Sears oil change gone terribly wrong!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Chaver

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I took my wife's new Mazda 3 Skyactive to get an oil change at Sears, three weeks later the oil filter fell off when she was driving home from work early morning. We didn't even know what the problem was, my wife did notice the oil light go on right after the car was making some seriously loud noises. Once we got it over to the to the dealership they told us right away after they got it up on the rack that the engine had oil all over it. As soon as they started it up it up they turned right off and checked the oil pan. Right when they took down the steel shield that guards the oil filter the oil filter came rolling out. They did a diagnostic and found major damage to the engine.

I called Sears and told them about this major **** up and gave them number to the dealership. They called me back and said they spoke with the dealership and the then gave me the number to their insurance company. I called and it's day 2 of waiting for a agent to pick up our case.

Bottom line is - The guy at the dealer said he's never heard of anyone rebuilding one of the new types of engines and that it will most likely have to be replaced. I will only settle for a brand new engine, or a brand new car. Will they pay?

I took my wife's new Mazda 3 Skyactive to get an oil change at Sears, three weeks later the oil filter fell off when she was driving home from work early morning. We didn't even know what the problem was, my wife did notice the oil light go on right after the car was making some seriously loud noises. Once we got it over to the to the dealership they told us right away after they got it up on the rack that the engine had oil all over it. As soon as they started it up it up they turned right off and checked the oil pan. Right when they took down the steel shield that guards the oil filter the oil filter came rolling out. They did a diagnostic and found major damage to the engine.

I called Sears and told them about this major **** up and gave them number to the dealership. They called me back and said they spoke with the dealership and the then gave me the number to their insurance company. I called and it's day 2 of waiting for a agent to pick up our case.

Bottom line is - The guy at the dealer said he's never heard of anyone rebuilding one of the new types of engines and that it will most likely have to be replaced. I will only settle for a brand new engine, or a brand new car. Will they pay?

Dammmmmmn :horror

A big Multi Billion dollar company like Sears will pay . Don't you worry too much.

You will get a new car or a new engine , that's a lawsuit reguardless

I'd read the sears oil change statement sheet, you might not like the fine print. Good luck.

i'm not surprised. wal-mart did an oil change on my beloved mitsubishi truck, then must have started it with no oil. 2 days later it began to smoke. they cracked the head. they denied liability and after $750 of engine work, the truck got fixed but it never ran the same. if you value your heavy investment that never gives a return, you'll probably want to only let someone work on your car that you absolutely trust.

Just 2 weeks ago I was driving and suddenly encountered what turned out to be the drive shaft belonging to a Waste Management truck in the middle of the road. At the speed I was going I had little choice but to run over it. Turns out it cracked my transmission casing and I need a new tranny. (Thats what she said).

Anyway, because of the excessive cost, I am going through my insurance company and they'll go after Waste Management with their dogs.

It really sucks for you because I doubt your insurance company will do much as it wasn't an on the road issue. Good luck to you though. I'm sure Sears will deny it was their fault.

Personally, for the extra few bucks I always take my cars to the dealer for oil changes and the like.

Just 2 weeks ago I was driving and suddenly encountered what turned out to be the drive shaft belonging to a Waste Management truck in the middle of the road. At the speed I was going I had little choice but to run over it. Turns out it cracked my transmission casing and I need a new tranny. (Thats what she said).

Anyway, because of the excessive cost, I am going through my insurance company and they'll go after Waste Management with their dogs.

It really sucks for you because I doubt your insurance company will do much as it wasn't an on the road issue. Good luck to you though. I'm sure Sears will deny it was their fault.

Personally, for the extra few bucks I always take my cars to the dealer for oil changes and the like.

Same here.

I never take my car to where kids or $10 an hour employees work. Jiffy Lube, Walmart, Sears all in the same.

There Sears insurance wont do anything unless they are forced by a lawyer or your insurance chasing them.

I never take my car to where kids or $10 an hour employees work. Jiffy Lube, Walmart, Sears all in the same.

There Sears insurance wont do anything unless they are forced by a lawyer or your insurance chasing them.

That is my plan. No need for my insurance to get involved though. I got $6000 for my $5000 car that was rear ended with out my insurance moving a finger or a lawyer.

Just need a lawyer for this one. Getting one Monday.

You took your wife's "new" car to Sears? That seems nuts to me. I hope it works out though. Next time take any new car to the dealership IMO. Most good dealerships will give you several free oil changes and services. It just isn't worth it to me to try to save couple bucks by taking it to a discount place.

Seriously good luck.

Our dealership is not very close by. Sears was right down the street so that is why we went there. We thought "hey, it's just an oil change, what can go wrong there?" Seems a lot can go wrong very badly and in a very short period of time..

We will never go anywhere besides the dealership from now on though.

The dealership already told us upon inspecting our vehicle that they have seen these types of issues before and that we can get a new engine out of this.

Sometimes dealerships have $10 an hour people working for them as well.

My PT has been sitting in my driveway for so long that spiders have made webs from the driveway to the tires. I can't find anyone who can fix the piece of ****. I've had it to so many Chrysler dealers and garages. I'm not putting anymore money into it. Trouble is, can't sell it if it doesn't run. The car is now 10 years old and I bet I haven't driven it for a total of 6.

My PT has been sitting in my driveway for so long that spiders have made webs from the driveway to the tires. I can't find anyone who can fix the piece of ****. I've had it to so many Chrysler dealers and garages. I'm not putting anymore money into it. Trouble is, can't sell it if it doesn't run. The car is now 10 years old and I bet I haven't driven it for a total of 6.

Car dealerships don't hire teenagers or un trained people. As far as I know bmw hires people that went to school for being a tech or six years experience.

Damn! It sounds like you'll be taken care of, but it's such a hassle to have to go through this process. I mean, the time you spend doing this, you'll never be able to get back. Sorry to hear.

Probably too late now but you should check into lemon laws. What is it doing by the way?

Its hard to believe that people can screw up a procedure as insanely easy as changing oil. Hell, I don't know a thing about cars and even I change my own oil.

Back