Autographed figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highwayman57

Freakalicious
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about getting your figures autographed? Either by the sculptor or the actor who played the role? I'm asking because Michael Biehn will be at the Chiller Theatre Spring Expo and I'm thinking of hauling one of my boxed Aliens Hicks figures up there for him to sign!

Last edited:
Ditto. Oluf had a Knight of Ni with a trashed box,m so he signed the base for me. Very cool.

A few of us painters like to sign our work, too. I know Josh signs the feet.

I've never been a fan of autographs. I've met actors in person but to me it's just like meeting another person. They are familiar only because they are recognized for their work but they are just people like everyone else. I've met some actors that are very different when you meet them in person and realize that they aren't anything like the characters they portray. Some are nice, friendly and personable, others you can tell are just doing it as part of the job to promote their work. Of course, we idolize the characters they portray by collecting action figures to commemorate our heroes but a signature is something that is only enjoyed if it is personalized and is important to the person receiving it. Most actors charge for an autograph at a convention which seems like they are taking advantage of the fans who have supported their careers which seems genuinely insulting. Let me tell you about my Lou Ferrigno story from ComiCon last year...

I'm roaming the floor at ComiCon and my friend says "There's Lou Ferrigno, you should have him sign your Incredible Hulk DVD." Two days earlier, The Incredible Hulk was released on DVD and since I watched it as a kid, I purchased it, had it in my backpack. So I open up my backpack, Lou sees me coming with it, and before I even get up to the table he says "That's new, that's forty." I said, "What?" He says "That just came out so that's forty. If you want to buy one of my pictures it's twenty but that's forty." I was insulted. Here was one of my childhood heroes deliberately taking advantage of one of his fans. I immediately lost all repect for him and I have NEVER watched my Incredible Hulk DVDs and am probably going to sell them on ebay. I used to feel bad for Lou. In interviews he said he became a body builder because he was made fun of as a kid and used to get beat up in school by bullies. I remember watching Pumping Iron and Arnold psyched him out by saying "Lou is like a child and I am like his father" and then he says to Lou "You're gonna lose" and he did and then Lou, in tears after the Mr. Olympia competition throws around the weights in frustration. Worst experience meeting an actor EVER and now I could care less about somebody's scribbled signature. It's just bragging rights only. As a memento of meeting them perhaps it is worth it but when I have to open up the wallet and hand somebody I admire and respect my hard earned cash just to get a quick and sloppy scribble it loses all of its novelty.

you should have looked at him stange and said, "Oh I was going to ask you to take this to the car....you look like my driver....who are you again?" :)

I think an autographed box can be fun.

Sure some stars are douchebags... but if you met them in person (on the street or at a signing) its a fun way to remember it. The only signed figure I have is an Army of Darkness 2 pack from Palisades. I went to a book signing and screening of the Man w/the Screaming Brain by Bruce Campbell and since he's about 10 shades of cool I love having his auto on a figure of him... cool thing is he even put ash under his signature (which the auto people said he wouldn't do, so don't ask :lol ).

I see your point about actors just being (for better or worse) people. And you're right, at these conventions, they do charge for autographs. But in my experience, most of the actors have been very nice and only charged $20-$25 to sign an item. The one exception I've experienced was Barbara Eden, and it was actually her manager who insisted that we pay $45 for her autograph on an "I Dream Of Jeannie" lunchbox (the reason she gave was that it was a "specialty item"!). I've had several actors sign DVDs for me and was never charged more than $25. Most will sign exactly what you specify, but Adam West (tv's Batman" will only sign items that are personalized to the fan-- he found out several years ago that photos and items that were signed just with his signature were being sold by "fans" for more than he was charging!

But overall, you have to realize that the actors are doing this for the money. At the Chiller Theatre show, the celebrity guests (unlike many other shows) don't receive an appearance fee-- they depend on autograph sales as income for the weekend. Some seem to be genuinely pleased to meet fans and chat with them, but in the end it comes down to money-- and I have no problem paying a reasonable amount for an autograph!

It's outrageous that these overpaid celebrities have to depend on the fans for income. Most of them have made more money in their careers (even short-lived ones) then people like me could hope to make as a wage-slave in a lifetime. That's why you see these sad old has-been actors spending their celebrity afterlives making convention appearances to make a living off of their 15 minutes of fame and why we have money-grubbing has-beens like Lou Ferrigno.

