Hicks and Apone 2nd chance

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...but I do think that the people who actually want the items for themselves instead of to sell should get priority, and in this case that would mean using the waitlist and limiting purchases to one per person...

Who's to say the Wait List wasn't filled with people who wanted to get one to resell?

I also don't really agree with the idea that Sideshow is providing the waitlist as a favor to its customers. I would say that it's at least as much to Sideshow's benefit as it is to the customer's. And does it really take much manpower to run the waitlists -- isn't the system automated?

Well, of course it is a benefit to them as well, but you don't see too many other companies doing this...

As for costs, there is the programming involved, the servers and databases to house the information, the electricity to run and cool the hardware, security, etc. The man hours come in when they have to send emails out, convert to orders, etc.; that all cost money, and adds up quickly!

People that complain need to stick a cork in it.. Welcome to the world of collectibles.. Now go cry yourself to sleep over some warm milk. This coming from a guy that for the most part never flips.

People that complain need to stick a cork in it.. Welcome to the world of collectibles.. Now go cry yourself to sleep over some warm milk. This coming from a guy that for the most part never flips.

:clap

And I love flipping and missed these figures. Oh wells, you win some and lose some. As Bodie said, Welcome to the World of Collectibles!

Because it presumably dated back to before the figures shot up in value. I'm just saying that there's a better chance of people on the waiting list wanting it for themselves.

My guess is those people were filled earlier on from cancellations and declines the first time around, and then, the wait list filled with people once the price shot up.

:clap

And I love flipping and missed these figures. Oh wells, you win some and lose some. As Bodie said, Welcome to the World of Collectibles!

You notice how us evil flipping non true collectors do the least ^^^^^ing when we miss something.:lol:lol:lol

Laugh all you want, the tendency to dismiss any and all criticism of Sideshow in this way is my biggest complaint about this community.

I criticize Sideshow plenty, just not for this ^^^^. There is absolutely no way to make people happy in a situation like this. If they gave these away in a contest, people would ^^^^^ about it. They do it like this people ^^^^^ about it. If they did a lottery, people would ^^^^^. Sideshow shouldn't even bother on stuff like this.

I also don't really agree with the idea that Sideshow is providing the waitlist as a favor to its customers. I would say that it's at least as much to Sideshow's benefit as it is to the customer's. And does it really take much manpower to run the waitlists -- isn't the system automated?

I agree with you Icruise. I think the waitlist serves to help SSC gauge the edition numbers...along with retailer orders of course.

And yes, SSC is a business, so would they maintain the waitlist if it didn't directly affect their bottom line? I doubt it.

The bottom line is this; although it was FRIGGIN AWESOME that SSC would even find and offer these to its newletter membership, they balked on it none the less. As I mentioned, I have not bought any of these but if I could have scored these two, its a possibility that I would have jumped onboard for a ton of SSC stuff related to the Alien's franchise license...and if there are 20...50...100 more guys like me that would have been very good for SSC bottom line. And that type of additional patronige would have netted SSC much more money in the long run than simply selling these figs in the manner that they did.

And still, can someone tell me where in the newsletter that this was mentioned? I can't find it!:banghead

Ok guys, this discussion was remaining civil and being intelligently discussed... let's keep it that way without resorting to name calling and insults please.

When I opened the newsletter and saw Hicks and Apone up for 2nd chance I thought it must be another April fool gag or something. I could hardly believe it. A couple of people here got very lucky indeed. What an unbelievably great score! I have no idea if they really wanted these figures for any other reason than their current market value or not, but I do know there are some major Aliens fans here who've been dying to get their hands on a Hicks or Apone for their collection, but who can't or won't shell out the kind of crazy prices they're going for on ebay these days. It would've been cool if they'd been able to pick one up too.

There have been some understandably angry, or at least irritated remarks, as I expected. I don't blame Sideshow for putting these up for grabs the way they did, but I do believe it would've been more fair to offer them to the people who were on the Wait List first. If it was already closed, then I guess it was just a lousy break for the WL folks, and they have my sympathy, but I don't believe Sideshow intended to snub anyone here. Just my two cents.

Back