WIP Lee "Apollo" Adama 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoke with Lonnie who is prepared to cast the helmet, and then ship them back to me for Visor, Blue LED, external piping, internal wires and batteries.

The cost for a finished helm, sprayed, details painted and wired etc

$40 plus shipping

Anyone who wants one Id like a deposit of $10 - If I get 5 deposits Ill send the cast off to Lonnie buy the LED's batteries etc (already have the plastic for Visors)

So crunch time, anyone seriously after a Helmet $10 deposit

If we dont get 5 Ill return all deposits in full

Can do it either way, but tbh id prefer it if you produced the helm and sent me the visor sculpt, Ill vacuum form from that. Ive at least 6 customs of my own on the the go atm and Im dying to get them finished and on the shelf. However if your not confident then by all means Ill do the helmet also. FYI Im in the UK so you would need to cover postage here and back and the plastic for the visor. its only a 15 minute job so those are your costs. Btw if your able too, send me 3 visor casts, I can save on plastic sheets if I form all 3 at once. That said it would probably be cheaper to use 3 sheets than cast 3 visors, however if your getting 3 helmets cast, it might be negligble to get 3 visors also.

Yes! This is so freaking totally awesome. I will cover postage to and from/find the plastic--let me know what type, and send you 3 visors that I make plus whatever it would cost for you to make them for me. Whatever would make your life easier. I've also got tons of customs (mostly for me), but in about two weeks, actually, make that three, I will get something together. I've got a monstrous sewing project coming up the pike that I really want to do a good job on and I'm going to concentrate on it and get that done first before I do fun stuff like this for me. Thank you so much. I'll be calling on you in about three weeks, ok? :banana:banana:banana

Yes! This is so freaking totally awesome. I will cover postage to and from/find the plastic--let me know what type, and send you 3 visors that I make plus whatever it would cost for you to make them for me. Whatever would make your life easier. I've also got tons of customs (mostly for me), but in about two weeks, actually, make that three, I will get something together. I've got a monstrous sewing project coming up the pike that I really want to do a good job on and I'm going to concentrate on it and get that done first before I do fun stuff like this for me. Thank you so much. I'll be calling on you in about three weeks, ok? :banana:banana:banana

If you make your helmet in sections so that the visor section can be removed then post some pics and we will see where we are at !

Spoke with Lonnie who is prepared to cast the helmet, and then ship them back to me for Visor, Blue LED, external piping, internal wires and batteries.

The cost for a finished helm, sprayed, details painted and wired etc

$40 plus shipping

Anyone who wants one Id like a deposit of $10 - If I get 5 deposits Ill send the cast off to Lonnie buy the LED's batteries etc (already have the plastic for Visors)

So crunch time, anyone seriously after a Helmet $10 deposit

If we dont get 5 Ill return all deposits in full

I can pay you the $10.00 now for the helmet. But, I need your Paypal e-mail address. Please send me a PM with it, and I'll send the payment to you. Would you take $20.00 for two helmets? Let me know. Thanks again! :D

Mike

I can pay you the $10.00 now for the helmet. But, I need your Paypal e-mail address. Please send me a PM with it, and I'll send the payment to you. Would you take $20.00 for two helmets? Let me know. Thanks again! :D

Mike

BTW the headsculpt is by Chan Ada :

https://www.wantedactionfigure.com/shop.asp?p=8

I simply added a short HT neck peg and sanded the neck a little narrower to fit in the helmet better

If anyone else wants one shoot me a pm and ill send you the address to send the monies

Last edited:
I just sent you a $10.00 down payment for one helmet Jason. I look forward to building my own custom 1:6 scale Kara "Starbuck" Thrace. :D

Hi Mooncat,
Could you show how you sculpted the visor? And the process of vacuum forming it into that clear one? This is so fascinating.

Hi Mooncat,
Could you show how you sculpted the visor? And the process of vacuum forming it into that clear one? This is so fascinating.

Hopefully this explains it better:

Build your helmet, and then build your visor (ensuring the the visor sculpt can be removed from the helm)

Heres the Helmet without the jaw section but the visor in place :

DSCF5257.jpg

Then you can remove the visor sculpt and place it in your Vacuum form box. Heat your plastic and suck it down over the sculpt using the grill.

DSCF5255.jpg

DSCF5254.jpg

As you can see below the visor formed over the sculpt :

DSCF5260.jpg

DSCF5261.jpg

eh voila :

DSCF5184.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! it is crystal clear now! I appreciate the tutorial. Have you come up with a price structure for having pieces vac formed for us fellow customizers? I have two very similar visor projects like yours that I would like you to do.

Had a little think hows this . .

