Alien vs. Predator 2 - Official Movie Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I don't get all the Cameron worship.
Aliens is a great movie (as are T1, T2 and Abyss) but it's not that great...

*runs for cover*

No, seriously.
Both Scott and Fincher (and even Jeunet, although A:R is the worst of the series by far) are better directors than Cameron and have made many more, better movies than Cameron.
I would take either of those guys over Cameron to helm a new Alien movie any day.
Cameron can write the script, though.

Actually, I don't get all the Cameron worship.
Aliens is a great movie (as are T1, T2 and Abyss) but it's not that great...

*runs for cover*

No, seriously.
Both Scott and Fincher (and even Jeunet, although A:R is the worst of the series by far) are better directors than Cameron and have made many more, better movies than Cameron.
I would take either of those guys over Cameron to helm a new Alien movie any day.
Cameron can write the script, though.

Brave words Abake! :lol

But seriously, money doesn't lie. The man may not be the "artist" the other directors are, no sir, but Titanic, for all it's pitfalls, made over $600,000,000.00 domestically! Yeah. Ok. So, he's not a hack! :lol
And I didn't go see it for the teen romance...That ship stuff ruled! :rock
(I've always been a Titanic scholar since my Grandma used to sit me down as a kid and talk about when it sank, and what it was like in the papers and all...can't help it...I was very into that one...as was a couple of other folks it seems...)

But. he needs to get his head back into some of his old familiar areas again, if you ask me. He was always best doing his normal, everyday working man against the (insert wild a$$ problem here) movies. :D

But anyway, that's just a pipe dream anyway. None of these guys is ever gonna do another Alien film now. Not in a million years! And that is sad. Fox would only MAKE MONEY! To quote Napoleon Dynamite "IDIOTS!"

It would be great to see a serious effort with either the Predator or Alien franchise... but my guess is we are now relagated to summer fun movies. Which I guess is better than nothing :monkey3

Yeah, I doubt any of the former directors will ever come back to Alien. What a pity.
Anyway, the only ones to even remotely show any interest in it were Scott and Cameron...

I'm not sure if Scott, Cameron, or Fincher could really do another good film with the Aliens. They were all sort of up and coming directors at the time they made their successful Alien films, and I think that fresh approach is what allowed them to be visionary and really give us something, but I think years of work, and further success for Scott and Cameron ( I know little about Fincher ) has dulled the qualities in them that gave us the great films of old. I don't think there is a director out there who could truly handle this subject/genre. Most horror directors just toss gore and abnormality at the audience, but no quality story or characters worth routing for or taking interest in, and the sci-fi filmmakers today seem more towards and Star Terk / Star Wars type of sci-fi, which is entertaining but certainly not what you'd look for in Aliens films. I don't forsee an Alien or Predator film coming anytime soon that really hits on the elements that made the first films in each series so entertaining, I just don't think there are directors out there who are in touch with the subject matter enough to truly represent it well on film.

I'm not sure if Scott, Cameron, or Fincher could really do another good film with the Aliens. They were all sort of up and coming directors at the time they made their successful Alien films, and I think that fresh approach is what allowed them to be visionary and really give us something, but I think years of work, and further success for Scott and Cameron ( I know little about Fincher ) has dulled the qualities in them that gave us the great films of old. I don't think there is a director out there who could truly handle this subject/genre. Most horror directors just toss gore and abnormality at the audience, but no quality story or characters worth routing for or taking interest in, and the sci-fi filmmakers today seem more towards and Star Terk / Star Wars type of sci-fi, which is entertaining but certainly not what you'd look for in Aliens films. I don't forsee an Alien or Predator film coming anytime soon that really hits on the elements that made the first films in each series so entertaining, I just don't think there are directors out there who are in touch with the subject matter enough to truly represent it well on film.

As sad as that paragraph makes me... it pretty much nails it on the head. I would love it if some new visionary director with balls of steel would make an Alien film that truly terrifies the audience again, or if Ridley or Cameron could capture lighting in a bottle and give us that "good old feeling" again.... but I doubt it will happen. I don't know if there are any out there... Maybe one day.

God knows we need it, haven't had a good sci-fi Horror/Thriller film in YEARS. And that sucks. :monkey2

:confused: Not quite sure how you've come to your conclusion about James Cameron. His track record concerning sci-fi movies is outstanding. As for his previous successes dulling the quality of his movies...what???:confused: His last movie was Titanic so what are you basing that statement on?

If there's anyone out there who could make a truly fantastic Predator or Alien movie it's James Cameron...but it'll never happen because there is no way Fox is going to spend the kind of money it would take to hire him. Fox would much rather spend next to nothing on first time directors trying to make a name for themselves. Sadly, the days of great sci-fi movies like Aliens winning 4 Oscars out of 9 nominations, are over. :monkey2

:confused: Not quite sure how you've come to your conclusion about James Cameron. His track record concerning sci-fi movies is outstanding. As for his previous successes dulling the quality of his movies...what???:confused: His last movie was Titanic so what are you basing that statement on?

