what not, why are we not seeing this change across ALL merchandising? Even all of Mattel's stuff is not going to this. Its just all those little things that makes you say Hmmmmm, something stinks in Denmark!

Got my notice today BBTS has wave 20 in finally. Here's hoping for a scythe! But I'm not very hopeful. I'll be contacting Mattel though just to hear what their excuse it :lol

Cool! C'mon EE! Usually a day or so behind.
Anyone heard from Enchanted or Cornerstore?

Hell yes found a crime syndicate 5 pack on clearance at walmart!!! Now im backtracking guys i left off on wave 11 b4 i had to take a leave of absence in collecting, but im back. Heres hoping my buddy can come through with waves 12-16

Got my notice as well. I only ordered Hawk and Dove from the wave, but I'm very excited to get them. Looks like they might outshine DC Direct's versions.

I got my figures a month ago and unless they included it in later shipments, I can tell you Nekron doesn't include his scythe. However, I've been displaying mine with the DC Direct Nekron's scythe which looks good with him.

500x_titan-club_01-400x400.jpg

Release the rest of the classic Titans or suck it, Mattel.

Entertainment Earth just got in Wave 20. WooHoo!
They have some NM figures for $12.76 too, but GA is gone.

And a re-do on Kid Flash :lecture

Can't believe neither DCD or Mattel has made a decent Titans lineup. I for one always wanted a great New Teen Titans set, but between Mattel jumping across all different eras for those heroes and DCD jumping across all different styles, a proper team seems like it will never happen.

I got my figures a month ago and unless they included it in later shipments, I can tell you Nekron doesn't include his scythe. However, I've been displaying mine with the DC Direct Nekron's scythe which looks good with him.

You... You're kidding me. You're just friggin' kidding me. They actually pulled it. Mattel never ceases to amaze me...

Like, WHAT!? Which figure includes the DISPLAY BASE instead of the BLADE OF INFINITE DEATHS?!!?!:gah::monkey4:(:thud::impatient::monkey1

Got my set yesterday from BBTS along with Batman Legacy 1st appearance Batman and Catwoman. No Glaring QC problems (no stuck joints, but Nekron needed a hot water bath to unwarp both legs), save for sloppy paint on Catwoman's chest.

It's bittersweet having the last final wave of DCUC. Standout of the wave for me has to be Reverse Flash, followed closely by Sinestro (finally having an official SC Thaal is great, even if it is a lazy repaint) and Red Arrow. And it's a shame they left out Nekron's scythe, because 4H pulled out all the stops.

Matty went all out for a full on Legion set, I definitely think a proper Teen Titans set is in order.

They have about three eras to cover for (finishing) Teen Titans.

If they were going to do a full Titans set for finishing the mixed era of Titans we have now, I'd want to see Connor Kent in his T-shirt and jeans, a modern version of Raven, Cassie Wondergirl, Mia Dearden, Bart Allen, Ravager, Beast Boy in red and white, Aqualad, Roy Harper Speedy, Terra, Jericho, and a classic version of Starfire. Disco Nightwing and Donna in the black "starfield" outfit would work, too.

Last edited:
Back