Classic Comedians - Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers, Stooges, Hope/Crosby, Martin/Lewis

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Classic Comedians Thread - starting with Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy

ahh memories:)

Check out these lunatics

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcTjhUN_7U&feature=related[/ame]

and laurel and hardy

from 6.20

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSPUjKbjcXg[/ame]

Last edited:

Dunno about comedy my heart was in my mouth watching those clips.
Did'nt see no saftey lines or stunt doubles.
Amazing though:)

Hey Sparkstron...

After watching the clips and reading your comments, I became curious on how Harold Lloyd actually filmed those scenes...quite dangerous...read below:

A stuntman revealed for the first time in the television documentary, Hollywood, that Harold Lloyd actually climbed a fake building facade that was constructed over another building's rooftop, positioned so the camera angle could capture the street scene below. The stuntman also revealed that he doubled for Lloyd in the long shots of him climbing the building in the distance. Up until then, even the Time-Life version of Safety Last! that was aired on PBS contained an opening title declaring that Harold Lloyd climbed the building himself and without the use of a stuntman or trick photography. The stuntman chose to suppress this information until Lloyd's death, and yet, he did not want to detract from the danger of Lloyd's actual stunt work. Lloyd performed the majority of the stunts himself on the rigged facade over a small platform, which was built near the rooftop's edge and still had to be raised a great height to get the proper street perspective for the camera. The size of the platform did not offer much of a safety net, and had Lloyd fallen, there was the risk he could have tumbled off the platform.

The stuntman stated that he chose to suppress this information until Lloyd's death, and yet, he did not want to detract from the danger of Lloyd's actual stunt work. Lloyd performed the majority of the stunts himself on the rigged facade over a small platform, which was built near the rooftop's edge and still had to be raised a great height to get the proper street perspective for the camera. The size of the platform did not offer much of a safety net, and had Lloyd fallen, there was the risk he could have tumbled off the platform.

Camera angles and a set built upon an existing building that provides the proper background.

All in camera effects. The actors were in no real danger.

Well that is what films are all about illusion and the suspension of disbelief.
Certainly worked on me, great performances none the less:)

Laurel and Hardy in...Blotto!

8fcf60b7.jpg

4534c9b0.jpg

d0d790c4.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just love it!!!

The only thing missing is Stan's Hanky.

And... by the way... here is the scene this was taken from:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liKnNP2ODj8[/ame]

Great job, Jerry

Thats a great diao setup, love it:)

Funny clip not a massive fan of laurel and hardy now, loved them as a kid but sort of forgot about them.
Remembering why I liked them back then, infectious watching that clip you can't help but laugh:)

Yes, that clip is my favorite of theirs...you can't help but laugh along with them! It seems like they were having genuine fun...

Last edited:

Inspector clouseau is another classic that I'd love to own.
Figure master les walker made a brilliant figure of him but I can't find a pic of it, will keep looking;)

Hey Sparks...

Hope you find those Peter Sellers pics, I'd love to see them. He was a great actor and master of slapstick.

Interesting enough, Sellers played Chance the Gardener in "Being There" and based a lot of that character on Stan Laurel. Sellers was a big Stan Laurel fan. If you watch the film with that in mind you can see Sellers is using Stan as his inspiration for the role.

Found them after a long and enjoyable trall of Mr Les Walkers work.
And even found his groucho and chaplin to boot.

Buuuuuuummmmm?
Enjoy:)

Hey Sparkston,

Thanks for posting those! I had never seen an Inspector Clouseau 1/6 figure before, and Les did a great job on him (and the others as well)...

If anyone knows...

Whatever happened to Les? Is he still active here?

Clouseau looks great! Thanks for giving us a peek...

Have you any idea of who did the head sculpt and paint?

It seems like I've heard that story way too many times on this forum.

Really talented guy goes off the rails and leaves people hanging. It's like an occupational hazard....

Yeah, I agree Jim...it's interesting...I've (maybe) learned some things from this hobby and forum. First is patience. We live in an instant gratification world, and that does not translate well into people asking others to sculpt and create things for them. Secondly, this is a hobby (from both buyer and seller perspective)) and it is difficult to turn this into a business (from a sellers perspective). It can certainly help augment income, but when creators cross the line and start to accept more than they can handle, they can easily fall behind. Finally, all it takes is one difficult circumstance in life (and we all face them) to delay or even cause default on an order. It seems that Les, The Farrow, and others have had the talent, but other factors became involved...
I think maybe that is why I enjoy comedy from an earlier era...a simpler time, cleaner more wholesome comedy that took you away from day to day cares instead of reminding you of them. Call me old fashioned if you wish...

Back