DarkArtist's End of the Line Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DarkArtist's Creations of DOOM!

Thanks for the Jason comments guys!! I worked really hard on that one and really wanted that mask to look as close to the film as possible. The best thing about the FVJ mask is how dirty and beat up it is... And King... You ever want that done...I'll do it for free.. Just take care of shipping... It was seriously that fun to paint! :cool:

DarkArtist81 said:
Thanks for the Jason comments guys!! I worked really hard on that one and really wanted that mask to look as close to the film as possible. The best thing about the FVJ mask is how dirty and beat up it is... And King... You ever want that done...I'll do it for free.. Just take care of shipping... It was seriously that fun to paint! :cool:

I will most definitley let you know Josh.....man he looks just to damn cool!!!!!!

Thanks King.... I did a few layers of different shades of black and brown... you should see it in person!! Stands out on the shelf now!!! :rotfl

Today I learned a most interesting lesson... clear gloss should not be used to put a shine on plastic boots. :confused:

They never dry. Even after spraying a matte finish on top... they just stay sticky and annoying until you want to toss them out the window. :horror

So it was after a day and a half of messing with them that I finally coated enough gloss black over the top of it that they finally stopped being so sticky.

Next time I'm using Armor All....I've heard good things...Oh well....rant over. :monkey4

On to more customizing....

DarkArtist81 said:
Today I learned a most interesting lesson... clear gloss should not be used to put a shine on plastic boots. :confused:

They never dry. Even after spraying a matte finish on top... they just stay sticky and annoying until you want to toss them out the window. :horror

So it was after a day and a half of messing with them that I finally coated enough gloss black over the top of it that they finally stopped being so sticky.

Next time I'm using Armor All....I've heard good things...Oh well....rant over. :monkey4

On to more customizing....

:lol :lol....I guess some lessons have to be learned the hard way......Whos boots did this happen with?

kingdarkness03 said:
:lol :lol....I guess some lessons have to be learned the hard way......Whos boots did this happen with?

Yeah, that Ceremonial Luke I was practicing on..... I'm glad I got him, though. Even if he was unexpected.. I learned a lot about painting working on him.

I love how he turned out, but I now know how hard it is to paint eyes and how hard it is to achieve a smooth finish on the face but also have depth from varying tones. It's a tough balance. And for that reason alone I think I may invest in an air brush. Just to make faces a little easier on me.

As for the boots... they look good now...thank god. :monkey4

DarthRamuk said:
Nice work, DA! Takes real talent to customise your fav figures. I believe that the one and only great thing about getting into this painstaking hobby is the joy of creating a one-of-a-kind figure.....one better than any exclusive and one which no amount of money can buy!

Thanks Emperor Ramuk....:D

Yeah, that's my thought on it too... Taking something that normally you would not like and making it one of a kind.. Or taking something you love and altering it so that you love it that much more.. Hell, even making something to fill a spot in your collection that has not been filled yet..

It certainly is worth the time and effort when it's all said and done. And the feeling you get when it's all done and others are proud of it as well... Makes it 100% better that perfect.. if such a thing is possible. :D

Josh..theNew Jason and Ash are F'n great !!!!! The Blood on that Ash looks sooo real...you are truely a Dark Artist !!! The Demon Freddy looks nice too..he looks like a Sick demon zombie now !!!! Your figures are now better than the originals !!!! These are the 2 pics I love the most :

111373627RL386797355.jpg

111378522RL915325067.jpg

Another thing, If your ever selling them...I'm there....

Shaihulud said:
Josh..theNew Jason and Ash are F'n great !!!!! The Blood on that Ash looks sooo real...you are truely a Dark Artist !!! The Demon Freddy looks nice too..he looks like a Sick demon zombie now !!!! Your figures are now better than the originals !!!! These are the 2 pics I love the most :

Another thing, If your ever selling them...I'm there....

Thanks Shai! A lot of love and fanboy touches came together to produce these bad boys and I had a blast working on them. Alas, I will probably never sell them... But I will have to keep an eye open and get another one of each just to do it all again and sell them to ya! :D

If that ever comes together, I'll be sure to send you a PM. From one crusader to another!... :chew

You've inspired me to repaint my FVJ mask. Beautiful stuff!!

Customikey said:
You've inspired me to repaint my FVJ mask. Beautiful stuff!!

