Autographed figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that some of these stars from older TV shows from the 60's, 70's and 80's don't earn royalties from reruns and didn't necessarily make that much during the run of the show. For example, Larry Hagman didn't make anything from "I Dream of Jeannie" and felt that for lightening to strike twice (ie two hit shows) he was going to make as much as possible from "Dallas", which he did! Lou may not have made that much from the Hulk TV show and since he wasn't the actual star, probably got little or no royalties.

Edit: Dave beat me to it!

Last edited:
You know, there are some good ones out there, and some bad ones. For some time, I collected autographed pictures and memorabilia.

Some you would expect to be nicer and more humble, are in fact, a$$holez, and some you have heard the media bad mouth are actually the nicest.

I saw Jeremy Bulloch and Peter Mayhew at a show years back when they were in Austin. Shannon Baksa was also there. Mmmm....Mara Jade...

To me, Boba Fett is..Boba FRICKIN Fett. I may not be his biggest fan, but I sure am one of them all the same. He signed a picture for me, but I also had a graphic novel of Boba Fett (Shadows of the Empire). Yes, he charged for the first item, and technically, he SHOULD have charged me for the graphic novel. But during our chat, he learned that I drove a little over two hours just to really see him, and the rest were just bonus.

Peter Mayhew on the other hand, wanted to charge more per item, and that he looked more.... as if he had somewhere else better to go. TO save him some face, he was kind enough to pose for some pictures as well.

Charles Barkley? Media puts him as a mean person, but he signed my basketball when I was in college the 1st day he became a Houston Rocket. At the end of the game, he takes off his shoe, signs it, and gives it to a kid.

David Carr... lil kid, about 5 yrs old, chases after him.. i lend him my marker cause Carr, who was already 30 mins late, and left 5 minutes early, was not stopping for us. You'd think he'd stop for a 5 yr old. Nope. kept walking. and we're still wondering why the h3ll he still plays in Houston.

Just depends on the people. :-/

Lou could make money as a fitness trainer. Heck, if Billy Blanks can keep pimping his Tae Bo then Lou could make endoresements for Bally's health and fitness instead of being a highwayman (no pun intended Highwayman57! :lol) at conventions and leeching off fanboys. That's just cold-blooded and parasitic.

I hate meeting famous people. All that happens is your nice little bubble gets popped. F*ck that. There are only two people that i would ever even consider meeting. One is Johnny the Man Depp because he just can't be uncool. And number two is Mark Hoppus, god that dude is freaking awesome and hilarious.

I have a signed Frank Black, after winning a competition some time ago, and, to me, having Lance Henriksen signature on one of my figures is both novel and exciting. Everyone in the 'Lance chats' knows what an affable man he is. That is what makes his auto exciting for me. If I had had to pay a fee, I wouldn't have wanted it. Lance is just a 'one of a kind' guy I guess.

I wonder how you might feel, Dave, if the signatures you attempted to get, had been more positive experiences. I agree with you, in that, these personalities should not charge fans for their auto's. Whomever sponsors these things should foot the bill, or have these fees incorporated into the persons fees for their attendance. On the other hand, flippers and such are probably the reason that they do lay on the fees.

Lance seems like one cool dude and I would LOVE to have him sign my Frank Black figure because Lance is too cool for school and even though I have never met him in person I could tell from all of the interviews he has done that he is a first-class professional and stand-up guy.

I met Adam West and he signed his Back to the Batcave book and he did it for free. Obviously he was promoting his book by doing it so the fee was paid by the sales of it from the publisher but still it was a personal experience. Besides whenever I get an auto I make sure it is personalized TO ME. I don't go flipping them on ebay to make even more money. I would NEVER buy an autograph on ebay first of all because about 98% of them are forgeries. And who would want to pay big bucks for a name anyways? Unless you meet them and have it authenticated right before your eyes a signature means absolutely nothing. I love Harrison Ford's movies but am I going to drop $3000 on a Millenium Falcon model with his name signed on it? No way.

creecher said:
...On the other hand, flippers and such are probably the reason that they do lay on the fees.

