VikkiTX Seamstress Fabric of Time & Space

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dinosaur02.jpg

Some better pictures of my version of the Third Doctor's outfit from "The Dinosaur Invasion." I added the darker blue edging on the ruffles on the shirt front and cuffs, using fabric paint.

Dinosaur07.jpg

I used scotch tape to keep my line mostly straight - just like using tape when you paint the house or a model. Except the paint soaked into the fabric here and there anyway. Luckily most of those crooked bits were hidden when I gathered the ruffles.

Dinosaur05.jpg

The trousers have a satin band along the side seam, and functional pockets.

More pictures and info on my website's Doctor Who: Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) page.

That is awesome Vikki !!!
You have done the gentleman proud !

Get him to Metabilis 3 :)

Vikki x long time no speak, just wanted to say hi and congratulations on all your pertwee finery! the pics look awesome he really comes alive in 70s colour! the powder blue smoking jacket is... smokin!
Gx

A couple of quick pics of the new fabric I found at JoAnn's (using a temporary head until I get the one InkedDalek made painted). Still not a 100% match for the Doctor's vest, but a heckuva lot closer than what I had before. Folks could use the fabric marker technique BillyB described to add some touches of red if they wanted.
proto4.jpg
4dr96.jpg
proto2.jpg

Getting plaids to line up properly over both halves of a garment is such a joy. :banghead But so worth that extra time and attention to get the garment to look right instead of sloppy.

I still have to work on some buttons for the vests. We'll see how my attempts to make buttons from scratch works out!

Not bad fabric. Maybe you could darken the vertical stripes. Great work as usual.

Insane quality Vikki. I have no idea how you can do such fine work. Hands of a surgeon/eyes of an artist. Always impressive! Humbles me. Especially after getting the Pertwee overcoat. Still shocked & amazed at the quality.

Cheers

Insane quality Vikki. I have no idea how you can do such fine work. Hands of a surgeon/eyes of an artist. Always impressive! Humbles me. Especially after getting the Pertwee overcoat. Still shocked & amazed at the quality.

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words! I set one of the vests aside for you, for after we finish our current batch of trades.

I'm looking forward to pics of your Pertwee in his new finery!

Vikki

vashtanerada2.jpg

In the tradition of quick and easy customs, the world's easiest-to-make Vashta Nerada.

I popped the head off the 10th Doctor Spacesuit figure and crammed a 1:6 resin skull inside the helmet instead, using the foam inside the helmet to hold the skull in position. The same technique should work on the GI Joe or any other spacesuits/helmets out there.

elf2.jpg
elf1.jpg

Dammit, Jim, I'm a seamstress, not a sculptor! But I at least wanted to try to sculpt, so I added elf ears to a head. I also re-painted the eyes blue.

I'm still trying to decide whether to re-paint his hair to a more High Elf white or blond. The contrast of skin-tone ears against his dark hair is growing on me, however, so I might keep his hair black. Any suggestions?

I bought the figure (and some sculpey) years ago, but it took a challenge on another board to get me to pull them both out of the drawer and finally work on them.

millie1.jpg
millie2.jpg

Millie Hawkins is a WIP. Eventually she'll be a student at Hogwarts, in Ravenclaw. I had to scale down patterns for her shirt, pleated skirt, and socks. Making that many pleats, that narrow, was tricky! I'll probably make a new skirt someday to eliminate the diagonal skew of those pleats.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the house colors done to my liking, so she doesn't have a school tie or sweater yet (since I don't have any trims in her House colors yet). I'm trading sewing projects for Photoshop help, so eventually she should get a school tie and sweater, and maybe someday some robes.

I wanted to share a trick that should help to tame that annoying "bat wing" effect on Pertwee's "Sea Devils" outfit.

I'd read about a water technique to make clothes lay more naturally on a figure. I finally got around to trying the water treatment and it worked wonderfully!
3dr07.jpg

I just put the Inverness on a spare nude figure, then held it under the cold water faucet until it was soaking wet. The weight of the water pulled the fabric into a more natural-looking position. I made sure to fold the collar down, and made sure the cape-like "sleeves" were laying down flat, then just left the figure to dry overnight. It got rid of that annoying "bat wing" effect easy-peasy.
3dr05.jpg

I've included some pictures to show how well it worked out, plus this close-up to show of Russ's cool headsculpt again.
3dr06.jpg

More pictures on my website
I also used the same water treatment technique to tame a 1950s poodle skirt I made recently. (A cute fun project, especially researching authentic materials and construction techniques, but probably not the sort of project that would be welcome on this forum.)

3dr09.jpg

Just a quick pic to celebrate finally making a dent in my unpacking. (Almost everything I own has been in storage for over a year, so I haven't been able to get to it, much less take pictures of any of it.) WST sent me a really cool Axon ages ago, but I had no space to display it or photograph due to packing and storage issues. So it feels good to finally get a chance to photograph it, even if it's a quick fun pic with the Third Doctor and Bessie.

4dr07.jpg

After a series of less-than satisfactory stand-ins, I finally have some nice Tom Baker headsculpts. This one is from InkedDalek, with great paint by knucklefunger. (I'm looking forward to adding a Tom Baker sculpt from RussFX to my collection too, when his schedule permits.) I made the red jacket and TARDIS. The scarf came from Simply Treasures. You can see where she carefully added rips and tears to the scarf to reflect the damage it accumulated during various adventures (like being burnt on the Ark in Space).

Back