1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Batman 1989: 1/6th scale Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Whoa! What is the story of that Falcon? It looks like it is mass-produced as the paint and weathering isn't that detailed and realistic, but this thing is much bigger than any mass-produced collectible I've ever seen (though HT is getting close to this), so is it a custom job or what?

I believe they where hanging in Toys R Us stores.

Re: Hot Toys Batman 1989: 1/6th scale Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

I've actually only been in Houston myself for about a year and a half, but welcome to the (soon to be) furnace that is Houston. I like it here except for the summers. Too hot, too many bugs.

If you order from out of state, then you don't pay sale tax. I shop for just about everything online for that very reason. It's an instant 10% discount.

I don't mind the heat actually, the bugs are annoying though :)

I don't understand how Hot Toys managed to make me pre order the 1989 Batmobile, but they did it!.. It was definitely a smart move from Hot Toys to release this untill the next year, well I am happy because this looks to me more like the Batman Returns batmobile than the 89 Batmobile (because the features) and I was plannig to get the retunrs figures. Probably the returns figures will be available along with this Batmobile.

And I'm getting this through SSC, good flex pay option, and probably cheaper international shipping. (AE doesn't ship to Chile so... :horror)

Hate this:

14. Members do not earn points for purchases made in whole or in part using Sideshow Rewards Points, gift cards, e-coupons, rebates, etc. Members cannot redeem points on discounted items, or combine points with any other promotion, including site discounts off the posted SRP, gift cards, e-coupons, rebates, shipping promotions / discounts, etc.

Update: Order placed, starting to pay on august :yess:

Last edited:

I took the blueprint images and layered the photos on top to see the difference. There's a lot of things that are off I don't know where to begin!

blueprintlayering.jpg

It does look a little squat to me. And not enough curve in it either. The real car had more of a "U" curve too it, whereas the HT car is a bit more boxy.

The fins flair the wrong direction as well.

It's almost as if the "Burtonesqe" style was toned down.

HT has already publicly stated that they had to shorten it to reduce the price.

And so it begins, over a year of photo shop to look forward to. :rotfl

It does look a little squat to me. And not enough curve in it either. The real car had more of a "U" curve too it, whereas the HT car is a bit more boxy.

The fins flair the wrong direction as well.

It's almost as if the "Burtonesqe" style was toned down.

Well, Tim Burton didn't design it, it was Anton Furst that designed the car.
But i do know what you mean... HT did tweaked it, which since the first time i saw it at SDCC 2011 I didn't like the HT approach.

It's just off to me.

I for one am extremely happy that I will be able to enjoy this batmobile. I am not too much into the exact detail features of this compared to the actual movie prop. It looks good and it looks the same to me and I am glad. 2013 can't come quick enough for me.

Overpriced?

This thing is over three feet long and dwarfs the Tumbler. How much did you expect to pay?

$600 is good enough, when it goes up for $1000, you know it's good price.

And zero chance someone else will offer one.

Oh and told my wife about it and she asked where it was going , and i said your but. She put down her phone and just looked at me. lulz

^^^ Pretty much.

And zero chance someone else will offer one.

Oh and told my wife about it and she asked where it was going , and i said your but. She put down her phone and just looked at me. lulz

Woah!.....at 9"H x 16"W x 39"L, you've got some tough competition there my man! :horror

If this blueprint of 21.16' is correct, then the Hot Toys scale is short.

21.16' = 21' 2" = 254"

254"(1/6) = 42.3" (Hot Toys' length is 39")

Now the height of the Hot Toys 1/6 scale model coincides with the blueprint's 4.43'.

4.43' = 4' 5.25" (roughly) = 53.25"

53.25"(1/6) = 8.9" (Hot Toys' height is 9")

39 inches is a 1/6 scale model of 19' 6" vehicle, which in 1:1 scale, is 1' 7" shorter. :(

I took the blueprint images and layered the photos on top to see the difference. There's a lot of things that are off I don't know where to begin!

Yes a lot of details are off when you overlay the Hot Toys Batmobile with photos of the car or the official blueprints. It is taller on the sides, and the overall shape of the rear fenders are too boxy, plus the fins do not have enough curve to them. However, there are several things worth noting:

1. The "official" blueprints have to be taken with a big grain of salt. They are more promotional images / movie prop images (for the Penguin scene) than hard and fast schematics. Don't believe me? Try lining up the top view with the side view. The official blueprint contradicts itself.

2. In at least one "official" measurement of the actual prop car from the filming of Batman in 1989, it's length is given as 19ft 6ins (5.9m) and it's width is given as 8ft (2.4m). [source: "Batman: The Official Book of the Movie, 1989 by John Marriott, pg 74]. Marriott was at Pinewood Studios during the filming, and had total access to the cast, sets, and prop departments for writing this book. According to these dimensions the HT Batmobile length and width is exactly in scale.

