RAH Freddie Mercury

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this has turned out to be a sad state of affairs.

A while ago there was excitement that Sideshow were doing a 'Legendary Musicians' line. That heading has slipped off their main page, practically unnoticed. Medicom is the last hope for 1/6 figures of musicians. They have started out with some fairly big guns, and mostly it has been criticism. These figures sell out, so there has to be some sort of fan base, but here on the Freak board it is like Medicom and Tonner are one. If Medicom can't do Jagger or Mercury justice, how will they do Hendrix or Bowie? It will be some sort of crime.

Even though we would rather Hot Toys do musicians, even if they did I fear they would flop, with the exception of the Hendrix and Bowie figures. Apart from those two I see the rest, figures like Peter Gabriel, Zappa, and other flamboyant personalities, being rather niche markets and not profitable to the companies that might choose to make them.

I think Medicom usually only makes a figure they know they can sell. And you get the musician fans and of course the Medicom fans to help sell them out.

I think this Mercury looks excellent - Freddie's features were already a natural caricature, so the exaggerated look is appropriate whereas on Mick it's a little too much. But they're moving in the right direction. I doubt we'll be seeing Elvis or KISS in 1/6 though.

Freddie Mercury, in my opinion is in the top 3 greatest lead singers of all time. When it comes to just plain male vocalists Freddie is at the top. Freddie had a powerful voice that was recognizable and stood alone.
Just listen to Under Pressure, not only does Freddie hit some of the highest notes in Rock history but David Bowie is outshined by this upstart from South Africa.

When it comes to Queen themselves, all you need to know is that in 1985 when artists from all genres came together to perform for Live Aid, the act that stole the show was Queen. After Live Aid, if you said Queen was the greatest band in the world, anyone would be hard pressed to disagree.

Queen influenced every genre, Another One Bites The Dust, written by Queen Bass player John Deacon and one of Queen's most successful singels, hit number one in the Pop, Rock, Reggae and R&B catergories.

I think Freddie being gay was part of his charm. Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, Prince and Bowie are flamboyant but they all take a back seat to Freddie when it comes to shear energy and stage presence.

Franz Ferdinand lead singer Alex Kapranos names Freddie Mercury and Queen as his biggest influence in music. There will be no one ever in this world like Freddie Mercury and Queen.

I am off my high horse now. God save Queen.

Bah! I'd take Chris Cornell in his prime over Mercury ANY day. Heck, I'd even take Geoff Tate over Fab Freddie. But that's just me.

Ooh! Franz Ferdinand!! Now A-ha, that might be impressive. But Franz Ferdinand?

I doubt we'll be seeing Elvis or KISS in 1/6 though.

Not to worry, Toy Presidents have already made it happen :monkey2:rotfl

%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CTL10836lg.jpg

Whats sad is their first figure, of W was really well made, but then every release after has been crap?!?

BBi made a great Aviator Dubya, but I thought all the Toy Presidents stuff was about on the par with Ken. And there's actually a couple of excellent Elvis Kens.

Nope, strangely the first release had a really well done head sculpt. Not necessarily Sideshow or HT quality, but not cartoony looking. The basebody is so-so. But clothes, sculpt and even the talking feature were quite nice. I was hoping all of the figures would turn out as well... but every release since has been terrible... on par with Elvis there.

Hmmm, I see what Dave is saying that some people would make boring figures, the people who just look like normal people mainly. However I think if someone made your (meaning anyone) favorite artist then it's just exciting no matter how boring it looks. For example I'm a huge Springsteen fan, if they made him I'd buy it without even thinking or looking at the price. I'm not claiming he would make an awesome figure though. But since I'm on the topic here is other musicians I'd love to buy.

Axl Rose
Lemmy
Tom Petty
Neil Young
Rob Halford
Dee Snider

Bah! I'd take Chris Cornell in his prime over Mercury ANY day. Heck, I'd even take Geoff Tate over Fab Freddie. But that's just me.

Ooh! Franz Ferdinand!! Now A-ha, that might be impressive. But Franz Ferdinand?

Hey, I loved the 80's, too. Queen was pretty big in the 80's.

Sideshow still has the "Musicians" line listed -- they just dropped the word "Legendary." I ain't gonna touch that one, I'll leave it to others.

As for the attention they lavish on this line, Medicom ought to thwack 'em with a rolled-up newspaper. Take a look at the Jagger listing. Says it comes with:

The acclaimed 12" male RAH (Real Action Hero) body
Soft vinyl portrait
Microphone complete w/ stand
Detailed stage-ready costume, including:
'God Save the Queen' t-shirt
Leather pants
Studded belt
Boots

Somebody's bein' lazy while building web listings....

I'm stoked. Freddie Mercury is one of the most AWESOME front men ever. His vocal range slays, he's dynamic and rules the stage. He's a showman on all sides. Dude rules. You can't deny it, even if you don't dig the music.

I'm getting this cause' I'll always be a die-hard Queen fan, I hope they do some dif. versions of him through the years too.

I don't like any of the Medicom musicians series up till now. Not the toys, just the artists. I'm not a big enough Stones or Pistols fan to want toys of them.

Iggy next please! Stooges era.:D Or Dee Dee Ramone (I know Joey was the icon, but Dee Dee was the heart!) OR LEMMY!!!!!

I won't be getting this since I have the Neca version which is pretty good but suffice it to say, I am a huge Queen/Freddie Mercury fan. I saw Queen with Paul Rodgers last year but was disappointed when I found out John Deacon wasn't involved. However, it was still pretty good and the best I could hope for. Unfortunately the last time (1982) Queen played in concert anywhere close, I was still under 15 years old and unable to attend since I wasn't yet self sufficient.

No, I'm pretty sure its Alice In Chains :)

B000002BM5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Probably the greatest group to come out of the 90's IMO. Simply incredible. And really, no one should have to argue how amazing Freddy was. Either people know or they don't know. And for those who don't know, well it's unfortunate.

Back