Plasma or LCD ???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And even that has been improved on, plus it will fade back out over time.

The reasons you mentioned is why I would probably go with a plasma. The fade out from the sides. In a big room, that would be bad. Also, I don't play video games on my tv.

I will still play games on my plasma. I only play my PS3 for no more than a couple of hours at a time anyway. Some days I don't even play.

My son is not allowed to play games on my PS3. He's not even allowed to be out there unless he's watching what I want to watch, or if I agree to watch something that he wants to watch. Thats only because I moved my old 32" LCD into his room, along with a brand new 360 I bought him for christmas.

There shouldn't be any reason for him to hog my tv now, that is unless he want's to spend time with me.:D

Both tech's are good provided your buying high end stuff and not your cheaper brand's. For instance if you want to buy a LCD you may as well spend the money and get your self a Sony Bravia as they are the best as far as LCD's go. As for plasmas im not to sure
who leads the market for those.

I own both a plasma and an lcd tv. Both are 42".

I prefer my lcd though.

Just waint until you run into the "red snow" problem with a plasma tv. You'll wish you'd went with lcd.

And even that has been improved on, plus it will fade back out over time.

The reasons you mentioned is why I would probably go with a plasma. The fade out from the sides. In a big room, that would be bad. Also, I don't play video games on my tv.

I will still play games on my plasma. I only play my PS3 for no more than a couple of hours at a time anyway. Some days I don't even play.

there's a solution for the dreaded image retention (i.r) issue. experts call it running-in/burning-in the screen. that means watching constantly moving images for the first 200 to 300 hours of the tv's lifespan. playing white noise (the static in betwen channels) also does the trick. once the screen is sufficiently "seasoned", chances of i.r will be reduced drastically. note that the "letterbox" widescreen format, ie black bars at the top & bottom of the screen are bad for new plasmas. they also lead to i.r. the solution is to switch to full screen mode during the run-in period. troublesome but worth it...

from my understanding (hanging out in AV forums), the pioneer "kuro" is one of the best plasmas around. i've seen one in person and the blacks are absolutely amazing! but they're friggin expensive. the panasonic "viera" series comes in a respectable 2nd, and the prices are pretty reasonable.

i'll be getting a 50" plasma for my home very soon. can't wait!

I have a Samsung 50" plasma, i find it to be a better quailty picture than my old LCD Phillips, greatly improved black areas and general quality. The downside is i do play Xbox on my new TV and obviously i watch a fair amount of TV mailnly comedy central, i have had a fair annoyance with the logo burning in for a good while after usually disaperaring after an hour or two. I also had an issue playing left for dead 2 on my new TV as the health and other HUD items burned in for a few days after if only faint once i noticed it well it was an annoyance. Still i prefer the plasma to the LCD even with the slight annoyance of 'screen burn'.

What brand is your Plasma?

My plasma is an HP.

Another problem you'll run into with screen burn is the fact that most channels all keep their logo present on the screen at all times.

Since it's always there, and always in the same place, it'll burn in.

My plasma is an HP.

Another problem you'll run into with screen burn is the fact that most channels all keep their logo present on the screen at all times.

Since it's always there, and always in the same place, it'll burn in.

Do you know who made the screen? I know LG is known for the red snow. They also make Toshiba's plasma screens. From what I've read though, the problems you've stated are present or not as bad now. Thanks for posting it though and I'll definately ask about it!

help me choose TV

I am super close to finally buying a new tv.

3 choices.

46" 240hz Samsung LN46B750U1F + Bluray player $1550
or
46" 240hz Sony KDL46XBR9 + Bluray player $1650
or
50" Panasonic Viera Plasma for $1000

I technically don't need the BR players since I'll be getting a ps3 soon. The 2 LCDs have internet connectivity for netflix and stuff...but the 50" is cheaper and bigger.

I'm stuck.

I can honestly say, after owning both a Plasma and an LCD for a while that the LCD is a better t.v.

CONS

Plasma - small black squares (pixels) during dark scenes and sometimes burn't images when a picture is standing still for a while. (Eg. menu and pausing)

LCD - The picture becomes a little fuzzy ONLY when there is light grey in a certain picture. (I own a Sharp so i'd assume this is only the case with my t.v.)

Re: help me choose TV

I am super close to finally buying a new tv.

3 choices.

46" 240hz Samsung LN46B750U1F + Bluray player $1550
or
46" 240hz Sony KDL46XBR9 + Bluray player $1650
or
50" Panasonic Viera Plasma for $1000

I technically don't need the BR players since I'll be getting a ps3 soon. The 2 LCDs have internet connectivity for netflix and stuff...but the 50" is cheaper and bigger.

I'm stuck.

Prog, are you looking at that Plasma in the Best Buy ad? I am so gonna check out that 65"!

Maybe you could use the blu-ray player on another set or sell it on eBay.

I can honestly say, after owning both a Plasma and an LCD for a while that the LCD is a better t.v.

CONS

Plasma - small black squares (pixels) during dark scenes and sometimes burn't images when a picture is standing still for a while. (Eg. menu and pausing)

LCD - The picture becomes a little fuzzy ONLY when there is light grey in a certain picture. (I own a Sharp so i'd assume this is only the case with my t.v.)

How old are your sets?

I have NEVER EVER EVER EVER had black squares or anything on my plasma during dark scenes. They are pitch black, solid blacks, perfect blacks.

And I have played for 10 continuous hours with zero burn in when there was constant image for that entire 10 hours.

plasma>lcd

IMO.

Prog, are you looking at that Plasma in the Best Buy ad? I am so gonna check out that 65"!

Maybe you could use the blu-ray player on another set or sell it on eBay.

Yeah. Its the new Panasonic 50Ps14. Its so new that its not even on sale. Thats the thing holding me up on it is I know I'm paying full price which is tough for me to do. Though it is a nice price anyway.

Yeah. Its the new Panasonic 50Ps14. Its so new that its not even on sale. Thats the thing holding me up on it is I know I'm paying full price which is tough for me to do. Though it is a nice price anyway.

I thought is was on sale! It is a good price though. Did you go to the store and check it out?

I was thinking about going, but the weather sucks today and I'd get blowed off the road.

the 65" is an older model, the S10 line I think, that one is on sale. The 50" is a newer model S14. I might wait a few more days and see if I get one of those 10% off coupons in the mail from BB that can only be used on regular priced items.

I did check out the 50". It looks good.

How old are your sets?

My Samsung (Plasma) is a little over a year and a half and my LCD (Sharp) is only a month old.

I have NEVER EVER EVER EVER had black squares or anything on my plasma during dark scenes. They are pitch black, solid blacks, perfect blacks.

And I have played for 10 continuous hours with zero burn in when there was constant image for that entire 10 hours.

plasma>lcd

IMO.

What brand is your Plasma, Chase?

the 65" is an older model, the S10 line I think, that one is on sale. The 50" is a newer model S14. I might wait a few more days and see if I get one of those 10% off coupons in the mail from BB that can only be used on regular priced items.

I did check out the 50". It looks good.

I got one of those coupons yesterday. They might be online somewhere too.

It's likely I'll be upgrading my tv in April , I've been talking about it for way to long and I've not really got much of a choice now since its about ready to explode I think so I'll have to have a look through some threads like this.

Back