Plasma or LCD ???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Chaver

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a 42" Panasonic plasma. I'm pretty satisfied with it (since I only paid $700 for it) and I was just wanting to get a general consensus on what everyone thinks about the two technologies and how they compare?

Thanks

I've talked to ALOT of different people and plasmas are still considered top of the line, even better than LEDs. The only problem with plasmas is with glare because of the glass. You just have to be careful how the room is lit. They also pull more energy. As for picture, they are the best. And it's a myth that LCDs last longer. That no longer holds true. And if you watch the thing 24/7 for YEARS, then I supposed none of them are gonna last long.

I've talked to ALOT of different people and plasmas are still considered top of the line, even better than LEDs. The only problem with plasmas is with glare because of the glass. You just have to be careful how the room is lit. They also pull more energy. As for picture, they are the best. And it's a myth that LCDs last longer. That no longer holds true. And if you watch the thing 24/7 for YEARS, then I supposed none of them are gonna last long.

It does look better to me. It seems to have more color and depth than my LCD. My LCD appears brighter though ?? Not that it's a good thing.

That's just it, it's just brighter, but not necessarily better. Plasma has more depth and colors. I plan on getting one hopefully in the next couple of months. I planned on getting one sooner but I got hit with a very high dental bill and my car is on the fritz. That will have to be taken care of first.

I have an LCD in my bedroom, 26". It's very nice, but I'll need a plasma in my family room since the room is 20 x 26. I'm looking at a 55" + :D

That's just it, it's just brighter, but not necessarily better. Plasma has more depth and colors. I plan on getting one hopefully in the next couple of months. I planned on getting one sooner but I got hit with a very high dental bill and my car is on the fritz. That will have to be taken care of first.

I have an LCD in my bedroom, 26". It's very nice, but I'll need a plasma in my family room since the room is 20 x 26. I'm looking at a 55" + :D

I'm not so sure, the LED TV's have a much higher contrast ratio and more even lighting, along with being really thin, main thing about the Plasmas was the contrast is much higher than regular LCD's but the new LED's are even higher.

I think its all a matter of prefernce and who you talk too, or what you read, or what you choose to believe. Bottom line is there is very little seperating the 2 now.

I'm not so sure, the LED TV's have a much higher contrast ratio and more even lighting, along with being really thin, main thing about the Plasmas was the contrast is much higher than regular LCD's but the new LED's are even higher.

I thought they'd pick the LED too, but they all went with plasma. I know the LEDs are really thin but that doesn't matter to me. Anyway, if I keep rackin' up the bills, I won't be seeing a new TV anytime soon. :(

Plasmas technology is dead. LCD is the future and its called LED LCD. Flat, bright, runs cool, last longer. etc

thats an irrelevant statement considering once you buy a tv lcd or plasma or otherwise that tv itself can't be upgraded. its not like buying a HD_DVD player where they aren't making more discs in that format amd you're screwed. Once you own the TV who cares if the tech dies its not like the one you just bought all of a sudden stops working.

Plasmas technology is dead. LCD is the future and its called LED LCD. Flat, bright, runs cool, last longer. etc

You need to read more articles about this. I've done ALOT of reading on it. Yes, LEDs run cool and are more energy efficient, but they are also more expensive. And they don't last longer. If you're going strictly on best picture quality, the articles say go plasma. If you're gonna play games on it for 10 hours a day or run your computer through it, then LCD/LED is your best bet.

There's pros and cons to both. And there's myths about both.

I think the advice that King gives is about the best.

I like LCD better. Though I'd go LED for sure if I was buying now!
Personally I find the LCD picture brighter & sharper the Plasma's did have more contrast I believe early on.

Plasma's have darker blacks. LED's are brighter. Plasmas are heavy SOBs almost as bad as tube types. Just bought an LED for my dad and the box felt empty compared to my plasma.

You need to read more articles about this. I've done ALOT of reading on it. Yes, LEDs run cool and are more energy efficient, but they are also more expensive. And they don't last longer. If you're going strictly on best picture quality, the articles say go plasma. If you're gonna play games on it for 10 hours a day or run your computer through it, then LCD/LED is your best bet.

There's pros and cons to both. And there's myths about both.

I think the advice that King gives is about the best.

There are pros and cons about any product. LED TVs are more expensive because its still rather new. just like plasma was expensive when it first came out compared to CRT.

You proved it to me, LCD monitors are better. :lol

plasmas are superior for watching movies and sports. they have deeper blacks that lcds cannot match. the image quality is also the same from any viewing angle. the colour and brightness of lcds degrade drastically the further off-centre u sit.

lcds are generally better for gaming and watching animation. they do not suffer from image retention like plasmas, where static images like logos and graphics will be imprinted onto the screen after some time.

anyone who flatly declares that lcds are better than plasma either don't know what they're talking about or are simply misinformed.

Its a personal choice and you can only go by what looks better to your own eye.LCD's are far more popular with the everyday punter(well over here anyway) with being the newer technology and have caught up in leap and bounds.Both plasma and lcd will be replaced by OLED or some other new technology and so on......

I spent dozens of hours on the net before deciding what to buy and you'll be amazed at the varying opinions.I found videophiles still prefer plasma and i have yet to hear someone who owns both lcd and plasma say they like their lcd more.Both are good enough technologies and have their own advantages for you to win whichever way you go.

Having said all that who cares as long as you enjoy the picture and are happy in the long run.

Here's another thread that could be put into a permanent sticky.

"King send out a search party and bring back a permanent thread".:D

Last edited:
plasmas are superior for watching movies and sports. they have deeper blacks that lcds cannot match. the image quality is also the same from any viewing angle. the colour and brightness of lcds degrade drastically the further off-centre u sit.

lcds are generally better for gaming and watching animation. they do not suffer from image retention like plasmas, where static images like logos and graphics will be imprinted onto the screen after some time.

anyone who flatly declares that lcds are better than plasma either don't know what they're talking about or are simply misinformed.

And even that has been improved on, plus it will fade back out over time.

The reasons you mentioned is why I would probably go with a plasma. The fade out from the sides. In a big room, that would be bad. Also, I don't play video games on my tv.

Back