Thanks so much Mikey! I can't wait to see what you do with it... Love the new Anakin by the way... very good job. I'm so nervous to even try.. though knowing me I just might crack anyway... :rolleyes:

DarkArtist81 said:
Thanks so much Mikey! I can't wait to see what you do with it... Love the new Anakin by the way... very good job. I'm so nervous to even try.. though knowing me I just might crack anyway... :rolleyes:

Well frankly, I've been scared to do the kind of painting you're doing. It's bold and gory and freakish, and I'd love to know more about your process!

Customikey said:
Well frankly, I've been scared to do the kind of painting you're doing. It's bold and gory and freakish, and I'd love to know more about your process!

That's funny because I could say the same about yours....just from the opposite angle. I freak out on the human characters because I can't seem to get skin tone as smooth as I like... Yet I have no problem at all when it comes to the morbid stuff. Jason/Freddy/Evil Ash.... easy as pie..lol.. Luke...hard. :lol

With Jason I just applied a very light dry brush of black and let it dry. Came back the next day and did a darker application of a watered down Brown, darkening the edges and eyeholes of the mask more than the rest.. I burned the jacket in various places, I ran a blade across it in several areas to wear down the fabric.... Lastly I applied a very liberal amount of blood and watered down blood spray in various places...

Freddy I just repainted dark reddish-black and dry brushed various red's, browns and skin color over the top until I had the right effect. The eyes were the hardest thing to do.. Lucky for me FVJ Freddy had the bloodshot thing going so I had "wiggle room" Last I applied clear gloss to his more "open" wounds to give it more realism. I then put a little blood spray on his blades....

Customikey said:
What are you using for blood?

Well, I use a mixture of black and red acrylic most of the time, but sometimes I just use that halloween fake blood, applied with a toothbrush... to get that splatter effect. It dries very light and will rub off if you are not careful, but it sprays better than paint.

And with black and red I can make almost any shade of blood... either darker for that "freshly spilled" look, or lighter for the dried spots.. Personally I like to use a combination of the two to deepen the effect. It works..

Years of horror movies and my attempts at filmaking have finally come to good use!! :rotfl :rotfl

Figures look awesome!! I've repainted and touched up most of my Sideshow figs to not to mention some of the customs I've done. Right now I'm working on the McFarlane 12" Corpse Bride, trying to make it look more like the Jun Planning one. Anyway another tip that worked for me was to dip the Freddy figures pants in some black dye all wadded up. It darkened the pants up nicely and gave them a darker dirtier brown look.

Murderofcrows71 said:
Figures look awesome!! I've repainted and touched up most of my Sideshow figs to not to mention some of the customs I've done. Right now I'm working on the McFarlane 12" Corpse Bride, trying to make it look more like the Jun Planning one. Anyway another tip that worked for me was to dip the Freddy figures pants in some black dye all wadded up. It darkened the pants up nicely and gave them a darker dirtier brown look.

Thanks MOC! Yeah, I just might have to do that with the Freddy pants! The normal staining method with black paint just did not do much to that fabric. I'll have to try out the dye.

Your customs were awesome, I'd love to see that Corpse Bride when you are finished.

I just repainted Anakin's lips, but the pics are not wanting to come out right. So I'll be sure an give you guys a proper update on that next weekend. :D

Ask and you shall receive...
Not done yet with the Corpse Bride but you'll get the idea. McFarlane's 12" fig was way too dark blue, so that was the first to change, then the whole face was repainted more like the Jun Planning 18" figure (which can be seen partially in the pics below). The hair (yarn) was seperated and sprayed with matte sealer to keep it in place. Next to work on the dress, trying to get it the white blue color and then dark blue at the bottom of the train.
My redone ASH fig would go great with that repainted Evil Ash fig if you ever get tired of it. hint, hint. Seriously it looks great, and for the zombie freaks I'll post a pic of my Return of the Living Dead Trash and Tarman custom figs. Take care and keep up the great work.
CorpseBride.jpg

figswall1.jpg

wall2.jpg

figs3.jpg

figs4.jpg

Ash.jpg

indyjones.jpg

I really like the darker 5 O'clock shadow on Connor..looks better than way..

F ****** AWESOME !!!!YOU CUSTOMIZE S-MART ASH AND REGULAR ASH INTO ONE RIGHT????? ALSO IS THAT A LESTAT AND LOUIE CUSTOMS ? IDD LIKE TO SEE MORE PICS OF THEM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back