3. As I've noted before, in addition to the above "official" sources (promotional blueprint, Marriott's behind-the-scenes book), there are other seemingly legitimate sources that say the Batmobile is even longer. The longest measurement listed on an official piece of merchandise is 260.7" on the original AMT/Ertl 1/25 scale model kit, with a width measurement of 94.4".

Let's assume these measurements are correct. 260.7" L / 94.4" W puts the Batmobile's Length to Width ratio at 2.76.

There is not one single Batmobile model in existence with this ridiculously long length to width ratio.

Here are the L and W dimensions and length to width ratios of a few "scale" Batmobile models ranked from longest to shortest ratio:

1. RichMan Toys "1/10 Scale" Radio Controlled Car: 20" L (not counting protective bumper addition) / 7.875" W = Length to Width ratio of 2.5396...

2. AMT/Ertl "1/25 Scale" model kit: 9.375" L / 3.7" W = Length to Width ratio of 2.5337...

3. Hot Wheels "1/18 Scale" Die Cast: 11.375" L / 4.5" W = Length to Width ratio of 2.5277...

4. Hot Toys "1/6 Scale" Collectible: 39" L / 16" W = Length to Width ratio of 2.4375

5. Toynami Cinemaquette "1/8 Scale" Prop Replica: 29" L / 12" W = Length to Width ratio of 2.4166...

Out of all of these models, Hot Toys has almost the shortest proportion, but even the longest model on this list is no where near the ridiculously long 2.76 ratio. How could so many model manufacturers with access to the real car get it so wrong every time?

Unless they didn't. The average length to width ratio of all of these models is 2.4910... Since so many model makers came up around this ratio, it is the most likely correct one.

And what happens when you plug in this ratio 2.4910 to the 94.4" width to get the length? You get a Batmobile that is 235.1504" long. At 1/6 that is 39.1920....

The Hot Toys Batmobile is the correct length.

Last edited:

Words.

And numbers.

:monkey4

Yes a lot of details are off when you overlay the Hot Toys Batmobile with photos of the car or the official blueprints. It is taller on the sides, and the overall shape of the rear fenders are too boxy, plus the fins do not have enough curve to them. However, there are several things worth noting:

1. The "official" blueprints have to be taken with a big grain of salt. They are more promotional images / movie prop images (for the Penguin scene) than hard and fast schematics. Don't believe me? Try lining up the top view with the side view. The official blueprint contradicts itself.

2. In at least one "official" measurement of the actual prop car from the filming of Batman in 1989, it's length is given as 19ft 6ins (5.9m) and it's width is given as 8ft (2.4m). [source: "Batman: The Official Book of the Movie, 1989 by John Marriott, pg 74]. Marriott was at Pinewood Studios during the filming, and had total access to the cast, sets, and prop departments for writing this book. According to these dimensions the HT Batmobile length and width is exactly in scale.

3. As I've noted before, in addition to the above "official" sources (promotional blueprint, Marriott's behind-the-scenes book), there are other seemingly legitimate sources that say the Batmobile is even longer. The longest measurement listed on an official piece of merchandise is 260.7" on the original AMT/Ertl 1/25 scale model kit, with a width measurement of 94.4".

Let's assume these measurements are correct. 260.7" L / 94.4" W puts the Batmobile's Length to Width ratio at 2.76.

There is not one single Batmobile model in existence with this ridiculously long length to width ratio.

Here are the L and W dimensions and length to width ratios of a few "scale" Batmobile models ranked from longest to shortest ratio:

1. RichMan Toys "1/10 Scale" Radio Controlled Car: 20" L (not counting protective bumper addition) / 7.875" W = Length to Width ratio of 2.5396...

2. AMT/Ertl "1/25 Scale" model kit: 9.375" L / 3.7" W = Length to Width ratio of 2.5337...

3. Hot Wheels "1/18 Scale" Die Cast: 11.375" L / 4.5" W = Length to Width ratio of 2.5277...

4. Hot Toys "1/6 Scale" Collectible: 39" L / 16" W = Length to Width ratio of 2.4375

5. Toynami Cinemaquette "1/8 Scale" Prop Replica: 29" L / 12" W = Length to Width ratio of 2.4166...

Out of all of these models, Hot Toys has almost the shortest proportion, but even the longest model on this list is no where near the ridiculously long 2.76 ratio. How could so many model manufacturers with access to the real car get it so wrong every time?

Unless they didn't. The average length to width ratio of all of these models is 2.4910... Since so many model makers came up around this ratio, it is the most likely correct one.

And what happens when you plug in this ratio 2.4910 to the 94.4" width to get the length? You get a Batmobile that is 235.1504" long. At 1/6 that is 39.1920....

Words.

And numbers.

:monkey4

[ame]https://youtu.be/AyenRCJ_4Ww[/ame]

tumblr_lpuim0Pjnc1qh066ho1_500.gif

Back