Getting the kit out and setting up in the kitchen, Clamping - heating it, connecting the hoover is a pain (wife moans)

Plus theres the cost of the sheets

So the sheets cost me for 1.0 mm thick clear £2.00 - 2.0 mm thick clear £3.00

(My visor "the first and only one Ive done so far btw was in 1.0 mm clear)

However I could probably get (dependant on size of sculpt formed) e.g some 1/6th scale visors

3 or 4 sculpts from 1 sheet

So if its 1 sculpt being done its £10 + materials (£2 or £3 clear plastic) + postage back to you (you obviously pay the costs of sending me the sculpts)

If its 3 sculpts its still £10 + materials (£2 or £3 clear plastic) + postage back to you

The setup is the pain not how many I vacuum form

So lets say

£5 deposit and you send me the sculpts

Life permitting and my time constraints permitting I produce them (Id aim for 2 weeks). I then post pics for you and ask for the outstanding amount for my time, materials and the postage, you pay the outstanding amount, I then pack your original sculpts and vacuum forms and send them back (Ill get an accurate quote from the post office back to you "recorded" and Ill only send it "recorded" delivery once they are OK'd via here after you see the pics)

However if life gets in the way "hopefully" it wont then I have 8 weeks with which to do the above or . . .

send you your original sculpts back

I dont offer refunds on deposits (if life does get in the way ill use that monies to get you your sculpts back to you)

I only accept Paypal payments

Im expecting life wont get in the way, but Im also looking at Les Walker and Dark Artist and the situations theyve gotten into, so Im being up front and honest and covering my bases. As who knows what life throws at you. Admittedly their process is painting and is far longer and more involved than mine but these are my first jobs so start as I mean to go on . .

So worse case for you would be £5 and your sculpts with me for 8 weeks before being returned (I will not ask for any additional postage If im returning sculpts without completing the vacuums, I will pay any additional postage needed and these will be sent back recorded delivery)

best case your original sculpts and 1 or 4 (as they are the same price) formed visors in your hand with 2 - 3 weeks for £13 + the additional recorded postage for these items sent to you.

Thats the deal, hopefully thats the obvious stuff covered

Hows that sound ?

EDIT:

If you want to wait until theres 3 sculpts that need doing (eg. three different people wanting 3 different visors) and want me to split the costs across those 3 sculpts I will do that if you wish to save on cost

That way all 3 sculpts would cost £3.33 each but obviously youd have to wait possibly longer than 8 weeks ???

Its an option anyway !

I think I can fit 3 or 4 in at once so youd can spread it between those 3 or 4

Last edited:
Waiting on an email back from the caster then Im sending it off, Decided to put him together and take some pics prior to sending it off, plus theres that nice Kiara sculpt out there now :) so id like to get her in the helm also, as ive said in another thread this is a prototype suit hopefully Blind Voyeur can knock some tailoring into it, plus the helmet sections arent secured together in anyway they are slotted and the jaw sections dropping slightly in these pics and I havent added the piping from the finials nor added any of the arm patches I have had made, by 'Patches of Pride', here it is so far next to some BSG production figures:

DSCF5460.jpg

DSCF5463.jpg

DSCF5456.jpg

DSCF5455.jpg

DSCF5466.jpg

DSCF5468.jpg

DSCF5475.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really good. I'd be proud to have that in my collection. I'd be up for one of those flightsuits remodelled for Kara in a heartbeat !

Me too! I know Chris and Mooncat both now how BAD I want a custom 1:6 scale Kara "Starbuck" Thrace figure! :D

Sculpts sent for molding yesterday, I also received a deposit recently but no mention of a Freaks Account to tie it too, if someone has sent me a deposit can you pm via the freaks board to confirm who it is on here ?

Lonnies emailed me, to say he has the sculpts in hand, he is doing some slight resculpting work on the circular ear section of the helm for me, (closer to the visor for accuracy)

Then he will begin molding and casting

Ill post pics of the casts as and when I get them,

Thx for your patience

Lonnies emailed me, to say he has an update:

Just thought I would update you today.

All pieces have been molded and test casts are out.

Results:

Helmet - mold has a couple of tiny issues where a trap of air caused a goober The resulting castings have two spots that have to be cleaned off with a dremmel and of course a seam line running from the mid top through the back that has to be cleaned off. Seriously condidering re-doing this part.

Helmet chin - mold is perfect and test cast is clean and perfect.

Helmet visor - mold is perfect and test cast is clean and perfect.

Neck Ring - mold is perfect and test cast is clean and perfect.

Shoes - mold is a tad wonky but test casting is acceptable (they are just tough to get out of the mold and then I have a little flashing to remove).

Hose attachment thingy - prototype built and molded. Test shot made. I am a little bit unhappy with this mostly due to a lack of reference material on the piece.

I have contacted a person within my prop collecting connections to get me some better shots of the actual prop.

I have also ordered some different material for testing in usse on this part since I think rubber will be too floppy and will have issues with paint. the material I have in mind is a more flexible resin that should be the best of both worlds.

Anyway, if you are not in too much of a hurry I would like some more time to play with this and get you the best possible final product.

I emailed him back saying theres no immediate rush

Mooncat, I am going to have to put off my ape-o-naut space helmets for about two months. I'm currently working on ventilating some hair onto lace and it's a MAJOR time suck. Ten solid hours and four square inches are all I have accomplished. All my efforts now are on this wig I am working on...I hope you don't mind. I will check in with you once this personal project of mine blows over.

Had some pics through from Lonnie, This is straight out the mold, so still needs sanding and cleaning up, then painting. He is doing the rest of the molds in white, the shoes he has cast in an alternative mix, they are casts from HT pegs in the top so they should fit snuggly, but be careful with them. No over forcing, KY Jelly recommended !

Also disregard the black Visor Casts those are for me, the vacuum form chamber can spread over 3 Visor sculpts now ! Ive asked for some more shots of the oxygen valves and the hoses. Here are the initial casts :

watermark.php

I actually wooted (aloud in the house) and rub my hands when I saw this one :

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

I think the valve on the back may need some tweaking but its a minor job

Back