I only have one figure autographed , my Sauron of Toybiz still mint in box the autograph of Sala Baker looks really cool. I prefer autogrpahed boxes than autogrpahed figure, only my SSW statues can be signed in their bases but my 12 inch not

Let me tell you my other story about Mark Hammil...

So Mark comes in to read for my friend's casting director and she knows he is a big Star Wars fan. So after the reading she pulls a couple of Luke Skywalker figures out and asks him to sign them for some fans (me and him) and Mark instantly becomes annoyed and says very curtly "I don't have time for this poo" and immediately walks out of her office. True story. When my friend called me to give me the bad news that he couldn't get Mark's autograph for us I was shocked. Another childhood idol that I will never look at the same way again.

I kind of understand where Mark was coming from, though. He's in his late fifties and he's still hounded for a movie he did when he was a kid. He goes in for a job interview, and is confronted AGAIN by the spectre of Star Wars.

The Lou Ferrigno story sucks, and I'm not saying it's cool, but I don't think it's fair to judge a guys "true nature" based on one interaction. That's the first I ever heard of Mark being less than courteous to a fan. I've heard a lot more stories of him being gracious and inifinitely patient. Certainly more so than I would be if everyone always brought up the stuff I did at the beginning of my career.

Just my two cents.

Personally, I really dig having someone's autograph because I respect and admire their WORK, even if I'm not sure the person is quite a nice guy. I wouldn't want to hang with Anthony Hopkins, but he's one of my favorite actors! I got Stan Lee's autograph and he was extremely nice. Ditto Danny Elfman, who agreed to sign a CD for me because my brother somehow got his phone number.

Never saw any reason to get an autograph. I guess its just not my thing.

However, I really don't see a prob with celebs charging at conventions. Its a day of "work"(how hard it can be to sign your name all day I don't know), and its fair for them to get payed. After all its the fans that have created a demand for their autos and its the fans that pay. So in fact its the fans who have made it ok for celebs to charge for autos. I really cant blame celebs for trying to make a buck.

I personally, have little use for autos.

I once got Ozzy's auto back in '96. It took him LITERALLY 20 seconds to sign his name. That might not sound like much, but sign your own name and count out 20 seconds. Believe me, thats a LONG time to write a non legible name. Its was kinda funny. But I hold no real "value" to the signed pic I got. It looks like a 3 year old did it anyway:lol

I'm not saying that they shouldn't get paid for their time my the promoters of the Con but still they should only do it if they feel like genuinely taking the time to meet the fans and not do it as a job to make extra money to support their fancy lifestyles, coke habits, whatever. I just had Carrie Fisher sign at ComiCon too. She was aloof as I expected and it was fun to meet her, albeit brief. Cost me $30. Was it worth it? Probably not but at least I met somebody I admired as a kid so it warmed the heart of the child inside of me. I also met Erin Grey, Sam Jones and Melody Anderson, Marc Singer and a few others. They were all very cordial and friendly. Maybe they were there to make some money but for $20 they at least made the experience a little more personable than just "give me your money and you get a picture with my name on it."

I'd say get it signed if it will one day make you smile and remember the encounter with one of your heroes. The money used, think of it as supporting someone whose work you love. I had no problem dishing out the dough for my autos at the FX show, and Michael/Lance were so cool about it that I will never forget the few moments that we had to chat about some of my favorite characters of all time.

They even let us take pictures without extra charge and didn't seem to be bothered by the entire thing. It's a day at work for these guys and extra money to continue their lifestyle... I never lose sight of that.

How much work does Michael get these days anyway? He's a cool actor and I'd hire him in a second but Hollywood doesn't really agree with me there... so I don't mind giving him an few extra bones, dude deserves it. :rock

Just have fun and do what you want man... It will be cool no matter what.

I have a few signed figures. It's not really important, but they are cool to have.

I have a Creature signed by the great Oluf, a 12" Hasbro Vader signed by David Prowse and a whole bunch of stuff signed by Bruce Campbell.

I saw Bruce three different times...He didn't charge anything and he took the time to talk and have photos taken with every single person. At the last signing there were over 400 people.

Personally I have little interest in actor autographs, but I might go out the way to get autos from certain writers and directors.

As for Lou Ferrigno - all he has are the conventions, that's his sole source of income. Royalties from the show have long since ended. He could sign your brand new DVD and you could put it on ebay and get $80 for it, or he could sign a bunch and ebay them himself and keep all the profit.

I think it's kind of sad to see these old TV and movie stars at conventions just trying to make a buck. I really doubt Noell Niell is there to support her coke habit.

Back