Sears oil change gone terribly wrong!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The car ran like a top for the first 5 years, then it would lose power and try and stall out. I was pretty much told by the dealership that it was all in my head. Finally it wouldn't run at all and had to be towed into a garage who supposedly fixed it only to have the whole thing start over again. So I took it to another garage. They had it for a whole month replacing parts. Go to drive it home and I could barely get it to up an underpass. Took it back and got it back in a week. It started the same **** about a week later. Took it back once again to the dealership and once again they just kept replacing parts. Well, it ran pretty good so I took it out of town and had new tires put on it. On the way home my check engine light came on. Went out about 2 hours later and it wouldn't start. Brother looked at it and he tested the battery and replaced it. It started up. Problem solved. Well, not for long. Now I can start it up, but.......if I drive it anywhere and turn it off, it won't restart. So I don't take it anywhere and it's sits. I just go out and start it up for awhile to keep the battery charged. I just want to get it running enough so I can get rid of the piece of crap. Everything that is suggested to me has been done. I'm betting I pretty much have a whole new engine in it because most of it has been replaced.

I have a PT and had the same issue. I changed the gas pump, and that did it. Odd, because the computer would not read the pump as working properly.

I have a PT and had the same issue. I changed the gas pump, and that did it. Odd, because the computer would not read the pump as working properly.

With the amount of people who have seen this car, I would think they would've come up with that. Maybe they did. At this point I have no idea what all has been replaced in it.

she is selling the car as is. it's black and the paint and interior look very good. it needs an engine though. all the symptoms you mentioned is what she had. they obviously had a bad run with something inferior because too many people have the same problem. maybe it's time to put a kick *** engine in it. for a few grand, you can get it back on the road.

ALL PT Cruisers need an engine. :) That put put will barely get out of it's own way. If it had a HEMI, that would be a great car.

ALL PT Cruisers need an engine. :) That put put will barely get out of it's own way. If it had a HEMI, that would be a great car.

It's a 4 cylinder pop corn popper as my dad would call it. But.....cars are very expensive and those are about all I can afford.

The dealer just called me and said that the adjuster for sears came out today and said that they agree with them, that the wrong oil filter was installed on the vehicle.

So at least the ball is rolling my favor now. Lets see where this takes us?

I've seen one locally at a car show...someone stuffed a 5.7 Hemi in a PT Cruiser. I recall the owners claimed something like $30k worth of custom work done to the vehicle, although it's been a long time since I talked to them and not sure on that.

Personally, I can't ever see investing that kind of money in something like a PT Cruiser.

Edit: Yup, here it is:

05PTCruiserHEMI02.jpg

05PTCruiserHEMI04.jpg

a hemi in a Cruiser? :lol They must really love that car. Personally, I always thought it was ugly. I've had my oil changed at the same place for 8-9 years now, I guess I've been lucky. Can't believe some of you are crazy enough to take your car to a freakin Walmart though :horror

I've seen one locally at a car show...someone stuffed a 5.7 Hemi in a PT Cruiser. I recall the owners claimed something like $30k worth of custom work done to the vehicle, although it's been a long time since I talked to them and not sure on that.

Personally, I can't ever see investing that kind of money in something like a PT Cruiser.

Edit: Yup, here it is:

05PTCruiserHEMI02.jpg

05PTCruiserHEMI04.jpg

Thank you very much for the pics. That car needs a horizontal slat grille, though. Perhaps chrome or silver. It would be really add class.

a hemi in a Cruiser? :lol They must really love that car. Personally, I always thought it was ugly. I've had my oil changed at the same place for 8-9 years now, I guess I've been lucky. Can't believe some of you are crazy enough to take your car to a freakin Walmart though :horror

I liked it because it was retro. Kinda looked like one of the cars my dad owned when he was younger.

I have had only one problem with oil changes from places like that. I drove 2-3 miles down the road and heard a clunk under car and then lil smoke. Pulled off and the oil pan emptied on to the ground. I looked no drain plug.

Your lucky they could determine it was a wrong oil filter if not 3 weeks later you would have a tough case to prove IMO. A lot of things can be run over kicked up ect in 3 weeks.

Used to change my own oil all the time but the shop down the street has done it now for 10 years. Its like $10 more than when I was buying it all myself. Plus they do a 30 point inspection. Not all mom and pops shops are bad, just have to find a good one.

Glad you are getting this resolved Chaver.

Back