It is exactly the reason some charge. Some actors won't charge anything if it is personalized, but if you just want their signature, they will charge because they figure you are just going to sell it on eBay.

I've had the good fortune to meet a lot of actors after attending Broadway shows during the late 80's when I lived in NY, including Mark Hamill, and except for only a couple, almost without fail, they were all very nice, signed playbills and even talked and took pictures with fans. I thing the convention atmosphere just brings out the worst in some that would otherwise be friendly.

I got a photo auto by Carrie at Comic Con. It was funny because when she asked who she was making it out to, I told her my name and she said it was her father's name. Jokingly I told her I was her father (hoping I din't make a mistake by saying it). She laughed and went "Luke, I am your father". Also got a picture.

Meat and got Dean Haglund's (Lone Gunmen/X-files) too. Me and my mom chated with him for a couple of minutes. Talked about the show, too. Cool guy.

Then I was supposed to get Tarantino's and Rodriguez's, but waited for Kevin Smith's showing (don't get me started). My mom decided to go (with my aunt) and while she was getting Tarantino's she told him a story about watching From Dusk till Dawn and how she thought I shouldn't have been watching it (hey, I was young), but then she got into it. He hurridly grabbed and shook her hand telling her how awesome of a mom she is.:D
During that one of the Wayans (the 'pretty' one my mom told me:eek:) came over and shook Tarantino's hand and saying hi. My mom grabbed him and shouted I know you. He grabbed her and jumped up and down saying "You do! You do! You do!". He bumped into my aunt chest before this and she got pissed and was wondering who the hell this guy is. It took us 10 minutes to tell her who it was.

I think my mom had more fun than me. We already have everything pretty set for this year.

I've heard people complaining about A Wests prices...I heard C Fisher was in a foul mood when she was in London.

A Hopkins has totally stopped signing ttm or IP....got fed up with vendors re-selling (same thing happened with C Norris :()

Obviously legit autographs of legends such as Elvis , Lee , Monroe , Dean , Hendrix & even Ozzy are worth good $$$.....and then there's political autographs , some Swedish guy got Saddams auto just days before his hanging , he'd make good $$$ should he sell it as Saddam (like many politicians) used pre-prints.

I believe Tarantino often snubs auto requests & no signer thru mail like most big stars thus making it very sought after.

Great topic.
Theres a huge comic event in Milton Keynes,England,every Spring and Autumn,and in 2003 i attended and as i knew Robert Davi was going to be there i bought along my Sideshow Sanchez figure for him to sign.
I ve met a few famous people,Terry Wogan,Jonathon Ross,attended a filming of "Top Gear" and hung out with Clarkson May and Hammond,and they ve all been great guys to a man.Robert Davi was no exception.Witty and charming,he was seated at a booth next to Peter Weller and was spending around 5-8 minutes per signee,posing for photos,everything.Guess most of it was related to "The Goonies",and after greeting me with a beaming smile and a big handshake he let out a huge laugh and a cheer when he saw what i d bought for him to sign.When i explained where i wanted it signed,on the back,he duly took the jacket off,held it up and said pointedly to Peter Weller"Do nt you wish you did nt need armour to look that buff?"and everyone laughed except Weller who looked a little bemused:lol
I ll always remember that day and while the Sanchez Bond is nt my favourite per se,because of that memory i ll never part with it.

dekadentdave said:
I just had Carrie Fisher sign at ComiCon too. She was aloof as I expected and it was fun to meet her, albeit brief. Cost me $30. Was it worth it? Probably not but at least I met somebody I admired as a kid so it warmed the heart of the child inside of me.

I was with someone while they got her auto last year as well, she seemed nice enough - though she was late in arriving, which is likely to be expected.

Amy Allen on the other hand (Aayla Secura), wow, what a presence, not only physically but she was a real treat to talk with. Definately down to earth, and there to have fun. Temura Morrison (Jango) was also quite cool. My only auto from the Con was Stan Lee :)bow) and it was FREE, that was an amazing experience.

Back