Do you acknowledge the Expanded Universe?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which truth do you cling to?

• Film-only continuity

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • Film + EU continuity

Votes: 54 50.9%

• Total voters
pixletwin said:
How is what Cap'n said in anyway censorship? Asking a person to post in a respectful way is censoring them?

A) Faramir wasn't asking people to post in a "respectful way" he was asking people to treat critical analysis of the Book of Mormon as off limits which I find personally offensive. Comparing the Book of Mormon to the EU is dead on. So would be believing in the New Testament vs. just the Torah. It's perfectly valid. And thinking that all religion is crap is also perfectly valid and has just as much place on this board as all those threads asking people to pray for them or their loved ones or asking who else is what religion. If there's going to be regligious talk on this board at all, then it has to be open to critisim as well. Calling a cessation on it only when it critisizes the Book of Mormon is offensive to me.

B) Depending on who defines "respectful", it's the heart of censorship.

I'm not mormon but there's no need to poke fun at it or any religion as nobody here who does believe pokes fun at the non-religious folks. There was no call to bring it up as it has no place in this discussion and is not comparable to the items we're talking about. If you can't find something better to compare it to then I think you might want to try harder to find a comparision. Asking for someone to pray for a loved one is not stepping on the toes of someone who doesn't believe and if you don't hope someones loved one pulls through. Then I ask what the **** is wrong with you! If that bothers you that much ignore that thread there's no reason for "NON" believers to be there anyways. No body is asking you or anyone else to believe.

I wouldn't call comparing any religion to a Sci-Fi movie a "critical analysis". And all Cap said is that it hurt his personal feelings about his religion and to essentially be more conscientious next time.

pixletwin said:
Well I guess we can all invite Kodiak back since he was censored so terribly.

Can we get back to the subject now?

Yes, please.

Hey ,by the way, I've been reading thru Tales From Jabba's Palace and I just loved the story of Boba getting out of the pit alive. I know that's been taken with much criticism. Why is that?

jlcmsu said:
I'm not mormon but there's no need to poke fun at it or any religion as nobody here who does believe pokes fun at the non-religious folks. There was no call to bring it up as it has no place in this discussion and is not comparable to the items we're talking about. If you can't find something better to compare it to then I think you might want to try harder to find a comparision. Asking for someone to pray for a loved one is not stepping on the toes of someone who doesn't believe and if you don't hope someones loved one pulls through. Then I ask what the **** is wrong with you! If that bothers you that much ignore that thread there's no reason for "NON" believers to be there anyways. No body is asking you or anyone else to believe.

Don't lecture me anymore, jlcmsu. I'm not one of your students that have to pretend to care what you think. And I'm not going to argue with you anymore becuase if history proves correct you'll just start name calling and cursing. You've made it clear how much of a hot head you are and now you've proved yourself a hypocrite, too.

My guess is that its people who feel Boba Fett is overrated and would be best left dead in the Sarlacc. But I don't really have anything to base that on, so take it with a grain of salt.

Agent0028 said:
My guess is that its people who feel Boba Fett is overrated and would be best left dead in the Sarlacc. But I don't really have anything to base that on, so take it with a grain of salt.

Ah, that makes sense.

I was actually glad to see a character that didn't get much screen time to still have the possibility of getting filled out a little after the events of ROTJ.

gdb said:
Don't lecture me anymore, jlcmsu. I'm not one of your students that have to pretend to care what you think. And I'm not going to argue with you anymore becuase if history proves correct you'll just start name calling and cursing. You've made it clear how much of a hot head you are and now you've proved yourself a hypocrite, too.

Nothing at all confrontational in that. Can you please move on? :D

Boba was a character with so much potential he had to be fleshed out in the EU to really give him his due. But alot of the threads the OT EU explores gets slightly in to the fantastic... and not in a good way either.

pixletwin said:
Nothing at all confrontational in that. Can you please move on? :D

Boba was a character with so much potential he had to be fleshed out in the EU to really give him his due. But alot of the threads the OT EU explores gets slightly in to the fantastic... and not in a good way either.

I'm not real familiar with the EU. What are some better stories to read that have Boba in them?

gdb said:

I'm not gonna argue with you. You've show the lack of intelligence I require in a conversation as well as a lack of caring. So I don't care to go on with you in this discussion.

Cocoboloboy said:
I'm not real familiar with the EU. What are some better stories to read that have Boba in them?
Dunno if it's one of the "better" ones, but Boba was first resurrected in Marvel Star Wars #81. But by the end of the story he was back in the Sarlacc's maw, along with an entire Jawa Sandcrawler!
He saw more action in Dark Empire and Dark Empire II, and has had several titles of his own.

No worries. Incidentally, I remember an interview with Lucas where he said he considered Fett dead in Jedi, but the EU writers wanted to resurrect him. Lucas could have overruled them, but he didn't.

So I guess that means Fett is dead in film-only continuity, and alive in film + EU continuity.

Sorry to start any problems here, I was just saying that the comments hurt my personal feelings, and I was hoping they would be toned down. If one of my pals was hurt by something I said, I wouldn't say it again around them, not because of censorship (which I am against), but as a personal favor to him--as a friend. It's not about what you can and can't say, just a little courtesy for others. Just like I wouldn't insult your girlfriend or mother to your face, it's not censorship, just being nice. To me that's how it is. Sorry to get all riled up, but it's as though you told me my family was stupid or my friends were jerks. It's a personal thing, ya' know? Sorry, I'm not angry just a little hurt, but all is forgiven. I don't care if you're not religious, I just ask for a little courtesy. No hard feelings though, if there's anything Captain Faramir can't do, it's be angry at anybody. :eek:

Sorry, I hope this clears up some feelings. I just wanted to make sure nobody thought I was censoring or getting angry. Just asking my friends to remember little ol' me. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I do consider the cartoon parts of the Holiday Special canon, even though the rest of it is more along the lines of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory to me. :rotfl

gdb said:
A) Faramir wasn't asking people to post in a "respectful way" he was asking people to treat critical analysis of the Book of Mormon as off limits which I find personally offensive. Comparing the Book of Mormon to the EU is dead on. So would be believing in the New Testament vs. just the Torah. It's perfectly valid. And thinking that all religion is crap is also perfectly valid and has just as much place on this board as all those threads asking people to pray for them or their loved ones or asking who else is what religion. If there's going to be regligious talk on this board at all, then it has to be open to critisim as well. Calling a cessation on it only when it critisizes the Book of Mormon is offensive to me.

B) Depending on who defines "respectful", it's the heart of censorship.
I agree gdb, it was barely mentioned in a simile, no need to get worked up. Telling others they can't say something negative about a religion is censorship, especially when the other side does it in the most public of ways (I can't tell you how many times I've seen a movie depict a non-believer or Atheist as being wrong in their beliefs; Just name any demonic possession movie).
But a critical analysis of religion doesn't need to be gone in depth here and I don't think it has.
Back on topic, I acknowledge the EU as cannon.

Back