If there's anyone out there who could make a truly fantastic Predator or Alien movie it's James Cameron...but it'll never happen because there is no way Fox is going to spend the kind of money it would take to hire him. Fox would much rather spend next to nothing on first time directors trying to make a name for themselves. Sadly, the days of great sci-fi movies like Aliens winning 4 Oscars out of 9 nominations, are over. :monkey2

I wasn't saying Cameron can't direct anymore, and I love some of Ridley's later works (Hannibal, Gladiator), I was just saying, the things that helped them to give us Terminator and Alien films has been lost with age and the span of their careers. James Cameron's explanation about Terminator in the behind the scenes footage is pretty tapped and crazy, I don't think he's that guy any more, and that's not to put him down as a director, just affects his ability to deliver Aliens again.

I wasn't saying Cameron can't direct anymore, and I love some of Ridley's later works (Hannibal, Gladiator), I was just saying, the things that helped them to give us Terminator and Alien films has been lost with age and the span of their careers. James Cameron's explanation about Terminator in the behind the scenes footage is pretty tapped and crazy, I don't think he's that guy any more, and that's not to put him down as a director, just affects his ability to deliver Aliens again.

Perhaps, but I'd love to give him the chance. The guy is, and always will be, a perfectionist. And you know when he does a movie he gives it everything he's got. I'll be very curious to see how Avatar turns out.

Why couldn't they just have it on a colony on a different world IN THE FUTURE? :monkey4

Quite simply , COLONY+DIFFERENT WORLD+FUTURE= $$$$$$$$
Although the first AvP didn't cost the earth , it was far from a low budget production but it made money due to D.V.D sales and "back-end" profits. I should imagine the producers want to keep cost down as the "AvP Franchise" is still a relatively high-risk proposition . Apart from the Star Wars movies , "Space set fantasy" doesn't translate to success . Look at "Serenity" and "Chronicles of Riddick", both excellent movies which died at the box office . Setting the movie on Earth in contempary times enables it to be marketed as a straight ahead "Horror Movie" and attract an audience that the "Science- Fiction" tag could possibly put off . Makes sense when you look at it like that .

Yeah, I know that. It's just so wrong though. Predator makes sense, but the Alien just seems so out of place and is going to be even more out of place in this one.

But Riddick was a "sequel" to a movie that didn't get enough recognition, plus it was something new. You can sorta say the same with Serenity. This is Aliens and Predators!

Doesn't matter now. Doubt we'll see anything good coming from these two franchises. Probably just ****ty remakes for the ADD generation.

Perhaps, but I'd love to give him the chance. The guy is, and always will be, a perfectionist. And you know when he does a movie he gives it everything he's got. I'll be very curious to see how Avatar turns out.

I think he still has talent as a film maker, but I think the part of his mind that led to Terminator and Aliens started to fade away some time post Terminator 2, and in fact, T2 is like the last really good science fiction film to me; it had story, it had a moral lesson, characters you could love, cutting edge effects, great performances, it had everything. I love Star Wars, but they were never more than fun adventure films, which George Lucas even admitted to, and they succeeded at that, but they weren't powerful. And modern horror/thrillers just don't tap into the mind as well as older films did; it's more about showing a guy getting his head hacked off with a chainsaw than about a lurking force you're not even sure is there until it's too late, which is what made Alien great, it was a horror film in space; instead of Michael Myers or Jason, you get a blood thirsty alien. I don't know what quality it is that Scott, Cameron and Fincher had that made their films in this genre so good, but like I said before, I don't see it in anyone making film today, and despite their best efforts, the AVP 1 creative team didn't deliver a film that was reminiscent of the originals.

despite their best efforts, the AVP 1 creative team didn't deliver a film that was reminiscent of the originals.

That's an understatement! :rotfl I'm sure the director, writer's, and actors did the best they could, but let's face it they were all B-list material at best. I blame Fox for delivering that garbage, and from the look of things were going to see more of the same from AVP 2. I can guarantee if Fox doesn't release this movie a couple of days in advance for the critics I won't be spending 1 cent of my money to see it. :monkey2

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Predalien vs. Predator:

avpr.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Predalien vs. Predator:

avpr.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I REALLYYYYY hope that the Predatord-Xenomorph hybrid doesn't turn out to be a joke like the Albino Xenomorph in Resurrection. It has strong potential, but the design is questionable and if the performance is poorly executed, something that could be very badass would be a monster flop.

That's an understatement! :rotfl I'm sure the director, writer's, and actors did the best they could, but let's face it they were all B-list material at best. I blame Fox for delivering that garbage, and from the look of things were going to see more of the same from AVP 2. I can guarantee if Fox doesn't release this movie a couple of days in advance for the critics I won't be spending 1 cent of my money to see it. :monkey2

what i find so funny is that if you watch the behind the scenes for AVP, the producer talked about how he received hundreds of scripts for AVP, and the Anderson one was by far the best one he had read.

yeah whatever.

Back