BSG Auction Warning

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Auction houses typically employ third-party vendors to handle the shipping of items. This is a standard practice in the industry. This is a service and it is not free of charge. Buyers can certainly arrange for their own shipping or pick-up if they like. While there have been some bumps in the road, overall the BSG auction went off very well.

Yes, you are correct that auction houses typically employ third-party vendors and that is the standard practice. However I hardly call CSS being a subsidiary of Propworx and created specifically for the BSG auction a third party vendor. I have emailed Alec directly and stated that all of this headache could have been avoided if he has just been upfront with everyone from the beginning. The constant back peddling and only confirming things when facts are presented to him that contradict his earlier statements makes it look like he was being dishonest with us.
The money I spent on my auction item is a fair amount to me. When red flags start popping up I know to follow my instincts and get out. I think Alec may have gotten in a little deep over his head with this auction. Perhaps his intentions are honorable, but I do not know him and only have the several emails from Alec and Barbara I have received as well as the phone call I had with Barbara to go on. They are all rather contradictory. Even when I emailed Alec raising concerns whether CSS and Propworx were indeed the same he neglected to answer. Only after it was revealed that both websites are run by Alec did he admit that CSS is a subsidiary of Propworx. Why couldn't he have just said all this in the beginning? It wouldn't have been a big deal - but the way this was handled is just poor business in my book.

I will say that Alec has been very prompt in all his replies to me, which I have truly appreciated.

Ahhh here in lies the real reason for your rant. BUYERS REMORSE.

As someone else stated - I received that rant from one of the hundreds of people that now have my email address and continue to flood it daily. I have not sent out any mass emails. I've corresponded with a few people privately who emailed me first, but I won't send out any mass emails because I find it a violation of our privacy.
And sorry it is not buyer's remorse. I had budgeted for this expense. The fact that it has become such a headache for me over the last week makes me realize that it is no longer worth the hassle.
I am glad Alec has finally come forward with his latest email and has discussed the issues that have been so frustrating for everyone. As I have stated before, if this was done in the beginning, I highly doubt any of this would be happening. It has been a hard lesson learned for all of us and I'm moving on. I'll get my refund and take my business elsewhere. I do hope the remaining auctions run more smoothly and congrats to all those who had winning bids.

Wow, what a clusterfrak. I'm kinda glad I didn't win that CIC phone now. I don't have any problem with the shipping company being propworx but I do have a problem with "hidden" fees and dishonest dealings. The email thing is bush league as well.

Wow, what a clusterfrak. I'm kinda glad I didn't win that CIC phone now. I don't have any problem with the shipping company being propworx but I do have a problem with "hidden" fees and dishonest dealings. The email thing is bush league as well.

Yeah I don't think anyone would have had a problem with CSS being part of Propworx. It's just the way this has all been handled that has been so frustrating. No more online live auctions for me. I'll only bid if I am present and can pick up my items directly.

Now that all the details are out in the open, I don't think anyone would have a problem with bidding on the next set of auctions.

But I think we can all agree that a handling fee that can be over 10% of the purchase price needs to be disclosed up front. I assume that on the next round it will be.

Now that all the details are out in the open, I don't think anyone would have a problem with bidding on the next set of auctions.

But I think we can all agree that a handling fee that can be over 10% of the purchase price needs to be disclosed up front. I assume that on the next round it will be.

In Alec's latest email he stated that in future auctions they will be going with a different shipping service as is normally done with big auction houses. I think this is a wise choice. And it is best to have everything disclosed up front so potential buyers are well informed and there are no misunderstandings. Things should definitely run more smoothly from here on out.

Here is that email:
Dear BSG Auction winner:

Due to the acrimony we created over the handling fees that are being charged, Propworx has decided to absorb those expenses ourselves and not charge any handling fees. Please note that exact shipping and any crating fees (for large items) will be charged at cost as noted in the catalog. We apologize for any problems we have caused along the way.

We started Collectible Shipping Service and put Barbara Lindley in charge of it, in order to provide a service that could control the packing and shipping of your valuable collectibles and be less expensive that traditional live auction shipping services. Knowing full well that using an outside fulfillment provider meant a higher cost to you and loss of control over the quality of the shipping, we decided to keep control over that. Since the lack of specific handling fees beforehand has caused so much consternation, we will remove that problem. No handling fees will be charged.

For the next live auction, Propworx has decided to use an outside fulfillment provider and they will be brought in before hand and provide their information on shipping and handling fees up front. To be honest, it is much easier for Propworx to have nothing to do with fulfillment and we only did so in the best interest of the collectors. However, we will follow the model of every large auction house and secure an experienced, professional fulfillment house for the next auction for collectors to deal with.

May I also suggest, if you want to chat about the auctions or shipping, you join the Battlestar Galactica Prop & Costume Forum which you can find here:

https://forums.battlestarprops.com/index.php?

There are a ton of fellow buyers who participate in a conversation, ask questions, and share stories. It is the best way to find out anything you need to know about the auctions and talk to fellow collectors.

Once again, our apologies for the errors we have made along the way, and as always, if you wish to chat, or have an issue, please call.

Sincerely,

Alec Peters
CEO
Propworx

That's probably smart, but essentially he's saying - "since you complained so much, here's the more expensive method - hope you're happy now."

That's probably smart, but essentially he's saying - "since you complained so much, here's the more expensive method - hope you're happy now."

At least everyone knows where they stand now, no more need for lies

Cant say this has done PropWorx any favours though

So a "finger in the air" heres an even more expensive method, will have the same effect I guess

Last edited:

:lol:lol:lol You are probably right about that. Hope he just realizes that if everything had been disclosed from the get-go no one would have had any reason to complain and CSS may have even made a profit.

This is the way he's always done business Jen, but this time he wasn't as flash as previous times.

I thought this guy was supposed to be a professional, and had done numerous, or had experience with, auctions. Why did he decide to, not do anything illegal, to this extent? I guess it's not illegal to lie and deceive, hey that's called business no matter how shady, but breaching privacy laws is a legally liable offense. Distract and bring attention to other reasons and excuses and keep stum about that set of events, then ly low and see if anyone wants any court action.

Who's to say which method is more expensive if an alternative is not given as an option. More expensive for whom? The guy did nothing wrong, it's always been done this way, is that why he's back peddling, is that why he's going to change how things are done next time? He doesn't have a problem because these unpaid items will again go under the hammer, so what's the problem? Seems like it was all just a dream.

Still he likes to flip the bird at his customers and make them pay for the honour, which should make him happy, and what a lovely way for a professional businessman to act. I guess it is only the politicians who care. Shame shame shame.

they dont lose money, universal absorbs it. yeah alec is working at a loss for the love of fans, he gets a percentage on net selling price after costs sy=uch as ebay fees excess ostage. thats why he was deceptive and set up Collectible shipping a company he "selected touse' becaus ethey were cheaper..not, then when it was found he was the registrant, he changed it to provate registry...THAT made it look even worse. We should write to universale VP of marketing.

El Ran...BSG is Battlestar Galactica On teh BSG Alec Shrine err forum he deletes anyoen who posts things he doesnt like. lol
and things that would help the biz and resolve the problems.

. wow if he ever loses his arse h*le there are many members who's lips can be used to make a mold for a new one

:lol:lol:lol You are probably right about that. Hope he just realizes that if everything had been disclosed from the get-go no one would have had any reason to complain and CSS may have even made a profit.

Exactly, it was the lies, deception, and "According to our arrangement with Propworx, the fees are supposed to be" what ? 3 hours later, after many complaints they mixed up all their auction clients??

Most 'licensed' auction houses charge, but they do it upfront not shady. and on a correctly set rate schedule. He is so inexperienced. just startied collecting in the fall of 06, and didnt seek help or advice he ruined it for so many. what shoudl have been fun is now a bad ongoing experience

Jen, He doesnt realize, never will, he and minions attack anyone who has a problem or even points out what went wrong and how to avoid it. His ego is enourmous and unfortunately unfounded.

Creecher the email about the CSS 'arrangement' may fall under deceptive business practices act.

Also most were charged sales tax even though they did not reside in california. Took me a long time to get it refunded, then i was charged for the auction again WITH TAX!! Unless propworx has offices in all states he is not authorized to collect tax so i wonder what will happen with that extra money??

update: feb 4: i just learned that alec was allowed to bid in the auctions, where he had a vested interested in the outcome. does that seem right. he has access to forums where peopel post their bids, access to high bid info and can raise bidding up to others maximums. If he wanted a prop im sure nbc would have sold it outright for arranging the event. christies, which he likes to compare so much does not allow employees or their families to bid.

And comparing christies in NYC an established company to his first attempt is unreal. Theyre in NYC and ran the trek salesmoothly, Who has their BSG items yet. all these problems and no apologies EVER, just excuses and then threats of see how much a third party shipping company will charge in the future.

its just another thing that seems shady. even if he means well all the way, every step has been shady, the css comapny, making the registry private after someone found out he owned it, css claiming they had a different arrangement with propworx when its the same person and nly after complaints, and now finding out he was bidding driving up prices in a situation where he recives a percentage of the sales.. does this seem like ok business practices ?

Last edited:
A very 'positive' second to last post by PR guy 'Jonathon' over at the BSG forums

Jonathon said:
quickly resolved by Propworx to the satisfaction of an overwhelming majority of customers (I believe it is in the high 90%).

Jen care to comment whats the feeling in your forced 'Newsletter' ???? on 90%

and an 'aside' from one of the other mods to my original post (you know the standing behind the bigger friend calling names type deal)

https://www.battlestarforum.com/showthread.php?t=2520

Not that I take this guys opinion to reflect that forum or its owner (Probably Jonathons is the best opinion to take for that)

But I thought the last comment by one of their mods to be pertenant and due to the fact that, the thread there is locked and therefore I cant retort, I thought I would do it here

Genji2000 said:
Hear, hear. Internet sensationalisation, more like. Mountains out of molehills.

Not to mention spelling. "Ripped of"???

Im sure it felt like a 'molehill' to those involved :rolleyes:

and I wonder how this would have played out had the fans of the show and those directly involved not spoken up about how these fans were being treated

Thats the benefit of the internet and free speech as you lock one thread another pops up :) some where else

Last edited:
Well I had asked for a refund and Alec and Auction Network were quick to respond. There were things that were questionable to me which made me decide to back out. I appreciate Propworx and Auction Network for refunding my money promptly.

As a consumer - I can choose who I want to do business with and who I don't. Now that my refund is back to me I can finally put all of this behind me.

I hope that things work out for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back